The Proper Comparison of HD-DVD & BD Titles. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned

Default The Proper Comparison of HD-DVD & BD Titles.

As alot of people on here already know and alot of people on here stubbornly deny, Comparing movies across the board is absolutely pointless. It ignores so may important issues that it really does border on pointless. Some of the important issues that are in fact ignored when doing this kind of comparison include what kind of film was used, is it stylized, does it use filters such as soft focus filters, fog filters or even colored filters, Was it shot in Super-35 or standard anamorphic, did it have intermediate prints made, who directed it, what year was it made, was it 35mm, 65mm or even digital? Those are just a few of the many important variables that you simply must take into account when doing any sort of comparison.

One proper way to do a comparison would be in fact to compare all of the 65mm films shot, all of the Super-35 films shot, all of the HD films shot with certain HD cameras. All of the cross processed films and so on and so on.

So without further delay, here is one of the proper ways of comparing films, I will be dong more of these in the future and will expand my work to more than just this website as well. For now here is the comparison of all cross platform films (Films on both HD-DVD and BD) that are on this website.

What we have is 43 titles that are in fact on both BD & HD-DVD and out of that 43, Only 27 were given a numerical rating that can in fact be compared to each other. The other 15 titles were not given numerical ratings and thus cannot be used in this thread. Out of the 15 that were in fact not given numerical ratings, most of them were in fact given an equal verbal rating by the reviewer. There were a couple that favored HD-DVD like Training Day & Good Night & Good Luck and there was one that 1 that I remember that was in Blu Rays favor and that was U2's Rattle & Hum. So concentrating on the titles that can in fact be numerically compared this is what we get.

27 Films numerically compared

HD-DVD Picture (107.5/27) = 3.981
HD-DVD Audio (101.5/27)= 3.759

BD PIcture (106.5/27) = 3.944
BD Audio (97.5/27) = 3.611

What we get is both not surprising and is surprising. What isnt surprising is that HD-DVD has a slightly higher Picture quality. What was utterly shocking was the fact that HD-DVD was farther ahead in Audio quality than it was in picture quality and that was something I never expected to see.

Again I will continue to expand this by adding different websites results and keeping it up to date with new releases. I also plan on adding a 3rd category and that is of the bonus extra content. All of the major sites score for it so it should be a number that is in fact compared and judged accordingly. Extras are important and most level headed people admit to such.

HD-DVD in the lead.....

OC...

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 01-05-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
As alot of people on here already know and alot of people on here stubbornly deny, Comparing movies across the board is absolutely pointless. It ignores so may important issues that it really does border on pointless. Some of the important issues that are in fact ignored when doing this kind of comparison include what kind of film was used, is it stylized, does it use filters such as soft focus filters, fog filters or even colored filters, Was it shot in Super-35 or standard anamorphic, did it have intermediate prints made, who directed it, what year was it made, was it 35mm, 65mm or even digital? Those are just a few of the many important variables that you simply must take into account when doing any sort of comparison.

One proper way to do a comparison would be in fact to compare all of the 65mm films shot, all of the Super-35 films shot, all of the HD films shot with certain HD cameras. All of the cross processed films and so on and so on.

So without further delay, here is one of the proper ways of comparing films, I will be dong more of these in the future and will expand my work to more than just this website as well. For now here is the comparison of all cross platform films (Films on both HD-DVD and BD) that are on this website.

What we have is 43 titles that are in fact on both BD & HD-DVD and out of that 43, Only 28 were given a numerical rating that can in fact be compared to each other. The other 15 titles were not given numerical ratings and thus cannot be used in this thread. Out of the 15 that were in fact not given numerical ratings, most of them were in fact given an equal verbal rating by the reviewer. There were a couple that favored HD-DVD like Training Day & Good Night & Good Luck and there was one that 1 that I remember that was in Blu Rays favor and that was U2's Rattle & Hum. So concentrating on the titles that can in fact be numerically compared this is what we get.

28 Films numerically compared

HD-DVD Picture (107.5/27) = 3.981
HD-DVD Audio (101.5/27)= 3.759

BD PIcture (106.5/27) = 3.944
BD Audio (97.5/27) = 3.611

What we get is both not surprising and is surprising. What isnt surprising is that HD-DVD has a slightly higher Picture quality. What was utterly shocking was the fact that HD-DVD was farther ahead in Audio quality than it was in picture quality and that was something I never expected to see.

