IF HD DVD and Blu-ray had equal studio support which format would prevail - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: which one do you think would win the format war had the studio support was equal ?
HD DVD 39 54.93%
BLU RAY 27 38.03%
50% HD DVD and 50% BLU RAY 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2007, 02:25 PM

Default IF HD DVD and Blu-ray had equal studio support which format would prevail

i think that if hd dvd was to make Disney and Fox to go neutral hd dvd would win the format war due to lower price and better brand recognition.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM

While I agree with you, I don't think this thread has any substance.

I mean, if I posted, "I think that if Blu-Ray had never been invented, HD-DVD would win the war!" would be the same thing. What if's are pretty pointless.

Personally, if studio support was equal, I believe that HD DVD would most likely win the format war.

Of course I could start a fantasy thread asking "If Blu-Ray had $30 players which format would prevail?"
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc20000 View Post
i think that if hd dvd had disney and fox on it side hd dvd would win the format war.
You could think that, but you'd be wrong.

It's not the studios only support that is helping Blu-Ray. I mean you HD-DVD guys keep pointing out 'where is Fox?' and Disney's lack of support.

It's the PS3 effect that's helping Blu-Ray the most, and that advantage is increasing further by the day.

Logan
Old 07-31-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
i think that if hd dvd had disney and fox on it side hd dvd would win the format war.
I think this game could be played on every side. It's unfair to ask the question. because the same could be said of blu-ray. We can play the what if game and ask, if blu-ray players since inception were the same price as Toshiba and given no other thing has changed (i.e. blu-ray still has more studio support) then blu-ray would win.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

bluray, because of the ps3
Old 07-31-2007, 02:38 PM

i just think that just like many blu-ray bois point out that hd dvd only advantage is price, i say that blu-ray only advantage is better studio support. i think that if the war won't end soon blu-ray might loose this advantage because studios supporting blu-ray might get fed up with it.
i am sure that Sony promissed them quick and decisive war with introduction of ps3. although ps3 had a substential effect on the war i think that this is not remotely close to what Sony had in mind.

so if blu-ray does not brake hd dvd by the end of this year end i think that we might reasonably expect many substential things to happen eairly next year.

somehow i do not see deep pockets of Sony to keep blu-ray exlusive studios from going neutral.

before any blu-ray bois jumps on me i do not think that universal would go blu because as of now univeral is synonymous with hd dvd as Sony is with blu-ray. i just think that the studios which are in the middle "FOX DISNEY LION GATE AND Weinstein might change their position on the war"
Old 07-31-2007, 02:39 PM

About 50% - 50%, but Blu-ray would've still had a PS3 effect lead now.

Basically, if both of them had the same studio support they would both have taken different approaches. Blu-ray would've worked more to make players cheaper and push its extra capacity advantage, while HD DVD would've had less reason to sell players so cheaply to make up for their lack of studio support.

However this is just hypothetical. Things are the way cards were dealt.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
i just think that just like many blu-ray bois point out that hd dvd only advantage is price, i say that blu-ray only advantage is better studio support. i think that if the war won't end soon blu-ray might loose this advantage because studios supporting blu-ray might get fed up with it.
This is a good point, except the difference is Toshiba has no control on what studios will do, whereas Sony has full control of its player prices and they can drop them whenever they need to counter HD DVD's moves.

Studios are a more powerful, and less costly advantage to have. Price costs a lot to reduce.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:03 PM

In this scenario, yes, I think HD DVD would be substantially ahead of Blu-ray, simply because of price. While the PS3 is a big boost for the format, who would really pay that much when they could get a true standalone HD DVD player (which would play all the same content, of course) for as low as half the cost?