When will it end? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: When will the format war end?
1-3 months: BD is pulling away now, HD DVD will be irrelevant by the holiday season 3 4.29%
Q1 2008: BD will bury HD DVD this holiday season, retailers stop carrying HD DVD Q1 2008 29 41.43%
1-2 Years: BD will eventually win, but HD DVD will hand around for a while 19 27.14%
Never: There will be a stalemate, both will be around until VOD takes over 13 18.57%
You Blu boys are smoking crack, HD DVD has 'em right where they want them 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Default When will it end?

With recent news and trends, it seems safe to me to conclude that it's not a matter of if BD will win, only a matter of when.

I, like many, believed that this holiday season would decide the war. With the majority of summer blockbusters coming to BD and continued decrease in price of BD players, I expected BD to pull away and bury HD DVD during holiday season. Shortly thereafter, in Q1 2008, I expected that many retailers would stop carrying HD DVD. Consumers would decide the war, retailers would end it.

However, with the recent news of major retailers, Target and BJs, going Blu only, more and more small studios following that same route, and the recent 3:1 sales lead in software, it looks as if BD is starting to pull away now. Is it possible that BD could run away with this now? Could this war be over with even before the holidays start?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:47 PM

Holiday 2007 will decide this format war, nuff said.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:55 PM

I personally believe that HD DVD never had a chance and was never really a serious contendor all along. That doesn't mean it is going away anytime soon though. There will be HD DVD players very likely for another couple of years, but that is not a direct relation to the end of any format war. That is, the format of choice was assured two plus years ago, and was self evident by the start of this year. I expect that by early next year it will be pretty much unanimous that Blu-ray is the winner. But, we will still see HD DVD stickin around for another couple of years trying to make people less pissed off at Toshiba.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:22 PM

Unless all studios go format neutral , I predict this will virtually be over by Q4 next year.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:32 PM

This 4th quarter will decide which direction the war will go., I think hd dvd will gain ground..

if not then its over...

if hd dvd has an insane 4th quarter, i think we will see more neutral studios..
buts its just wishful thinking...

as blu-ray is still pulling ahead.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:35 PM

The matrix doesn't have a ending and so does this. Stupid war, i used to just buy movies that i like. Now i will have to look at imdb to look which studio is making it. It is sick.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:40 PM

War is over after Q4. Now HD DVD might hobble along in a niche arena, but I feel that retailers will end this debate after BD runs over HD DVD through the holidays.

Some are already weighing in, and I have a feeling we will see more of the posturing that's already been happening.

HD DVD has no response except to give away more. It hasn't worked up to now and it will continue to fail going forward.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

War will never be over until no more companies release new HDDVDs (or vice versa for BD).

As of right now, there is no sign of that even starting to happen.

Fact. End of story.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:34 PM

In my opinion the so called format war lasted very short at best. Blu-ray has won a long time ago. Hd dvd is a niche format and nothing will change that. The only thing that is going to happen in the holiday season is for blu-ray to push the mainstream into hi def and away from sd dvd. I still love my tosh. a20!!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:35 PM

where is the tomorrow option?