DTS to issue Blu-ray/HD DVD DTS-MA samplers at CES - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

Default DTS to issue Blu-ray/HD DVD DTS-MA samplers at CES

http://www.dtsonline.com/company/pre...cID=3&yID=2007
Quote:
DTS Highlights Range of Applications on the 2007 CES Show Floor for the First Time

Company Distributes New DTS-HD Master Audio™ Sampler Discs in HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc Formats To Attendees

Agoura Hills, CA – Underscoring its mainstream growth in consumer electronics, digital entertainment innovator DTS, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTSI) will showcase its technologies at a booth on the main floor of the 2007 Consumer Electronics Show, January 8-12, in Las Vegas. Highlighting the breadth of its offerings in the CE, PC, Broadcast and Professional Audio arenas, DTS will also distribute Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD sampler discs featuring DTS-HD Master Audio™. Show attendees can visit DTS at booth #1 21544, South Hall, Las Vegas Convention Center.

“We are excited to be exhibiting on the main show floor for the first time after years of highly praised DTS audio showcases in the suites above the Las Vegas Convention Center,” said Brian Towne, Senior Vice President & General Manager, Consumer Division at DTS. “Last year at CES, DTS reached a new zenith with the debut and demonstration of DTS-HD Master Audio, our bit-for-bit high definition audio technology for the next generation optical disc formats. This year, in addition to continuing our strong support of DTS-HD™, we also will emphasize the range of areas in which we’ve grown, including the PC, broadcast, car audio and video game console spaces.”

At CES this year DTS will feature:

Live demonstrations of the DTS-HD Master Audio Suite software for encoding and quality assurance process used in content creation
Next generation HD DVD Blu-ray Disc players featuring DTS-HD Master Audio
7.1-channel DTS-HD Master Audio playback of tracks from acclaimed Electronica Composer / Producer BT’s newest release, This Binary Universe, from DTS Entertainment
DTS and Coding Technologies complete surround sound solution for digital broadcasting
Newest PC and car audio applications of DTS Digital Surround
DTS will also distribute the company’s new and exclusive HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc sampler discs featuring DTS-HD Master Audio. Available only to DTS booth visitors, the discs will feature DTS-HD Master Audio movie and music clips produced in 1920 x 1080p high definition video with audio that is bit-for-bit identical to the master soundtrack. The discs include 7.1-channel tracks from famed musicians BT and Omar Hakim, as well as 5.1-channel tracks from Peter Gabriel and Pat Metheny, and clips from the films Ice Age: The Meltdown and Fantastic Four.

Additionally, during the show DTS will hold a daily special drawing for a Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD player for attendees who visit the booth and register.
Damn! I wish I could be there this weekend so much.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Additionally, during the show DTS will hold a daily special drawing for a Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD player for attendees who visit the booth and register.
With my luck it would be the A1 I'd win, and the BR one would be the Pioneer Elite!!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:47 PM

Does this mean that we'll finally see HD-DVD in DTS-MA.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:50 PM

I am completely confused by these HD audio formats. I have Sony's stand alone blu-ray player and it is connected by both digital (dolby & dts, which we are all familiar with) and 5.1 analog inputs. I can distinguish between those and I do like the 5.1 uncompressed sound on the supplied FIFTH ELEMENT blu-ray disc as well as the same on THE TERMINATOR and THE GREAT RAID.

But now the confusion is over everything else. I think the Pioneer electronics people are confused as I was told that my Pioneer VSX 47-TX receiver did not support Dolby Digital at 640 kbps. I think they may be confusing it with the new Dolby True HD, etc., as I have older standard def discs that do play DTS at 1500 kbps, and I would think that both Dolby at 640 as opposed to the older 480 limit would also be supported with my receiver. I do understand that everything else that's new (Dolby HD, true hd, whatever, as it's all beyond me what it's all about) is not supported.

Can we have an article (or series) that clearly states what is, what is not, etc about audio formats today and to come? And stated simply, as I think many of us get lost.

Do most a/v receivers today allow us to receive Dobly Digital at 640kbps, or are most of us limited to 480kbps ???? Do most DTS receivers decode at 1500Kbps ????

And can anyone explain why the bass/subwoofer gets a pretty good workout on 5.1 uncompressed surround on FIFTH ELEMENT, but that the bass/subwoofer channel seems more subdued on THE TERMINATOR and THE GREAT RAID 5.1 uncompressed than it does on the Dolby Digital 5.1 ???
Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I am completely confused by these HD audio formats. I have Sony's stand alone blu-ray player and it is connected by both digital (dolby & dts, which we are all familiar with) and 5.1 analog inputs. I can distinguish between those and I do like the 5.1 uncompressed sound on the supplied FIFTH ELEMENT blu-ray disc as well as the same on THE TERMINATOR and THE GREAT RAID.

But now the confusion is over everything else. I think the Pioneer electronics people are confused as I was told that my Pioneer VSX 47-TX receiver did not support Dolby Digital at 640 kbps. I think they may be confusing it with the new Dolby True HD, etc., as I have older standard def discs that do play DTS at 1500 kbps, and I would think that both Dolby at 640 as opposed to the older 480 limit would also be supported with my receiver. I do understand that everything else that's new (Dolby HD, true hd, whatever, as it's all beyond me what it's all about) is not supported.

Can we have an article (or series) that clearly states what is, what is not, etc about audio formats today and to come? And stated simply, as I think many of us get lost.

Do most a/v receivers today allow us to receive Dobly Digital at 640kbps, or are most of us limited to 480kbps ???? Do most DTS receivers decode at 1500Kbps ????

