Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: Is 3D dead yet?

  1. #31
    genesim is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Glasses free 3D is never going to be viable. You don't want images converging unnaturally. Even the the 3D DS didn't take off like it should.

    There is nothing "niche" about 3D, it just isn't good enough yet. True 3D will be hologram, but I don't want to be around for that. It scares me.

  2. #32
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    the glasses part is the stumbling block.
    I thought it would be also but to me it's not
    55" LG LM6400 3D Smart TV
    3D player PS3/PS4/Xbox One
    Gamertag/PSN ID : Minute Man 721/Minute_Man_721
    Xbox 360 currently playing............
    Xbox One currently playing Quantum Break
    PS3 currently playing.........
    PS4 currently playing AC4 Black Flag



    "Those that make up their mind before listening to the argument is a f#*king fool" - Chris Rock

    Restore the Republic 1789 - 1913

  3. #33
    malakai's Avatar
    malakai is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    Glasses free doesn't mean much to me. I believe viable passive 3D is a more important implementation. Sure, there are a few passive 3D TV sets out there, but I would personally like to see more. The biggest reason to go with passive over active is because of the cost of glasses, once you go over a normal number of TV watchers. If you have a 3D movie party or gathering, there has to be enough glasses for everyone. Passive 3D glasses cost a couple bucks a piece, unless you get the really high quality ones. Active, well, it's quite a bit more. The cost of integration into passive 3D televisions is probably a lot more than active, but the initial investment, IMO, would be worth it in the long run.

    There still are no good options for passive projection. Running demultiplexers, a special high-gain silver screen, polarizing filters, two projectors, and all of the hoopla you have to jump over right now is a bit extreme.

    No matter what, the market mostly controls what options people have available to them.

  4. #34
    cetrax is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I have two passive 3d sets and love watching 3d at home. I get a much better 3d experience from my home tv's than watching it in the movie theater. Personally 1 think 4k is overkill unless you buy a really big screen tv, but on a 40 or 55inch come on?

  5. #35
    damonous's Avatar
    damonous is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malakai View Post
    Glasses free doesn't mean much to me. I believe viable passive 3D is a more important implementation. Sure, there are a few passive 3D TV sets out there, but I would personally like to see more. The biggest reason to go with passive over active is because of the cost of glasses, once you go over a normal number of TV watchers. If you have a 3D movie party or gathering, there has to be enough glasses for everyone. Passive 3D glasses cost a couple bucks a piece, unless you get the really high quality ones. Active, well, it's quite a bit more. The cost of integration into passive 3D televisions is probably a lot more than active, but the initial investment, IMO, would be worth it in the long run.

    There still are no good options for passive projection. Running demultiplexers, a special high-gain silver screen, polarizing filters, two projectors, and all of the hoopla you have to jump over right now is a bit extreme.

    No matter what, the market mostly controls what options people have available to them.
    I have a friend who says that she gets headaches when watching 3D in the theater, but not on my active 3D display or projector. So, passive 3D may not be the holy grail. And, although I do believe that mass adoption will occur when large-size autostereoscopic displays are released, there will be a portion of people who's brains are not 'wired' for it. Passive & glasses-free tech require your brain to be actively 'figuring out' what you are being 'tricked' into seeing. Active tech is only letting you see 1 image (very quickly) at a time, and letting your brain fill in the gaps.
    A great day to be BLU...
    Sharp LC-60LE925UN 60" 3D 1080p LCD
    BenQ W1070 projector w/120" Elitech grey screen
    Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR
    Sony PS3/PS4 / Oppo BDP-93
    JVC HM-DH4000 D-VHS
    LG GGW-H20L PC drive (BDR/HD-DVD drive)

  6. #36
    genesim is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    330

    Default

    You know what I think would be cooler...a reliable QC of 3D contact lenses!

  7. #37
    moepain4u's Avatar
    moepain4u is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sin City, Nevada
    Posts
    3,360

    Default 3D glassesless tv is here!

    I attended CES 2015 and omg 3D glassesless 4k and 8k was amazing! 3D without glasses is here (of course no pricing mentioned) it was the only 3D being shown (at least in main hall). I also watched a game being played in 3D 4k without glasses.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #38
    moepain4u's Avatar
    moepain4u is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sin City, Nevada
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    I only see 8k working in homes if you have a huge theater room and sitting at least 25 feet back.

  9. #39
    Plissken99's Avatar
    Plissken99 is online now Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,302

    Default

    25ft back?... It's a higher resolution so you can actually sit closer. I am looking forward to seeing some glasses free 3D.