Again I will continue to expand this by adding different websites results and keeping it up to date with new releases. I also plan on adding a 3rd category and that is of the bonus extra content. All of the major sites score for it so it should be a number that is in fact compared and judged accordingly. Extras are important and most level headed people admit to such.

HD-DVD in the lead.....

OC...
Yes but we all know the 1st Blu-ray movies were pants. What I want to see is new movie quality.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarakoMeshi View Post
Yes but we all know the 1st Blu-ray movies were pants. What I want to see is new movie quality.
So? Who's to blame for that?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarakoMeshi View Post
Sorry but most of the titles that were in fact crap were Exclusive to Sony (Fifth Element Etc..) Besides that fact none of the 1st dual format films are even included in this. The first 15 films this website reviewed which were the first titles released, this website didn't use a numerical value for them, It just gave them a verbal rating and I explained in this thread that because of that fact that they cant be used. This thread is only for the films that had a numerical value and they are all of the films that have been released lately.

Again none of the early crappy films from Sony are included in this and if they were you can bet that it would skew the results even farther in HD-DVD's favor.

Here are the films that this thread directly compares:

Titles

16 Blocks
A Christmas Story
Aeon Flux
ATL
Corpse Bride
Lady In The Water
Million Dollar Baby
MI 3
Mission Impossible Missions
Nacho Libre
National Lampoons Vacation
Phantom Of The Opera
Reds
Sahara
Sky Captain World Tomorrow
Sleepy Hollow
Superman The Movie
Superman II Donner Cut
Superman Returns
The Ant Bully
The Fugitive
The Italian Job
The Searchers
Tomb Raider
Under Siege
Unforgiven
World Trade Center

And here are the early releases where this site doesnt use a numerical rating system thus they werent used.
Blazing Saddles

Firewall
Four Brothers
Full Metal Jacket
Good Night & Good Luck
House of Wax
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
Rumor Has It
Space Cowboys
Swordfish
Syriana
The Lake House
Training Day
U2 Rattle & Hum

Again This website switched to a numerical format after the 15th dual format release thus all of the early release for BD are in fact not incuded in this comparison. Only films that had numerical values that could be in fact directly compared to each other are included. Dony worry tho, I am going to expland this to more websites and those other websites will have numerical values starting from the first title so we will get an even better picture of the overall comparison between the 2 formats and the titles that have been released on both. I plan on doing DVDTalk and a few others.

But as we are right now with this site. HD-DVD is very slightly ahead in PQ and also ahead in AQ which shocked me so much that I went back and redid the math like 3 times just to make sure it wasnt a mistake.

Advantage HD-DVD...

OC...
Old 01-05-2007, 10:55 PM

Since this thread reeks of logic, I expect it to die fairly quickly.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:58 PM

It will be interesting to see if this holds as more BR movies move to the 50gig disks.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
It will be interesting to see if this holds as more BR movies move to the 50gig disks.
If anything, the scores will become so close that there won't be much difference between the two formats.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Yes I agree, which is why I set out to do this besides of course I had to do a proper comparison since this board is chock full of Dobys poor attempt at doing a comparison (Srry Doby but its true). They just lump everything in together and try and make it seem like it means something when it couldnt be farther from the truth. Somone had to step forward and do a proper comparison of the films released on both formats as those are really the only ones you can compare together and get any real relevant data from.

Since nobody was coming forward with it, I decided to do it myself. Future updates are of course coming.

OC...
Old 01-06-2007, 12:10 AM

A proper comparison reveals the obvious. The differences in PQ and AQ are marginal at best. We cannot argue the superiority of either format when in fact they are so close in numerical value. Nicely done, OC.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:14 AM

Haha new thread title I think..
Quote:
Since people posted averages from some websites that claim BR is slightly better than HD-DVD, I think I'll move around the numbers until they show what I want
This is what you sound like OC. Just give it up, the numbers posted in that other thread by dobyblue (I think) are pretty damn meaningless, but your attempt to argue against them in this thread just reeks of pathetic. I seriously doubt you will convince any prospective buyer anything by 0.002 difference in some obscure metric you just pulled out of your ass. Although I guess it will be possible through your thread to reassure those who already invested in HD-DVD, and make them feel better about their investment.