Why is two HD formats bad but multi formats/choices for everything else OK? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-20-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Why is two HD formats bad but multi formats/choices for everything else OK?

PS3 vs XBox vs Wii. Ford vs Chevy. Apple vs PC. Etc, etc, etc.

Guys.... the formats or brands or whatever you want to call them make things BETTER overall. Why is this sooooooo hard to grasp? Look how quickly FOX came out of their impenetrable shell and announced some solid titles. Look at how it is VERY likely that BD will have to lower stand alone player prices. Why is any of that bad? Hell, I'm close to grabbing a BD stand alone player. Stop acting like your dog just died.....

J6P adoption? My reply to that comment is simply that just because one or the other formats ends up winning, J6P is not going to suddenly go to BB or CC and drop $500 bucks on a player and 5 movies. Its just not gonna work that way. Before that happens, costs will have to keep coming down which is a product of the format battle. Ease of use & quality will have to go up...which is also a product of the format battle.

Please gents, on both sides..... this is a GOOD THING for HD media!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:46 PM

I have never been able to read and honest answer as to why not.
Let's see what happens this time
Old 08-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

Ford v Chevy both use the same roads. If Fords used one type of road and Chev used a different type, you might have a point. Apple is a niche product. game consoles are also niche products. For format adoption, it needs to not be a niche product. Otherwise it is an enthusiast's market and they lose interest in niche markets and the supply of movies trickles down to a few titles here and there.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:48 PM

It's not bad, it's business. What you have here is a bunch of Kids who are PS3 fanboys (oh, I'm sorry, Blu-ray supporters ) who have no idea how the free market, economics, and business work.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM

It will cause people to not want to get stuck with the losing format. Also, consumers want access to ALL the movies, not just a portion of them. Gamers put up with it because they want to play games. J6P probably won't, especially because he already has a technology called DVD that he is happy with.

Dual-format players, however, will easily address this issue. Even if the HD market is split down the middle indefinitely, if there is a reasonably priced dual-format player, it simply won't matter. Think of it as Ford and Chevy on gravel and paved roads. Now, the Ford can only drive on gravel, and Chevy on paved roads...but now they are releasing Fords and Chevys that can drive on both...no problem.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:53 PM

I just want cinemaphiles to start having an impact on this "war" instead of only gamers. Gamers have influenced this "war" way too much IMO.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
I have never been able to read and honest answer as to why not.
Let's see what happens this time
You'd be fine with two formats?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:55 PM

Gamers have been able to not get confused about competing platforms for 3 decades. HD movie connoisseurs will be just fine as well. BD fans are just following Bill 'The Pied Piper' Hunt's lead right now and crying irrationally and making up conspiracy theories.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
PS3 vs XBox vs Wii. Ford vs Chevy. Apple vs PC. Etc, etc, etc.

"Etc, etc, etc."...???

You mean, like...

-"TurboGrafx vs Genesis"?
-"Dreamcast vs PS2"?
-"DVD vs VHS"?
-"DVD vs LD"?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:58 PM

Default I still plan to pick up cheap BD player

There are a few movies in the BD camp that compels me to.

Not many, but 7 is the magic number.

You see, I like the movies, not the disc.