And can anyone explain why the bass/subwoofer gets a pretty good workout on 5.1 uncompressed surround on FIFTH ELEMENT, but that the bass/subwoofer channel seems more subdued on THE TERMINATOR and THE GREAT RAID 5.1 uncompressed than it does on the Dolby Digital 5.1 ???
Good questions.

All receivers that have a DTS logo on them will accept DTS at it's full bitrate of 1.509 Mbps as this was the first speed used. Because it was space hungry, DTS reduced the bit rate down to 756 Kbps.

Dolby Digital from Blu-ray should be compatible at 640 Kbps from your Sony Blu-ray player, but if you are having trouble using the optical then my suggestion is to use the multi-channel in for your Dolby DIgital, which is what you're currently using for the superior PCM tracks. Because Dolby Digital at 640 on HD DVD is Dolby Digital Plus, this may explain why Pioneer's tech support that you spoke with were unable to answer your questions.

Dolby Digital uses bass management whereas on the PCM it likely does not. To put this into perspective on my Multi Channel In I constantly have the subwoofer setting at +8dB (I have a Pioneer 1014TX) and on my Pioneer Elite DV45a I have the subwoofer at +6dB. These levels seemed to even out on all the soundtracks I've listened to the difference between the bass management in Dolby and DTS and the PCM/DSD tracks, as I've encountered with SACD and DVD-Audio.

You can listen to the DTS and Dolby tracks through your analog outs, so why not boost the subwoofer level adjustment on the multi in by 8-10dB and give it a whirl. As for The Fifth Element, I saw it in 1997 at the Uptown Cinema in Toronto with SDDS 8.1 and it was the best and deepest sounding cinema experience I've ever had.

Let us know if you want any more input.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks for your reply.

So if I boost the bass/subwoofer for the PCM 5.1, then it should give the same "boom" as I would get from listening to Dolby Digital via the optical/coax connection?

Now, on to the 640kbps from Dobly Digital via optical/coax. I do not have trouble with the optical/coax, but I have no way (other than my limited ears) of telling whether I am getting 640 or downcoverted to 480kbps (if such is possible) through my Pioneer VSX 47TX, as there does not seem to be any way of metering this via the receiver of the player. I get Dolby Digital 5.1 and 5.1EX (on discs so encoded) and DTS & DTS ES (on discs so encoded) through the optical/coax connections, and they sound fine. My older standard def dvd player would tell me if the DTS was 756kbps or 1509kbps, but the Sony blu-ray player gives no indication, nor does the receiver give me any readout as to what the bit rate is. Okay, no problem with DTS either way. But, what about Dolby Digital? How can I tell if I am getting 480 or 640kbps? And do you think this receiver decodes at the higher (640) bit rate for Dolby Digtal?

A lot of questions, I know. And still this-- You mention that I can listen to "DTS and Dolby tracks through ... analog outs." Does that mean that I should change the settings in my blu-ray player to get the DTS and Dobly Digital out through the 5.1 analog? Will the player or the receiver be doing the docoding? I'm confused. I thought that the only way to get the 5.1 DTS and Dolby Digital tracks was to go through either the optical or coax digital cable and that only blu-ray discs with 5.1 uncompressed pcm tracks were the ones that I could use to fully experience the advantage of the 5.1 analog inputs???

Help, as I'm lost in the dust.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Banned

Keep this in mind. It was the DVD standard that limited Dolby Digital to 448kbps, not the dolby decoder itself. On D-theater disc, Dolby Digital was encoded at 576kbps, and all Dolby decoders could read it.

If the Dolby Digital audio is encoded at 640kbps on disc, then it is likely the decoder will pass it in your receiver. The receiver will not decode Dolby Digital at 1.5mbps because that is part of Dolby's plus line of encoding/decoding.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

So if I boost the bass/subwoofer for the PCM 5.1, then it should give the same "boom" as I would get from listening to Dolby Digital via the optical/coax connection?
Absolutely.
Quote:
A lot of questions, I know. And still this-- You mention that I can listen to "DTS and Dolby tracks through ... analog outs." Does that mean that I should change the settings in my blu-ray player to get the DTS and Dobly Digital out through the 5.1 analog? Will the player or the receiver be doing the docoding? I'm confused. I thought that the only way to get the 5.1 DTS and Dolby Digital tracks was to go through either the optical or coax digital cable and that only blu-ray discs with 5.1 uncompressed pcm tracks were the ones that I could use to fully experience the advantage of the 5.1 analog inputs???
You can listen to anything through your analog outs. I wouldn't think you would need to change any settings in the player, just change your receiver to multi-channel in. For example, when I'm listening to a DTS track I can change from coaxial, which displays THX Cinema or DTS+Neo:6 or I can change to Multi Channel In (which displays the same) and get the signal outputted directly from the player.
You've got the last sentence the wrong way round, you can only fully experience the 5.1 pcm tracks using the analog outputs. Try it and you'll see. If you have a DTS movie playing and then switch your receiver to Multi Channel In you should still be getting a signal. If not then there's a setting on the player.
You may not the levels overall are a little lower when using 5.1 analog for DTS and DD. I normally have my receiver turned up about 10dB higher for Multi Channel In than I do for DD and DTS through optical/coaxial.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks. Yes, I have been listening to the 5.1 pcm tracks using the analog out (with the receiver set to "multi channel"), but I did not know that I could get the DTS & Dolby Digital just as easily from the analog out (with the receiver set to "multi channel"). I'll crank up the bass and the overall levels and give it a listen.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:00 PM

Will definitely have to grab one of these!