Is there a relationship between the PS3 crowd/BD winning/types of movies on BD??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Banned

Default Is there a relationship between the PS3 crowd/BD winning/types of movies on BD???

Im relatively new to this format stuff and this site but one thing that I have noticed is that due to studio support BD would *appear* to have access to a giant group of solid catalog titles that you would think would be big sellers. Im not gonna name them...you know the stuff I'm talking about. A lot of it is from Fox, MGM, or Disney.

So, BD leading the software sales end of it has to be because of the PS3 since the stand-alone sales Toshiba apparently leads in.

But.... the total number of titles released is pretty close and the overall quality and desireability of the titles seems to be pretty close too.

So.... is BDs lead mainly because the PS3 crowd are more like the types that would enjoy the types of releases being hyped for BD? Lots of action stuff, things like that? I always considered the gaming crowd likely to be more into POTC type stuff and movie buffs would be not so into that kind of stuff.

Oh well.... Just wondering how HD DVD has the stand alone sales leads, the PS3 apparently has poor attach rates, and yet BD leads the software sales.

Sort of confusing....
Old 07-28-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentSmith View Post
Im relatively new to this format stuff and this site but one thing that I have noticed is that due to studio support BD would *appear* to have access to a giant group of solid catalog titles that you would think would be big sellers. Im not gonna name them...you know the stuff I'm talking about. A lot of it is from Fox, MGM, or Disney.

So, BD leading the software sales end of it has to be because of the PS3 since the stand-alone sales Toshiba apparently leads in.

But.... the total number of titles released is pretty close and the overall quality and desireability of the titles seems to be pretty close too.

So.... is BDs lead mainly because the PS3 crowd are more like the types that would enjoy the types of releases being hyped for BD? Lots of action stuff, things like that? I always considered the gaming crowd likely to be more into POTC type stuff and movie buffs would be not so into that kind of stuff.

Oh well.... Just wondering how HD DVD has the stand alone sales leads, the PS3 apparently has poor attach rates, and yet BD leads the software sales.

Sort of confusing....

The PS3 attach rate does suck, but the number of PS3's out there is very high, relative to standalone players from either side.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Banned

I think there is too much of a stereotype on the movie preferences of person who owns a PS3.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
I think there is too much of a stereotype on the movie preferences of person who owns a PS3.
I was really just asking...not trying to stereotype anyone.

It just seems that the slam, bam action flicks may appeal more to the gaming crowd. Just like Harry Meets Sally appealed mostly to the female viewing crowd. Thats not streotyping, its called realistic data.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
The PS3 attach rate does suck, but the number of PS3's out there is very high, relative to standalone players from either side.
Right..then even with the poor attach rates theres enough of them to still make the software lead in their favor.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 PM

The attach rates are excellent for a game console.