Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Malanthius is offline Member

Default Why was the poll thread closed?

Wondering why my Poll thread was closed? I didn't close it and there was no warnings and it was pretty civil for smackdown standards.
    Roku2, Roku3, Samsung 1600, Insignia BR W/Netflix!
    = 70

Sbert is offline Member

lol I was wondering the same thing
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

bruceames is offline Member

Probably an inadvertent thread closure, my best guess. Can't imagine why it would be closed on purpose, lol.

IMO, because of the constant merry-go-round of Blu-ray is a failure, tis not, tis so, tis not.

Well im sure thats part of it. Thats always going to be part of a discussion in smackdown. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. Maybe someone just doesn't like it being said.
    = 70

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
    Maybe someone just doesn't like it being said.
    I do not think so, a false statement stated 1000 times does not make it true, conversely a true statement stated 1000 times does not make it any more true (or false). IMO, EST, DVD and Blu-ray are what they are, post on some forum will have virtually no effect on their success or failure. I base that upon the war of regular DVD vs Divx DVD, 8VSB vs COFDM and Blu-ray vs HD DVD. The latter had several MS, Intel and other backers posting on forums like crazy and in the end it did not matter. The same was true of 8VSB vs COFDM, the COFDM backers raised such a stink they got the FCC to halt 8VSB adoption and do another round of testing. This was after 8VSB had been in testing for years and had been approved by the FCC. Once again it did not matter, 8VSB was mandated and we all switched.

For me, EST, DVD and Blu-ray is available and I use them all (EST very limited, 150 DVDs remaining, still in use and adding to my 375 BD). When UHDTV and 4K Blu-ray arrives I have ever intention to partake of that as well. I have no delusions about 4K, it will most likely be a very small market for many years.

I have been reading and posting on BBS since the mid 80's have observed a tremendous number of post stating something as fact (as pertaining to TV production/broadcasting, video/audio) when in reality it was nothing more than an opinion.

BTW, DVD vs Divx DVD on eTown forums (long defunct) would make the worst of Smackdown look G rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell R Breland View Post
    I do not think so, a false statement stated 1000 times does not make it true, conversely a true statement stated 1000 times does not make it any more true (or false). IMO, EST, DVD and Blu-ray are what they are, post on some forum will have virtually no effect on their success or failure. I base that upon the war of regular DVD vs Divx DVD, 8VSB vs COFDM and Blu-ray vs HD DVD. The latter had several MS, Intel and other backers posting on forums like crazy and in the end it did not matter. The same was true of 8VSB vs COFDM, the COFDM backers raised such a stink they got the FCC to halt 8VSB adoption and do another round of testing. This was after 8VSB had been in testing for years and had been approved by the FCC. Once again it did not matter, 8VSB was mandated and we all switched.

For me, EST, DVD and Blu-ray is available and I use them all (EST very limited, 150 DVDs remaining, still in use and adding to my 375 BD). When UHDTV and 4K Blu-ray arrives I have ever intention to partake of that as well. I have no delusions about 4K, it will most likely be a very small market for many years.

I have been reading and posting on BBS since the mid 80's have observed a tremendous number of post stating something as fact (as pertaining to TV production/broadcasting, video/audio) when in reality it was nothing more than an opinion.

BTW, DVD vs Divx DVD on eTown forums (long defunct) would make the worst of Smackdown look G rated.
    There is no true or false regarding opinions. Statements are true or false only if they are facts. Mal's opinion that Blu-ray is a failure is just that, his opinion. Keep in mind that he is looking at it purely from a sales standpoint, ie, expected sales vs. actual sales. His opinion that Blu-ray has failed to live up to sales expectations is one that I agree with.

The data actually backs him up. Blu-ray is showing signs of peaking at less than 20% of DVD's peak. And it can also be argued that these low BLu-ray sales figures are exaggerating by sales of Blu-ray/DVD combo packs. His conclusion that Blu-ray is a failure is based on his opinion that sales have been lower than expected by a wide enough margin for it to be considered as such.

Sbert is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    There is no true or false regarding opinions. Statements are true or false only if they are facts. Mal's opinion that Blu-ray is a failure is just that, his opinion. Keep in mind that he is looking at it purely from a sales standpoint, ie, expected sales vs. actual sales. His opinion that Blu-ray has failed to live up to sales expectations is one that I agree with.

