Will Warner's success put pressure on studios to support both HD DVD and Blu-ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-07-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Will Warner's success put pressure on studios to support both HD DVD and Blu-ray?

Warner announced today that their film "300" has broken Blu-ray and HD DVD sales records in its' first week of release.

Warner is attributing their successes at least partly due to their dual high definition format support.

Quote:
Overall WHV has six of the top 10 selling high definition titles with “300,” “The Departed,” “Superman Returns,” “Planet Earth - The Complete Collection,” “Batman Begins,” and “Happy Feet.” Warner also has the highest grossing high definition title with the dual-format release of “Planet Earth.”

As a result of its dual format strategy, WHV has more than 30% market share of DVD sales in the high definition market, selling more high definition product and releasing more titles than any other studio.
With Warner blatantly stating that their success is due to supporting both formats, will this cause other studios to reconsider a single high definition format stance? I am sure others in the industry are taking notice...
Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 PM

if both formats keep selling players , then yes
Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 PM

Rather to say that PS3 continues launching games that they invite to see HD films…
Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM

we need to see the ratios between the BD and HD DVD sales to form a proper opinion on this...
Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyTech.com View Post
Warner announced today that their film "300" has broken Blu-ray and HD DVD sales records in its' first week of release.

Warner is attributing their successes at least partly due to their dual high definition format support.

With Warner blatantly stating that their success is due to supporting both formats, will this cause other studios to reconsider a single high definition format stance? I am sure others in the industry are taking notice...
I was pondering that same question. To me it sounds like Warner wants the war to end with peace rather than a clear victor. That actually surprises me, as I would expect them to prefer manufacturing on a single format so that they could lower production costs.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:24 PM

Talking

I dont thinK Warner wants the war to end. They have 30% of all Hi-Def market share. Their making alot of money being neutral, because other studios is limiting their titles to just one format. And, thats the bottomline (which the only thing that matters) Cha-Ching!!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:26 PM

Good post, and good question. Unfortunately, I do not think it is that simple. Fox, and Disney are adamant supporters of Blu-Ray and BD+ and region coding, two things which HD DVD does not account for. In addition, Fox and Disney clearly picked Blu-Ray and have to be pretty happy with their choice as Blu-Ray is now accounting for nearly 70% of the HD marketshare with a huge 4th quarter coming up which may increase that lead closer to 75-80%.

I will say this though (assuming Fox starts releasing again for Q4), if sales of major releases like The Simpsons, Live Free and Die Hard, POTC3, etc are not close to 100-150K each, I think these studios may rethink their current stance if HD DVD sells well and player sales pickup.

Lionsgate would have the best chance of going neutral, IMHO out of all the Blu-Ray exclusive studios. Forget Sony. The only way they will release movies on HD DVD is if Blu-Ray completely died.

Universal has the best chance of going neutral IMHO. I think Q4 will be make or break for HD DVD and Universal (as far as neutrality goes). If Sony, Fox, and Disney have simiar success as Warner with their huge Q4 releases, then Universal will most likely have no choice in the matter unless they can keep things close.

And at some point, the studios and consumers may not decide this format war. Retailers might. And if they feel that one format is clearly dominating the other they may simply promote the leading format.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDragyn View Post
I was pondering that same question. To me it sounds like Warner wants the war to end with peace rather than a clear victor. That actually surprises me, as I would expect them to prefer manufacturing on a single format so that they could lower production costs.
I don't understand this idea BD fans keep using of "lowering production costs."

1) They are already pressing both formats, so if there was any setup cost, it is already spent. It wouldn't cost them any more to keep pressing both formats.

2) Don't they use identical encodes on both formats? Once they've encoded the picture in VC-1, they don't re-encode it, so no cost for 2 encodes. They obviously compress the PCM track to TrueHD for the HD-DVD version, but they include it on the Blu-ray as well.

3) The cost of the discs themselves are very close together. They aren't going to save any money pressing 250,000 Blu-ray discs as opposed to 175,000 Blu-ray and 75,000 HD-DVDs.

Where is the extra cost by pressing both formats? More than likely, it would cost the currently exclusive studios money to set up the other format, but how so for WB?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 PM

You're right, you don't understand.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned

We don't want to be stuck with low bitrate encodes just because HDDVD does not have enough space and bandwidth.