Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    HD-DVD_4_Me's Avatar
    HD-DVD_4_Me is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    724

    Default Back after several years (thoughts on current status of BD and 3D)

    I posted this in the Smackdown forum, but this isn't really intended to be a dig at anything, just my thoughts on the current status of BD and 3D

    So I was one of the die hard HD-DVD supporters and have been anti-Sony for many years, so when HD-DVD died I said I would never buy a BD player... Well that day finally came where I caved in, that was a month ago from today. In a month I purchased 54 BD discs (8 of which are 3D). Today I also purchased my 3D TV (Samsung UN60H7150) which I can't wait to get home and play with!

    Although I'm happy to finally be able to enjoy HD physical media once again, I expected things to be better than they currently are... It feels like once HD-DVD lost BD just stopped caring as much about quality and features. I remember lots of the HD-DVDs having neat special features that took advantage of the new technology, and I also remember BD doing the same since it was needed to compete. Out of the 54 BDs that I have I notice there are hardly ever any cool special features being used. I also think it's pitiful that there is so much room on the BD discs, yet I have to keep some of my DVDs because they didn't port over all of the special features (this is more a fault of the studios than BD format).

    I also wanted to touch on 3D technology... I see a lot of posts here from people that think that 3D is just a fad and will go away. Also people think that because sales aren't soaring that nobody wants 3D. I personally have always loved 3D and have anticipated it finally coming to the home market. 4 years ago I was TV shopping and 3D TVs were out, but there wasn't any/much content at that time, so I decided to wait until later. Many of us here are not your usual consumer and will adopt new technologies no matter the cons or price. I personally feel that 3D will take off, but the public just can't afford it yet at the current prices (especially at $35 per movie). It's the same reason I skipped buying a UHD TV today... new technology that still has kinks, too expensive, and not enough content. So I think 3D will eventually take off, but the public just needs time to adopt it. If you think about it, most people have probably upgraded their TVs in the last 10 years from SD to HD… Those same people aren’t going to go right out and buy a new 3D TV or UHD TV just because the technology is available.

  2. #2
    malakai's Avatar
    malakai is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    It's too bad the studios don't feel the same way, regarding 3D technology. Disney is the one that takes the biggest pounding from HDD visitors, but Universal is doing it, as well as other studios, too. It's a real shame that Hollywood films, whether conversions or real, stereoscopic 3D, are getting released all over Europe and Asia but not here. China is very likely to become the kings of 3D film soon, IMO. They're still installing RealD theaters all over the country, when we have theaters that are taking 3D screens down.

    The costs, to implement 3D technology in a TV, are minimal, at least with active 3D. For a 3D enthusiast, it doesn't make sense for them not to implement the technology into every TV.

    As far as the costs of 3D films averaging $35, I think if you pre-order them regularly from amazon, you'll usually get them cheaper, with their pre-order price guarantee. I probably pay an average of between $24 and $27 that way. Basically, any time the price drops before your pre-order ships, you get the lowest price when it does ship. Welcome to the 3D world though. It can be addicting.

  3. #3
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    11,378

    Default

    Perhaps you're not buying the right movies. I think in general your thoughts about catalog titles are very true. New releases on the other hand are generally quite full of extras. It's probably about money and how much effort is needed to get there.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  4. #4
    Boston007's Avatar
    Boston007 is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,335

    Default

    3D is very overrated.
    There is a reason it's not catching on here in the states, IMO.
    Obviously this is my personal opinion

  5. #5
    chipvideo's Avatar
    chipvideo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,793

    Default

    I think the reason why 3D isn't catching on is because too many people are spending too much time streaming Netflix on their iPhones.

  6. #6
    Boston007's Avatar
    Boston007 is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
    I think the reason why 3D isn't catching on is because too many people are spending too much time streaming Netflix on their iPhones.
    Great point, and ironically I just read somewhere people PREFER to watch video on the their phones and computers.

