Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is 3D dead yet?

moepain4u is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    These companies need to make up their minds, are glasses free 3D tvs coming or what? We have heard about them for 3 years now. I was gonna buy a 4K tv in the next 2 years but if the glasses free 3D tvs are really coming out I'll wait.
    None of them would give me a price so I think it will be a few years before they are affordable for the average consumer.

malakai is offline Member

8k isn't a good option to have on the table now, or for many years. With each and every new generation of TVs, with higher resolution, it automatically makes previous generations of low res content look bad. VHS, Laserdiscs, analog CATV, and digital SD TV broadcasts all look pretty bad on 1080p TVs. We know 4k is part of the near future, with the UHD Blu-ray format coming out late this year, 4k streaming services now starting to be offered, and satellite/catv providers talking about (or preparing for) 4k channels.

35mm film is usually scanned at 2k or 4k, because even though film doesn't have a resolution, that's what they compare it to. 16mm is scanned at 1k. Some of the newer movies have been shot on 2k digital. Some films are still being shot on 35mm. TV shows and movies that were recorded on tape are also limited to about 480i or 576i resolution.

Console gaming is not capable of full 1080p resolution on high-graphical games yet, much less 4k. PC gaming can be done at 4k, but we're still probably four or six years away from being able to have affordable GPUs and CPUs that can handle 4k gaming at max settings. There are youtube videos, where people claim to have spent $12k, $15k, even $20k, setting up four titans, four radeon 290xs, or two radeon 295x2s, pushing the largest PSUs (in terms of wattage) and most expensive overclocked i7 processors to their limits. With these expensive energy-sucking heaters they've created, they still can't achieve 4k resolution with max settings on many current games.

8k is only viable for 65/70mm (Lawrence of Arabia, Gone with the Wind, IMAX, etc) film and new films, which were recorded on 70mm or 8k digital. Basically, they would have to create a whole new library of films, just for the format. Are studios ready to start with an almost blank slate? PC and console gaming is nowhere near ready for 8k. So, those things can't be counted on, to support it. 4k, IMO, probably is a good stopping point.

Yes I agree we are a long way away from 8k being standard. Here are videos showing it.

http://youtu.be/P3iLOQNOC2Y

http://youtu.be/oj94IccwnLw

The 4K 3D glassesless looked great too so I will be happy with that when available.

My favorite 4K tech is the S UHD OLED tv by Samsung. I took this video

http://youtu.be/43kejgP3Ti0

vinnie97 is offline Member

That is NOT an OLED TV. Only LG is forging ahead with OLED. Samdung is forgoing it altogether in 2015 and the foreseeable feature.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234