    Since I recently switched to the Sony VPL-55 3D projector, I've become a much much bigger fan of 3D! I didn't even realize how poorly the JVC rendered it until now. I sold the JVC and had the Sony up and running the same day. I used Pacific Rim as the demo disc to sell it, when I watched it on the Sony immediately after, I was astounded at the amount of detail in that opening fight which I had never seen!

    LONG LIVE 3D!
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

  10. #40
    genesim is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    LONG LIVE 3D!
    What is wrong with you!! You are proclaiming something as alive when obviously the OP wants it dead! He hates 3D! He loses his mind when he sees something as 3D dimensional...obviously his world is like the Take on Me music video.

  11. #41
    bruceames's Avatar
    bruceames is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novato, CA
    Posts
    7,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moepain4u View Post
    I attended CES 2015 and omg 3D glassesless 4k and 8k was amazing! 3D without glasses is here (of course no pricing mentioned) it was the only 3D being shown (at least in main hall). I also watched a game being played in 3D 4k without glasses.
    Hopefully it's as good as you say. It would be great not to wear glasses and would give 3D a big boost because the glasses thing is why it can't take hold in the marketplace.

    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    25ft back?... It's a higher resolution so you can actually sit closer.
    There is limitation in how close you can sit while still taking the whole screen in your field of vision. In order to appreciate 8K resolution over 4K, you actually have to sit closer than that So for watching movies, 8K resolution is overkill. It would be great though for viewing stills where you could get closer to examine a portion of the image.

  12. #42
    Vidfreek is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malakai View Post
    Glasses free doesn't mean much to me. I believe viable passive 3D is a more important implementation. Sure, there are a few passive 3D TV sets out there, but I would personally like to see more. The biggest reason to go with passive over active is because of the cost of glasses, once you go over a normal number of TV watchers. If you have a 3D movie party or gathering, there has to be enough glasses for everyone. Passive 3D glasses cost a couple bucks a piece, unless you get the really high quality ones. Active, well, it's quite a bit more. The cost of integration into passive 3D televisions is probably a lot more than active, but the initial investment, IMO, would be worth it in the long run.

    There still are no good options for passive projection. Running demultiplexers, a special high-gain silver screen, polarizing filters, two projectors, and all of the hoopla you have to jump over right now is a bit extreme.

    No matter what, the market mostly controls what options people have available to them.
    Its not near as bad as you think it is, I have a Samsung 3D Plasma thats an active display, my glasses were $16 a piece, got a ton of batteries for them super cheap too, its not that expensive at all and they work really nice, havent had any friends or family annoyed or getting headaches or anything from it

    the Samsung 8K 3D Glassless TV was some special demo TV I read, I dont think thats anywhere close to mainstream yet, especially with 4K barely taking off yet.

    I for one am perfectly fine with what I have, my 3D works nice as it is, its getting to be a chore and a major expense to keep doing these major upgrades so often anymore, tech is changing too damn fast. I already have 500+ Blurays in my collection easy and I dont feel like buying into 4K and all new movies already, especially when the current options look and sound great for the home.

  13. #43
    Yoda's Avatar
    Yoda is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    These companies need to make up their minds, are glasses free 3D tvs coming or what? We have heard about them for 3 years now. I was gonna buy a 4K tv in the next 2 years but if the glasses free 3D tvs are really coming out I'll wait.
    55" LG LM6400 3D Smart TV
    3D player PS3/PS4/Xbox One
    Gamertag/PSN ID : Minute Man 721/Minute_Man_721
    Xbox 360 currently playing............
    Xbox One currently playing Quantum Break
    PS3 currently playing.........
    PS4 currently playing AC4 Black Flag



    "Those that make up their mind before listening to the argument is a f#*king fool" - Chris Rock

    Restore the Republic 1789 - 1913

  14. #44
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    11,366

    Default

    I am all for a great passive tv and there hasn't been much movement on these. You wear passive lenses in the cinema, it only makes sense.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  15. #45
    moepain4u's Avatar
    moepain4u is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sin City, Nevada
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Yes glassesless 3D tv was very good much better than what I saw the previous two years.

    http://techgenmag.com/2015/01/10/ces...ssless-3d-tvs/


    I was a little pissed when I first saw the 8k tv because I just bought a 4k 3D TV in Dec. I remember in 2007 or 2008 seeing 4k as a demo (posted about it in CES section) and thought 1080p just came out! I figure another 10 years 8k will start making it into consumers homes. There were 4k 3d glassesless tv's on display and the one from
    Qualcomm was the best to me and my friend who could not watch 3d with glasses but was able to watch the glassesless 3d tv.

    http://www.zdnet.com/article/seecubi...-really-works/

    My wife has been complaining because I've been locked in my man cave for a month watching 3D movies and Netflix 4K (Marco Polo). Good thing I've been married 26 years other wise I would be in trouble! lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1