Looking for thoughts on "300" Blu-vs. HD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Looking for thoughts on "300" Blu-vs. HD

First things first, I'm no stranger to these forums and I understand that I'm posting this in the smackdown area but as it pertains to both formats I'd figured I'd start here.

My question, which version to get? I own a 61" 1080p Samsung DLP, a PS3 for Blu-ray, and a Toshiba HD-A1 (1080i only) for HD-DVD playback. All connected by HDMI and Toslink cable.

I've never done a side by side comparison of 1080i vs 1080p images between the players but I'm having a few people over to watch the movie (and hopefully sell them on high-def).

I like the option to watch the HD-DVD version on a regular player if I'm travelling but I want to get the most out the movie. Without hopefully starting a full on flame war. Does anyone think I'll see a "NOTICABLE" difference from 1080i to 1080p?

Thanks upfront for any unbiased responses.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 PM

this is in the realm of opinion if you're just talking about 1080i vs 1080p.

and in -my- opinion, i believe i can tell ever so slightly a difference between my 50" panasonic 1080i and my 1080p projector projected onto ~70".

a huge mind-blowing difference? no. but i definitely appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 PM

I have a 40" 1080i samsung lcd so I have no first hand knowledge of this, but from what I have read at 60" you will be able to notice a difference between 1080i and 1080p.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 PM

The difference is really not noticeable on my 71" DLP.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 PM

Thanks winstonshu for the quick response. This is a very opinion oriented question. Assuch I will take everyones opinion into account.

Ironically, this is the first time I've been in a quandry as to which to buy as most of the movies I've picked up have either been on one or the other format...go figure
Old 07-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned

depends on your TV's deinterlacer really, if it's just as good as the one in XA2 (ie same chip) then they are identical. If your TV is one of the ones that fails the deinterlace test, then you might see differences, especially in high motion scenes.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 PM

I believe that sitting back at distance you will not see much difference, but if you look closer at the image you will see the difference.

A lot also depends on how the content was generated. Warner did not equally create these disks - but I still got Blu-ray because I am looking at the future.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
depends on your TV's deinterlacer really, if it's just as good as the one in XA2 (ie same chip) then they are identical. If your TV is one of the ones that fails the deinterlace test, then you might see differences, especially in high motion scenes.
Speaking of the XA2, it does a great job. The image produced on upscaled DVDs from the XA2 is better than what I get from my Enlightened Audio Designs TheaterVision P running through a DVDO HD+ scaler.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the input thus far. And no flaming yet...yeah.

Normally I'd just get the 1080p and be done with it but as I mentioned I'm considering the ability to travel on my laptop with the combo disc and the online options the HD-DVD has.

Also, the review seems to indicate a rather soft look to the film as well so the difference might be even more minute on this one. Just additinal talking points.

Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH View Post
Thanks for the input thus far. And no flaming yet...yeah.

Normally I'd just get the 1080p and be done with it but as I mentioned I'm considering the ability to travel on my laptop with the combo disc and the online options the HD-DVD has.

Also, the review seems to indicate a rather soft look to the film as well so the difference might be even more minute on this one. Just additinal talking points.

Thanks again.
Here's a good place to start:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/300.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/300.html