Paramount news will drop BD player prices? I hope so, because I'll buy one! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Paramount news will drop BD player prices? I hope so, because I'll buy one!

Hey, if anything, maybe this will entice the BDA to get some reasonable prices for the stand-alone players so those of us that are not "married" to one format can "swing" a bit if you know what I mean.

I have been comtemplating a BD player for a few weeks now but I keep stumbling over the $500++ dollar price tag for a player that right now anyways will not get much use since there arent a lot of BD titles I would buy. Like I said, that might change soon. If the ost was right then I would buy one and I suspect many others might too.

So, I am thinking that this Paramount deal will possibly help BD players sell better because they'll have little choice but to drop the esoteric pricing schemes.

Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:54 PM

It's possible. Since before blu-ray had stronger studio support only thing going for HD DVD was hardware prices. So BDA didn't really have to compete too strongly there. Now that studio support is even they may have to.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:04 PM

With the paramount swing i might aswell now go neautral.Here in the uk the ps3 is still cheaper than the Tosh HD XA2 (EX1).
Hopefully i can find a nice member who lives over the other side of the pond to do some sort of deal for me and import me one over without the Import duty and other charges

(open to offers)

That and the matrix is finally going to be released here in the UK on HD DVD
Old 08-20-2007, 04:05 PM

No. Now I have less reasons to buy a Blu ray player.
I do not even see Fox on the game anymore.
The only thing that matters about Blu ray is Pixar from now on.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:13 PM

It would be the smart thing to do. I went with HD-DVD because of the price. If Blu-Ray players are lowered to $200-$250, I will buy one of those too. I don't think it will happen any time soon. Besides (warning: n00b here), the format already benefited from the PS3 price reduction.