False alarm: Target's not giving up on HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:41 AM

Default False alarm: Target's not giving up on HD DVD

HD DVD PR on the loose...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/28/f...-up-on-hd-dvd/

Quote:
As noted on Engadget HD the other day, and further clarified by Major Nelson this morning, that story about Target going exclusively Blu-ray was false. Turns out they're just installing Blu-ray aisle end caps, thanks to a new promotional deal with Sony, but HD DVD isn't going anywhere. Hopefully you haven't chucked out your HD DVD collection just yet in a concession to defeat at Thursday's "news," but if you have it's always good to know you can score replacements at your local Target, just like always.
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/4680

Quote:
By Michael Santo
Executive Editor, RealTechNews

I scoffed a little at the HD-DVD group’s damage control in my earlier post about Target and Blu-ray exclusivity, but that may have been premature. Although it does appear that Target will only sell Sony’s BDP-S300 in its stores, they haven’t given up on HD-DVD.

The HD DVD PR team sent us a statement from Universal Studios VP Ken Graffeo stating the deal amounted only to an “end cap” purchased by Sony putting its BDP-S300 in stores. Meanwhile Toshiba’s HD DVD player will remain in Target’s website, just as the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on and HD DVD movies will stay in Target stores. Source: enGadget HD

We Say: A post at MajorNelson.com had more detail. Although Sony seems to have been overzealous in their press release, it still seems to me that if Target is only selling Blu-ray players, no HD-DVD players, in-stiore, that makes a statement.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:43 AM

This has already been posted.

Close this thread please.

Quote:
By Michael Santo
Executive Editor, RealTechNews

I scoffed a little at the HD-DVD group’s damage control in my earlier post about Target and Blu-ray exclusivity, but that may have been premature. Although it does appear that Target will only sell Sony’s BDP-S300 in its stores, they haven’t given up on HD-DVD.

The HD DVD PR team sent us a statement from Universal Studios VP Ken Graffeo stating the deal amounted only to an “end cap” purchased by Sony putting its BDP-S300 in stores. Meanwhile Toshiba’s HD DVD player will remain in Target’s website, just as the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on and HD DVD movies will stay in Target stores. Source: enGadget HD

We Say: A post at MajorNelson.com had more detail. Although Sony seems to have been overzealous in their press release,
it still seems to me that if Target is only selling Blu-ray players, no HD-DVD players, in-stiore, that makes a statement.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:45 AM

this is such crap,engadgets original post says the discs dont count, so it makes no sense. Only people that didnt understand that didnt read.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
This has already been posted.

Close this thread please.

it still seems to me that if Target is only selling Blu-ray players, no HD-DVD players, in-stiore, that makes a statement.
yes this has already been posted.. and I agree, if they are infact only selling Blu Ray players in stores, this is a statement. Target is trying to back what they see as the winner in the format war, while at the same time trying not to be controversial.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:46 AM

The Damage has already been done.

That Target news was on the front page of alot of papers the next day in the US...
Old 07-29-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
The Damage has already been done.

That Target news was on the front page of alot of papers the next day in the US...
hahaha

man you take this way too seriously. " a lot of papers" like Wallstreet journal or New York Times. Yep man, they have nothing better to do but to follow blu-ray vs. hd dvd war.

hahaha you made my day !
Old 07-29-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc20000 View Post
hahaha

man you take this way too seriously. " a lot of papers" like Wallstreet journal or New York Times. Yep man, they have nothing better to do but to follow blu-ray vs. hd dvd war.

hahaha you made my day !
your signature is awesome...pirates on HD...lol ..i needed a good laugh.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 AM

I would agree that the MODERATORS SHOULD CLOSE this thread.

As Sbert pointed out, it was clearly already discussed in the original Target threads (as well as all links to the announcements) that Target was continuing to sell HD-DVD software in-store, and hardware & software on-line. And that the 360 & its add-on would remain in-store.

Not much left to debate, except what already went on in the original Target thread (ie: what effect having only a Blu-ray standalone on display in Target stores will have on consumer mindshare).
Old 07-29-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc20000 View Post
hahaha

hahaha you made my day !
Personal attacks here aren't allowed, however, I'll let you slide on that one.

Considering that it's the SMACKDOWN HD DVD vs BD forum, having information relevant to the battle @ hand is important, wouldn't you say?

OR do you find your current inept and uninformed opinions, ie, Disney's going neutral, as more enlightening?

If you were to survey the others here, I think they'd rather have topics and opinions that are relevant to the debate.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
Personal attacks here aren't allowed,
Geesh, from my short time around here you wouldnt know that.

Just say anythying at all questioning BDs self-proclaimed Superiority and you are greeted with quite the onslaught of statements that essentially attack you.

No biggie though, I could care less what 1% of the video hobbyist population think. You guys dont matter quite as much as you think you do.
Closed Thread