Is it war between HD-DVD we need or War with DVD we need? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

Default Is it war between HD-DVD we need or War with DVD we need?

We have had countless arguements about what format is better HD-DVD or Blue-Ray but honestly we are having battle with our formats when it needs to be taken towards DVD format. I am like one of the few people I know that either knows what HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is and even cares. Almost everytime I mention either format people I know think it's stupid and a waste of money. When I go to Wal-Mart I am appauled at the way they treat HD-DVD and Blu-Ray considering they have it so hidden that you have to be a damn hound dog to sniff it out. They usually have there HD TVs set up without the actually HD connections and it makes the tv channels look horrible or the same with movies! I so many times have heard people mention that the HD tv looks worse then there regular tv because stores aren't using them the right way. Do you realize that it's possible that HD-DVD and Blue-Ray might lose because of this misinformation? I have read about another format that could possible come out, has anyone heard this? What do you think should be done to help HD formats get more public notice? Honestly most of the population don't even know what they are. I do prefer HD-DVD but if it loses I have Blue-Ray but if both lose then were all scewed. What does it actually take to get people to choose the formats? Does anyone think HD-DVD and Blue-Ray could team up to help take out DVD? While we are fighting DVD is doing what it does best, sales!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:24 PM

exactly, players and discs need to be cheaper so people can switch over to HD DVD without complaining. until then, dvd's will outsell hd's by a big amount, i mean look at best buy and circuit city ads, they have standard dvds for 4.99
Old 08-12-2007, 02:32 PM

I not seen a war against DVD, becouse a war against the 'CRT' televisions doesn't exist. Anyway i think that some people had a old TV that works well but they payd a lot of money for a HDTV. Personally, meanwhile the electrodomestic works... so when the DVD-player is wasted the most obvious is purchase an HD-DVD not re-build another one.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

You know I did say it was pathetic relying on a video game console to help the HD movies but I retract that statement because honestly if it weren't for the Xbox 360 and the PS3 then HD-DVD and Blu-Ray wouldn't be inwhere hardly. You know I think the biggest problem with HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray are the movie prices. Damn some movies are 40 bucks. I see the same movie on DVD for like 18 dollars and I won't buy it because I care about the picture quality but honestly most people can't see the difference(I don't know how) but they don't. Prices for the players have came down but they need to make the movies at least the same less then DVD movies to catch on. People then would say ''Why would I buy a regular DVD when I could get the HD version for the same prices almost and have it in a better quality format''. People don't want to pay 10 and 15 more dollars.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Well, I'd say when HDead DVD is phased out by 2009, Blu-ray will take the forefront to the casual consumer whom by then will have at least on HDTV in their home. By 2010 Blu-ray's HD movies will be a major factor, and a well known name just like VHS, and DVD. I don't see it becoming the standard until 2011-2012.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:16 PM

2009 the best selled Blu-Ray player (PS3) will be discontinued...
Old 08-12-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
You know I did say it was pathetic relying on a video game console to help the HD movies but I retract that statement because honestly if it weren't for the Xbox 360 and the PS3 then HD-DVD and Blu-Ray wouldn't be inwhere hardly. You know I think the biggest problem with HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray are the movie prices. Damn some movies are 40 bucks. I see the same movie on DVD for like 18 dollars and I won't buy it because I care about the picture quality but honestly most people can't see the difference(I don't know how) but they don't. Prices for the players have came down but they need to make the movies at least the same less then DVD movies to catch on. People then would say ''Why would I buy a regular DVD when I could get the HD version for the same prices almost and have it in a better quality format''. People don't want to pay 10 and 15 more dollars.
WAUW!!, and interesing view about the combo-disks, agreed.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCali View Post
Well, I'd say when HDead DVD is phased out by 2009, Blu-ray will take the forefront to the casual consumer whom by then will have at least on HDTV in their home. By 2010 Blu-ray's HD movies will be a major factor, and a well known name just like VHS, and DVD. I don't see it becoming the standard until 2011-2012.

Yea hopefully soon (PSTurd) will be dead soon and Bluee-Ray won't have a good player, still all jokes aside, why do you have to come in a serious debate and put down HD-DVD with HDead? I wasn't even saying anything about Blu-Ray but obviously you fans can't stop from saying something bad about HD-DVD. HD-DVD will be here for a while pal, please realize this!

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 08-12-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Banned

Eventually, the companies will start pushing Blu-Ray and HD-DVD more and that time is coming soon.

It's really simple business really. At this point in time, DVD is probably starting to hit a downward trend, which has actually been noted. Everyone who was in the movie buying market now has a DVD player and has probably bought all of the catalogue titles that they wish to have.

So, the only new business left for DVD is new releases and new players for people who have a broken down DVD player.

The growth period for DVD is over. Every company HATES watching the growth period end and guess what....High Definition films are the newest product and represent a huge potential for growth.

So, soon enough the companies will realize the massive profits to be made and high definition films will start getting pushed while DVD support will become weaker.

It's just business people.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouMakeMeLeery View Post
Eventually, the companies will start pushing Blu-Ray and HD-DVD more and that time is coming soon.

It's really simple business really. At this point in time, DVD is probably starting to hit a downward trend, which has actually been noted. Everyone who was in the movie buying market now has a DVD player and has probably bought all of the catalogue titles that they wish to have.

So, the only new business left for DVD is new releases and new players for people who have a broken down DVD player.

The growth period for DVD is over. Every company HATES watching the growth period end and guess what....High Definition films are the newest product and represent a huge potential for growth.

So, soon enough the companies will realize the massive profits to be made and high definition films will start getting pushed while DVD support will become weaker.

It's just business people.
Excellent post. That is what I was looking for.