  7. #7
    AV_Integrated's Avatar
    AV_Integrated is offline Forum Member Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC - USA
    Posts
    7,153

    Default

    I'm not really happy or upset about where BD is at this point. The eventuality of downloads was already out there when the format war began. No doubt at all that digital downloads would start taking off, but here we are years later and HD streaming looks very good. While BD still looks great, they are hitting up against the inevitable competition of digital downloads. I'm not making excuses for BD, but I accept the reality as it has been foretold, and how it is right now years later.

    I'm interested in what UHD may bring to the market, but the announcement of a Panasonic UHD BD player at CES went almost completely unnoticed. It seems like people are more than willing to give up their physical content. Oh well.


    As for 3D? I'm a fan. But only for select titles. The pricing is absolutely ridiculous and the complete lack of rentals in the traditional market is pretty serious. But, a good movie in 3D is a plus to have in the collection and looks amazing on the front projection setup. Easily rivaling movie theater quality. I expect it to be around for years, if only as the niche market it remains. I'm okay with that as long as I can still get it.
    AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology consultation during the build and installation process in the Washington DC, Northern VA, and MD area.

  8. #8
    bruceames's Avatar
    bruceames is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    7,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Great point, and ironically I just read somewhere people PREFER to watch video on the their phones and computers.
    I wonder if that applies to movies as well. "Video" is a catch-all category that would include Youtube unboxing videos, porn, or stuff that is (for the most part) only accessible on devices like iPhones or computers anyway. So it's rather deceptive to include all video categories in that light.

    Also movies are often watched with other people. It would be awkward to watch Gravity on a computer with your significant other.

  9. #9
    bruceames's Avatar
    bruceames is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    7,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
    I'm not really happy or upset about where BD is at this point. The eventuality of downloads was already out there when the format war began. No doubt at all that digital downloads would start taking off, but here we are years later and HD streaming looks very good. While BD still looks great, they are hitting up against the inevitable competition of digital downloads. I'm not making excuses for BD, but I accept the reality as it has been foretold, and how it is right now years later.

    I'm interested in what UHD may bring to the market, but the announcement of a Panasonic UHD BD player at CES went almost completely unnoticed. It seems like people are more than willing to give up their physical content. Oh well.


    As for 3D? I'm a fan. But only for select titles. The pricing is absolutely ridiculous and the complete lack of rentals in the traditional market is pretty serious. But, a good movie in 3D is a plus to have in the collection and looks amazing on the front projection setup. Easily rivaling movie theater quality. I expect it to be around for years, if only as the niche market it remains. I'm okay with that as long as I can still get it.
    I am surprised how good they have gotten streaming to look. Not as good as Blu-ray of course, but if you don't compare the two side by side then 99% of the time you won't be wanting of a better version than 1080p streaming (not to mention 4k streaming, which is even better).

    I disagree on 3D pricing and think that it is very reasonable and with sales I think it's an absolute bargain.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    I am surprised how good they have gotten streaming to look. Not as good as Blu-ray of course, but if you don't compare the two side by side then 99% of the time you won't be wanting of a better version than 1080p streaming (not to mention 4k streaming, which is even better).

    I disagree on 3D pricing and think that it is very reasonable and with sales I think it's an absolute bargain.
    House of Cards on Netflix does look great. Probably one of the best I have seen as far as visual quality goes.
    SONY 55HX800 3D HDTV
    PSN: The-Termin8tor- (make sure you add the dashes)
    XBL: THE TERMIN8TOR

    http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/De...THE TERMIN8T0R

  11. #11
    The BJD's Avatar
    The BJD is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackHunt View Post
    That's too bad you waited so long, because Blu-ray and this website is pretty much dead.
    My first visit since 2010.

  12. #12
    miDnIghtEr is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27,915

    Default

    The gaming smackdown is still alive to this day! Buckle up and jump in!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1