It's over - HD DVD is putting Sony's baby down this week - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-29-2007, 04:41 PM

Wink It's over - HD DVD is putting Sony's baby down this week

Okay, just go to Amazon.com and look at the number 1 seller in video games - The Xbox360 HD DVD add-on is #1, and the PS3 is #3!!!

This is horrible news for Sony. Add this to the fact that the HD DVD players are literally selling like a dollar sale at a whore house!

#1 - A2
#2 - A20
#4 - XA2

If that wasn't enough to convince you, go look at the top selling DVDs on there also. Warning - you Blu-Ray fanboys might just cry and go sell your Blu-Ray3. I am selling mine this weekend, that's the last straw.

This might be the week Toshiba takes the reigns. The attachment rates are extremely high for the HD DVD players - Blu-Ray, not so much. in fact, HD DVD's attach rates are near 10 fold that of Blu-Ray. If HD DVD players outsell Blu-Ray players, which they are doing so by God knows how much on Amazon, and these attach rates hold true, expect Sony to call it quits very soon.

Flame me all you want. HD DVD is in full gear. They got the movies, they got the prices, they got the attachment rate.

I predict that Blockbuster will open their eyes after this weekend. I also predict that Target will fell really stupid!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post
Okay, just go to Amazon.com and look at the number 1 seller in video games - The Xbox360 HD DVD add-on is #1, and the PS3 is #3!!!

This is horrible news for Sony. Add this to the fact that the HD DVD players are literally selling like a dollar sale at a whore house!

#1 - A2
#2 - A20
#4 - XA2

If that wasn't enough to convince you, go look at the top selling DVDs on there also. Warning - you Blu-Ray fanboys might just cry and go sell your Blu-Ray3. I am selling mine this weekend, that's the last straw.

This might be the week Toshiba takes the reigns. The attachment rates are extremely high for the HD DVD players - Blu-Ray, not so much. in fact, HD DVD's attach rates are near 10 fold that of Blu-Ray. If HD DVD players outsell Blu-Ray players, which they are doing so by God knows how much on Amazon, and these attach rates hold true, expect Sony to call it quits very soon.

Flame me all you want. HD DVD is in full gear. They got the movies, they got the prices, they got the attachment rate.

I predict that Blockbuster will open their eyes after this weekend. I also predict that Traget will fell really stupid!

TOTALLY agree, Sony will be packing it in soon I am sure................
Old 08-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

VC-1 is back...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Wow, another thread about the add-on and Amazon sales rankings.

A. There is already a thread for this.
B. This should go in the Sales and data area.
C. HD DVD needs to sell a LOT of add-ons and players to catch the PS3, so while this is good news, as long as the PS3 sells a comparable amount, the gap doesn't close by a whole lot (understanding that not everyone is buying a PS3 for movies, though).
Old 08-29-2007, 04:47 PM

check out this:
www.gizmodo.com scroll down a bit

"Is this the stake in the heart of Blu-Ray?"

WOW HOW THING"S HAVE CHANGED!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:48 PM

i would call this thread 'Counting Chickens Before they Hatch'

Until official numbers come out, we can't really say who is taking what from week to week. We can guess, and often we will be right, but I don't know if this is one of those times.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:50 PM

i have to admit i really dont like it when threads like this are made saying the war is over...they day it is over is when sony makes an hd dvd palyer or toshiba makes a blu-ray..bottom line
Old 08-29-2007, 04:52 PM

Proclaiming the war over because Amazon is having a sale?

How silly.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:53 PM

Sony isn't going anywhere hddvd fanboys. You guys are misguided. Hear are some news tidbits from today only:

Studio Canal Now Supports Blu-ray

Posted August 29, 2007

Studio Canal Studio Canal has revealed an upcoming Blu-ray boxset for the three 'Les Bronzes' films, making it the first Blu-ray release to come from the formally HD DVD exclusive studio. The Studio Canal library is very extensive, as they distribute titles for many of the major studios. No release date specs have been released at this time.

Singulus Reports New Blu-ray Production Line Orders

Posted August 29, 2007

Blu-ray Movies Singulus has announced that they have received two new orders for Blu-ray production lines to be delivered to customers in Asia and Europe. These new orders clearly show the momentum Blu-ray is gaining internationally. Initially, these two plants will exclusively produce BD-25s, but can easily be upgraded for BD-50 production.

DTS has announced that their booth at CEDIA will feature numerous electronic devices from major consumer electronics manufacturers that support DTS-HD Master Audio (MA). These companies include Sony, Samsung, Denon, Pioneer, and Yamaha. DTS-HD MA is a lossless audio codec providing "studio master" quality for Blu-ray discs and is extensively used by Fox and MGM on their Blu-ray releases.

Brian Towne, Senior Vice President & General Manager, Consumer Division at DTS commented, "The consumer electronics industry has been incredibly supportive of DTS-HD Master Audio, and we expect to see a wave of products featuring DTS-HD capabilities this fall and beyond from all of the major manufacturers."

More information is to be revealed at CEDIA.

BDA Has Big Plans for IFA

Posted August 29, 2007

IFA The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) will be one of the main attraction at this year's IFA Consumer Electronics Tradeshow, which officially kicks-off on Friday. At their display, the BDA will display one of the largest showcases of Blu-ray technology, including consumer electronics, professional equipment, and movie media.

The BDA will also be holding a press event - scheduled for tomorrow - which will feature representatives from 20th Century Fox, Warner Home Video, Sony Pictures, and Disney Corp.

Sun Microsystems will be hosting a series of "Java Powered Blu-ray Disc Developer Forums" where they will showcase the interactive power of BD-Java. Here, content owners can get hands-on experience with how they can enhance their titles using Java on Blu-ray discs.

The BDA plans to use IFA as a milestone for Blu-ray to become the next generation content standard, as they plan to showcase what has been achieved since CES earlier this year.

WB standing with Sony at this show. WOW Nobody is giving up on Blu. Blu-Ray and PS3 will be around for years to come!! Don't you worry. I hope one day you see that light, but perhaps not. What a shame!!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
i would call this thread 'Counting Chickens Before they Hatch'

Until official numbers come out, we can't really say who is taking what from week to week. We can guess, and often we will be right, but I don't know if this is one of those times.
Count your own chickens, man.

HD DVD players are outselling Blu-Ray players on Amazon. If you deny that, you can't read sales rank data.

When the 360 add-on is above the PS3, and 3 standalone HD DVD players are way ahead of the first Blu-Ray player on the list, it proves that HD DVD is outselling Blu-Ray at this moment.

You know what's sad? - The XA2, which is #4 on the list, costs more than the standalone Blu-Ray player at #17! To me, this shows consumer confidence. Sure they are getting their free movies with the HD DVD stand alones, but hey, incentives are what drives the game. Blu-Ray is currently getting crushed. Be prepared to see some actual sales numbers that Blu-Ray camp won't like.

As far as the above post about this being a duplicate - I saw no post where the 360 HD DVD add on hit #1, so this is news to me and I think it's worth a thread.