The data actually backs him up. Blu-ray is showing signs of peaking at less than 20% of DVD's peak. And it can also be argued that these low BLu-ray sales figures are exaggerating by sales of Blu-ray/DVD combo packs. His conclusion that Blu-ray is a failure is based on his opinion that sales have been lower than expected by a wide enough margin for it to be considered as such.
    Yes, it's easy to drill down certain things and say it has specifically failed to achieve things.

However, the general question still pertains: is blu-ray in _GENERAL_ a success?

I have asked this question to everyone in the past. If your feet were held to the fire and you had to answer. I believe in that poll, 1 or 2 people said no, everyone else said yes.
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

There is
    Sorry man, you post sounds like some old 78 that got stuck in a grove and is repeating the same phrase over and over. Your post contains nothing that has not already been posted countless times. Suggestion, do a poll, post the same message and ask folks if they really care.

In my book if one is to be taken seriously they must show where they can equal or exceed whatever it is they are criticizing. So perhaps it would help if folks could post something about their personal successes. A short summary about me below, Facebook: Wendell Breland.

AVS Forum HDTV HDTV Technical The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic! Post # 2475

Sorry man, you post sounds like some old 78 that got stuck in a grove and is repeating the same phrase over and over. Your post contains nothing that has not already been posted countless times. Suggestion, do a poll, post the same message and ask folks if they really care.

In my book if one is to be taken seriously they must show where they can equal or exceed whatever it is they are criticizing. So perhaps it would help if folks could post something about their personal successes. A short summary about me below, Facebook: Wendell Breland.

AVS Forum HDTV HDTV Technical The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic! Post # 2475
    Sorry man, you sound like someone a little too full of himself, and considers his opinion as fact. IMHO, the world has too many of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
    Yes, it's easy to drill down certain things and say it has specifically failed to achieve things.

However, the general question still pertains: is blu-ray in _GENERAL_ a success?

I have asked this question to everyone in the past. If your feet were held to the fire and you had to answer. I believe in that poll, 1 or 2 people said no, everyone else said yes.
    That was a few years ago, IIRC. Things change over time, and again Mal's interpretation is solely based on sales. Performance-wise I think we all agree that Blu-ray is great (except for load times).

As I've said before, I'm glad Blu-ray won the format battle. It's an excellent format that through no fault of its own simply hasn't won over consumers liked the studios had hoped.
    Last edited by bruceames; 02-12-2013 at 08:23 PM.

ack_bak is offline Member

LOL, I thought Mal had closed it.. IMHO, it was pretty tame and there was some good discussion going on. Oh well.

Sorry man, you sound like someone a little too full of himself, and considers his opinion as fact. IMHO, the world has too many of those people.
    Touchy are we? Not that it matters but do a search to see how many times you have repeated yourself.

silverado is offline Member

Touchy are we? Not that it matters but do a search to see how many times you have repeated yourself.
    This would prove what point?? We understand that what you state as opinion is indeed fact in your head, but out here in the real world, it is just a lone opinion in a cyber world of billions.
    Relax and enjoy the plastic disc in you own little way.

I just wanted to say that you are exactly right about how I feel Bruce. I'm fine with Bluray winning the format war as well. It provides me with a great product. Not without it's flaws. But a great product nonetheless. But just look at what Bluray was supposed to do? It was supposed to replace DVD. It's never going to do that. And I don't want people to play games with that statement. When I say replace. I mean replace DVD and continue the revenue the studios were getting from DVD. After all, if that was not the intent of releasing a successor to DVD then what was? To give us all a cheap upgrade out of the kindness of their corporate hearts? LOL yeah right! The powers that be had a gold mine with DVD and they wanted that to continue. That's why they created Bluray. You can't argue that. If you try you are using a lame argument.

Once all/most of the catalog titles were released on DVD what were they to do? They had to come up with a better product to get us all to buy those movies again. Thus HDDVD and Bluray were created. But just look at the failure catalog has been on HDM? Is anyone really going to call catalog sales on Bluray a success? I guess if you don't want to honestly look at the big picture you can say "oh hey that was all extra money anyway. The studios already made money on those titles". Ya right! You could have said the same thing about all those titles that were released on VHS and then sold BIG on DVD. So spare me the excuses. I've heard them all before. There was big hope for Bluray/HDDVD. And those hopes resulted with an apparent max of less than what 3 billion in sales? 3 billion sounds like a lot. But not when you consider VHS's 15 billion and DVDs 20 something billion they made? (forgive me for not remembering the exact numbers) Kinda puts things in perspective doesn't it? So yes. Bluray/HDDVD great products. Both sales/market failures.
    = 70

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast