IFA 2007 - no new HD DVD hardware, Blu-ray in full swing - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

Default IFA 2007 - no new HD DVD hardware, Blu-ray in full swing

today the exhibitions are up
hd dvd is showing the venturer player and the onkyo player, no other hardware manufacturers have a player up

that is surely a disappointment for hddvd fans after yesterday's influx of new bd standalone manufacturers being announced

hddvd venturer

hddvd onkyo high-end player

bluray in full effect

bluray pioneer bdp-lx70a

bluray sony bdp-s500

bluray sharp bd-hp20

all pics copyright david mackenzie dvdtimes.co.uk
Old 08-31-2007, 10:46 AM

Yep, not looking to good for HD DVD people today. It's times like this when I miss the likes of VC-1. Too bad he's not around so we can tool on him.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

Those are all very pretty blu ray players, but I have a sinking feeling that they'll just all be too rich 4 my blood.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 AM

Default What are you talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Yep, not looking to good for HD DVD people today. It's times like this when I miss the likes of VC-1. Too bad he's not around so we can tool on him.
Cheap HD players are going to Europe and the UK. That is huge. The HD war has to date only been fought in NA, with the PS3 essentially being given a walk the the ROW.

Now we'll have cheap HD players. Do you realize the impact of that?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 AM

Id rather have less manufacturers make affordable players.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:59 AM

There is something we are all missing on this thread.

Where is the price tag of these Blu Ray players?
Are they going to be able to do something more than just profile1.0?

If we do not discuss these issues here, this thread is just a repetitive waste of time.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josuff247 View Post
I second that, to achieve market mass I think you need 2m standalones and that will be achieve by cheaper players even if there is only one company doing them that 10 companies doing Blu players for $300-$400.

I personally dont see this as a war at all I see it as a race, HD DVD to reach 2m standalones therefore being a viable format and not going anywhere and Sony trying to squash them before that happens.

I see the former happening though, pity Blu cant see it
Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josuff247 View Post
Exactly, in my opinion and it is just that, an opinion, regardless of the format, it doesn't matter how many manufacturers make HD DVD or Blu ray players, what matters is that they are affordable, for the general buying public and they work (i.e. reliability and do what the agreed upon standards stated that they would do).

edited for spelling.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:07 AM

Default I had an epiphany when I was *this close* to buying a ps3...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimboli View Post
I second that, to achieve market mass I think you need 2m standalones and that will be achieve by cheaper players even if there is only one company doing them that 10 companies doing Blu players for $300-$400.

I personally dont see this as a war at all I see it as a race, HD DVD to reach 2m standalones therefore being a viable format and not going anywhere and Sony trying to squash them before that happens.

I see the former happening though, pity Blu cant see it
With the 8 free movies and all, I figured what the hell. Buy it. You can play your old PS2 games on it, do it now.

Then I realized that it would a total waste of 600 bucks. I can pickup a PS2 for 100 if I need one, and so why? Blu Ray?

Blu Ray, for all it's technical wizardry, is simply not ready. I blame the BDA for screwing up what should have been a home run.

The group running it are so messed up, the reason: too many cooks.

In a year or so blu ray will be ready and will be better, stable and cheaper.

That is when you should buy in.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:07 AM

You hd-dvd fanboys really crack me up.

First you rally and boo haaa all about consumer choices and now you get comments like "Id rather have less manufacturers make affordable players."

First of all competition means lower prices...hello? I guess when it comes to fanboys, logic goes out the window.