Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD Vids - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-30-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD Vids

Hi All-

New to the forum and had a quick question. Fortunately, I wasn't forced to "pick a side" in the "format war". I was given both an HD-DVD player and Blu-Ray player by my wife (boy was I surprised!). Long term, I know this isn't a viable solution, but she wanted me to have the best of both worlds right now.

The problem now is determining which version of a movie to buy (BR or HD). I've read several of the reviews of current releases, but haven't noticed much difference between the BR and HD discs (some audio options on BR, some additional features on HD just to generalize). Is there an easy way to quickly compare the competing versions of the same disc (to determine which is the better option)? Is there a general rule of thumb about which to buy?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 PM

well, you are in good shape when it comes to movies that are only for a specific format. I pretty much read the reviews on this site, and then check price. Like I definitely want 300 on HD for the extras, but PQ looks about the same. On the other hand, I wanted flags of our Fathers on blu cause it was a lot cheaper.
I am neutral as well but a lot of people are going to answer biased due to what they own/support.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

I'd get them in blu, so that you don't have to keep your hddvd player around or have to buy a dual format player in the future to play some of your collection...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:18 PM

Welcome devriesp12! It sure is nice to have both choices immediately! You will like having both formats, trust me.

Unfortunately, this is not going to be the best section for you to get advice from. You have posted in the smackdown forum, which is far from a "reasonable comparison" forum. Here you are more than likely to get a bunch of fanboys from both sides bickering with each other rather than a good comparison. For instance, the post right above mine was made by a Blu-ray owner that has convinced himself that HD-DVD will be dead by the end of the year, and posts to that effect consistently. There is no evidence besides his own opinion to support this.

I would recommend you post in the general discussion forum:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

There is no format bashing allowed on that section, and you will get much more reasonable people to help you understand the differences between each format. There are really only 2 studios (Paramount and WB) you need to worry about the choice, as all the others have chosen sides and you have no choice.

Last edited by pkremer; 07-30-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:33 PM

buy the one that has the most features, options and content.

many "neutral" people on here are not going to buy the hd dvd version of 300 even though it is the better version. Don't be like that.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM

Being neutral myself, it comes down to two things:

1. Price (BD date and date are normally cheaper than HD DVD combos)
2. Content

Go with whichever is more important to you.

And remember that neither media will self destruct if it loses the format war.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:14 PM
formerly Blu Christmas

I only have Blu-ray, but if I had both I would go by this:

1. Video and Audio - Some early releases by Warner have better audio on the HD-DVD side. Recently, studios like Paramount are putting next gen audio on the Blu-ray side. So, check out the specs before you purchase.

2. If special features are you cup of tea, then some HD-DVD discs have some fun options, but in general, most features are the same.

3. Obviously, some discs are exclusive to each format so you don't have a choice.

Just be sure to look carefully before buying. It will save you from double dipping later. Or like me, got MI3 on Blu-ray before I learned about the lack of next gen audio. Now, I'll likely exchange it when/if they re-issue.

Take it easy,
Old 07-30-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
buy the one that has the most features, options and content.

many "neutral" people on here are not going to buy the hd dvd version of 300 even though it is the better version. Don't be like that.
I would suggest the following personally:

#1) Compare audio/video quality (should be top priority!)
#2) Compare features
#3) Compare price
#4) If applicable, compare the value of any extra features in one format, over the price difference of the other format. In a nutshell, do the differences in features warrant the extra cost to you?

Now for myself, I would have one more little rule on there, which would be tied with #2, stating: Avoid all combo discs like the plague. But that's just me
Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 PM

One of the issues with comparing the video quality on like titles (i.e. Warner Bros.), is that they are starting to do video encodes once, and then dropping the video on to both discs.

So, from a technical standpoint, the movies should look identical. And this is one of the troubles for comparison. Basically comparing picture quality on a BD movie with an HD movie can only be done if it is the same movie.

Paramount is supposed to be stepping up their BD game, and making the picture and sound better on their BD titles... however, I will believe that when I see it.

So in essence... Warner takes a movie like 300, for example, encodes it once with VC-1 codec for HD-DVD, and the file size is perfect to drop on both discs, seeing as how BD has more space. The audio is pretty much the same, except the BD has more space, so they can fit an uncompressed audio track on the BD as well al the other tracks. However, HD has more interactivity options available, so there is interactivity included on the HD. BD is still working on their BD-Java for interactivity.