The death of HD DVD? = The death of common sense. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Default The death of HD DVD? = The death of common sense.

While it is impossible to ignore the momentum that Sony-Disc, I mean Blu Ray has gathered in the past month and a half, I still see HD DVD as the common sense format.

1. The price of stand alone hd dvd players is now within reach of anyone who currently has an hdtv. Yes, $299 is an "impulse buy" price for HD-capable J6P. I should know, I am one. $499 for a standalone blu ray player is a laugh-and-walk-away price for HD-capable J6P, no matter how many times I walk by the end-cap at Target.

2. Combo (hd dvd/dvd) discs make it possible for people to add to their movie collection and play these discs on every player in their home, car, vacation home, computer, etc. Even if it isn't a combo disc, I haven't blown so much $$$ on the hd dvd player that I can't afford some exclusive software. If you can afford a blu player in the first place, chances are you only have one on your main display, which means you only have one place to watch your blu ray disc. Guess you'll have to buy an SDDVD too, or buy more blu hardware (which explains exclusive studio and manufacturers' mindsets).

3. Being an early adopter of hd dvd is a safer bet with rock-solid standards established from the beginning.

4. PQ and AQ are a wash, pure and simple.

5. The selection of titles is, in my mind, a wash... for now. Universal, Warner, Paramount, and the others on hd dvd are home to some of my absolute must-have titles. This makes the cost-effectiveness of hd dvd even more attractive to me. I will regret not having Disney and Fox in my format early on, but if common sense and the best interest of the average consumer do eventually win out, I'm sure they'll see the light.

In the end, hd dvd just makes sense. It is a safe and sensible investment.

Still, in spite of all common sense, blu ray has the clear momentum right now, which is what makes me hold out hope that common sense, and consumer interests, will eventually prevail.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong is King View Post
While it is impossible to ignore the momentum that Sony-Disc, I mean Blu Ray has gathered in the past month and a half, I still see HD DVD as the common sense format.

1. The price of stand alone hd dvd players is now within reach of anyone who currently has an hdtv. Yes, $299 is an "impulse buy" price for HD-capable J6P. I should know, I am one. $499 for a standalone blu ray player is a laugh-and-walk-away price for HD-capable J6P, no matter how many times I walk by the end-cap at Target.

2. Combo (hd dvd/dvd) discs make it possible for people to add to their movie collection and play these discs on every player in their home, car, vacation home, computer, etc. Even if it isn't a combo disc, I haven't blown so much $$$ on the hd dvd player that I can't afford some exclusive software. If you can afford a blu player in the first place, chances are you only have one on your main display, which means you only have one place to watch your blu ray disc. Guess you'll have to buy an SDDVD too, or buy more blu hardware (which explains exclusive studio and manufacturers' mindsets).

3. Being an early adopter of hd dvd is a safer bet with rock-solid standards established from the beginning.

4. PQ and AQ are a wash, pure and simple.

5. The selection of titles is, in my mind, a wash... for now. Universal, Warner, Paramount, and the others on hd dvd are home to some of my absolute must-have titles. This makes the cost-effectiveness of hd dvd even more attractive to me. I will regret not having Disney and Fox in my format early on, but if common sense and the best interest of the average consumer do eventually win out, I'm sure they'll see the light.

In the end, hd dvd just makes sense. It is a safe and sensible investment.

Still, in spite of all common sense, blu ray has the clear momentum right now, which is what makes me hold out hope that common sense, and consumer interests, will eventually prevail.
Yeah, that about sums it up. You just wonder what the fock all the BD guys were thinking with incomplete hardware, ass-rape prices, and the shittiest library of released titles ever with NO signs af anything with substance coming out unless you find POTC and Sputter-man intriguing. Nothing like a Super Hero movie with some singing in it. Great, just terrific....

The state of the human race scares me....

That being said, Sony Ray will hopefully flop too or just be super-niche. A Sony Ray failure would be a national holiday!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:16 PM

Well, if Sony has anything to do with any of it, all will be a ass-rape, wallet emptying, crappy customer experiance of a life time.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:16 PM

It _WAS_ common sense to go HD-DVD maybe up to about 3 months ago, but when the 3rd month straight of Blu-Ray disc sales stayed 60-70/30-40 - you have to question that decision.

The price is great and in light of that marketshare didn't get better - makes you wonder right?

Combo hd/dvd's...cost more money than a regular disc, in general - think this is a double edged sword. A lot of people also hate these discs in general - even HD-DVD supporters. and market trends- makes you wonder right?

What are those rock-solid standards - at this point of the game, blu-ray can play movies doesn't have the bd-j, but does everything else - and with that coming along in a few months and possibly even better than that of HD along with current market trends - makes you wonder right?

PQ and AQ are a wash, pure and simple - but market trends - makes you wonder right?

The selection of titles being a wash, yet the market trends are showing otherwise - makes you wonder right?

In spite of all the "common sense", the common thing here is market trend. And if you have "common sense", you'll see that blu-ray makes that "common sense" at this time.

HD-DVD was common sense perhaps at one time. But now - it isn't.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 PM

I'm in it to replace standard definition DVDs altogether. I don't want just blockbusters but obscure stuff too. I love Hi-def and I don't want to see this remain niche forever. Choosing HD DVD means a war with no immediate end. That's why I've chosen blu ray.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Banned

You forgot to take into account that the reason hddvd player price being cheaper is that they're being subsidized by toshiba, and in reality, both BD and HDDVD players cost about the same to make. Sony could have done something similar but they chose not to lose money, and maybe they will do it after the profile 1.1 update.
And common sense for the studios would be to protect their IP BETTER, (maybe not 100% but still a whole lot better than on a disc with broken copy protection) and that's why a majority of them are blu only.
The target news is pretty much just mindshare, but come Q4 and the new BD releases come out, including Fox who are launching titles with BD+ and BD-J features, and it will be all but over for HDDVD.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 PM

Well as i posted in other threads, Blu-ray is up and theres still lots of hype about it and lots of people are buyin in to it...it will eventually fade and i feel we will see the gap between the two formats fade as we head into the fourth quarter.

I to also feel that the hd-dvd is better suited for our needs..as i stated in and earlier thread, hd-dvd can win this war on its own merits, with everything being equal, no studio exclusives..

This is why i pray for neutral studios!..

But right now i can see the light fading, but time will tell if hd dvd can get rollin like it was in 2006...
Old 07-25-2007, 09:22 PM

You have indeed proven that things can change quickly and drastically. Makes you wonder about the future... right?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:23 PM

I chose HD DVD for these exact reasons. Lower prices + established standards = common sense to me. But apparently some people enjoy giving Sony and company all their hard-earned cash. Hey, if pouring out the contents of your wallet into the lap of a Sony exec is your thing, who am I to question?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong is King View Post
You have indeed proven that things can change quickly and drastically. Makes you wonder about the future... right?
Yes, it does but it makes me wonder when blu-ray will either be the definitive winner or part of a dual format marketplace, but there is very little room in that future of a HD-DVD dominated market. Enough for me, not to wonder about HD-DVD winning the format war.