"The War": PHASE 1 Over IMO - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-11-2007, 02:25 PM

Default "The War": PHASE 1 Over IMO

ok I've been reading a lot of threads and even more articles from numerous sources and today is the day to state the beyond obvious. I'm ready to offer this startling concession because I really want Criterion to start releasing titles. This is critical for the hardcore cinemaphiles out there. Anyway, you may remember Criterion has stated they would wait for a winner to emerge from the "war" before deciding which HD format to release titles on. Another way to look at it IMO, is that they want to be sure they do not pick a losing format. Many other so-called "fence-sitters" have stated the same. Well that time is now because Phase 1 of the war is OVER imo--Blu-Ray will DEFINITELY NOT LOSE. So Criterion can go ahead and start releasing movies on Blu-Ray. Read carefully what I have said, even though it is beyond obvious at this point. I am NOT saying Blu-Ray has won (winning in my definition of the war involves the day when studios stop releasing ALL titles on one of the 2 formats) Thus, thw "war" is now in PHASE 2. this is the "new" war which will continue to fuel debate on here--the war against HD-DVDs very survival. This IMO is now the only war. So to sum up: Blu-Ray will NOT lose; Blu-Ray may also win outright at some point. HD-DVD CANNOT win outright barring armageddon circumstances i.e. Sony goes bankrupt etc, etc.). HD-DVD might also NOT LOSE and be around forever, Stay tuned. Phase 2 has begun.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:43 PM

So what about Universal, Arkadin?
Old 08-11-2007, 02:47 PM

well what do you mean? Like I said HD-DVD hasn't lost. Universal will go neutral at some point for sure. Really don't know when. I mean it doesn't really matter anymore IMO. Nobody who has followed this thing the whole time can possibly think that Blu-Ray will COMPLETELY lose at this point. It's just not possible imo.
Universal's leaked q4 schedule says it all for me. pathetic is being too nice. sorry.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Phase 1: Win format war
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
well what do you mean? Like I said HD-DVD hasn't lost. Universal will go neutral at some point for sure. Really don't know when. I mean it doesn't really matter anymore IMO. Nobody who has followed this thing the whole time can possibly think that Blu-Ray will COMPLETELY lose at this point. It's just not possible imo.
Universal's leaked q4 schedule says it all for me. pathetic is being too nice. sorry.
IF Universal doesnt go neutral.
If the PS3 doesnt sell good, Blu ray could lose.
IF MS did a 360 add on bundle with the Xbox 360 that would help sells.
If the HD DVD company got Fox or others to go neutral, HD DVD could win
Cheaper players could help HD DVD win.
Anything could happen dude.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:08 PM

well it's just my opinion. but no I do not think there is any conceivable way HD-DVD could completely win. I'm actually quite surprised you still feel this way. All the things you mentioned will hopefully keep HD-DVD around forever. I sure hope so. but overall win. no chance anymore.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I think it matters a great deal if/when Universal goes nuetral. In fact if they don't go nuetral next year then that pretty guarantees dual format in my opinion. WB will be putting everything out in THD and the consumers will see the dual format handwriting on the wall by next fall as well. It will get to a point where both will simply be have to be accepted as mainstream formats. It's tough for one format to win when the other side has hundreds of exclusives with little hope of getting them soon (if ever)
Old 08-11-2007, 03:11 PM

well when I said it doesn't matter, I was strictly speaking of Blu-Ray not losing. What you are talking about pertains to phase 2 IMO. That's my point in this thread. We are at phase 2. This is now "the war"
dual format is still VERY much a possibility.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

What's it like on Planet HD-DVD? How's the weather? Oh wait, there is no Planet HD-DVD, there's only planet earth and reality. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
IF Universal doesnt go neutral.
Given the numbers, it's only a matter of time.

Quote:
If the PS3 doesnt sell good, Blu ray could lose.
You see there's a two pronged attack going on, PS3 AND Stand alone players.

Quote:
IF MS did a 360 add on bundle with the Xbox 360 that would help sells.
considering they were making a bit of money on each sold BEFORE they dropped the price, why would they slap a bundle together that would GUARANTEE them losing money?

Oh wait, it's Microsoft we're talking about isn't it?

Quote:
If the HD DVD company got Fox or others to go neutral, HD DVD could win
Considering that Fox really loves it when people rip their movies and sell them illegally, I totally see that happening. /sarcasm.

Quote:
Cheaper players could help HD DVD win.
Because it's thrown them into the lead thus far?

Quote:
Anything could happen dude.
"could" and "likely not" are two separate things.

Logan
Old 08-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think it is a matter of opinion but I think alot of these movies from Uni will sell well and to call it pathetic is really just the bd fanboy inside of you talking. I have seen a few people getting excited over Hairspray and for the life of me I can't see it but just because they like it and I don't doesn't mean it is pathetic. Will I buy every movie that is put out on HD DVD or like them all, absolutley not but the ones I don't like I am sure someone else will. They can't all be blockbusters. As far as phase 1 of this war being over I don't agree this baby has still just been born and just got the slap in the ass that it needs to start growing.