How will the format war end? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: How will the format war end?
Blu-ray will become mainstream, HDDVD will become niche, i.e. VHS vs. Beta 71 61.74%
HDDVD will become mainstream, Blu-ray will become niche, i.e. VHS vs. Beta 5 4.35%
Both will become mainstream with dual format players, i.e. DVD-R vs. DVD+R 29 25.22%
Upconverted DVD will win, both will become niche, i.e. CD vs. SACD vs. DVD-A 9 7.83%
VOD will win, both will become niche, i.e. MP3 vs. SACD vs. DVD-A 1 0.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

Default How will the format war end?

I don't think any format will completely die after this point no matter what happens, i.e. they were still making laserdiscs a couple years ago, but here's a poll for your predictions. I don't have any choices where something completely dies out, I think that's unlikely, but they will simply become niche.

P.S. This is for predicting what will happen, not for choosing what you wish to happen.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:50 PM

Dual format players will end the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD war, but that doesn't mean they can beat DVD or VOD.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Both will be on the shelf.

I can see a future with both formats on the shelf from all studios. I could see maybe the studios giving exclusives to the format they support. But why not, we have had Widescreen & Fullscreen, Rated & Unrated, & single disc & 2 disc editions of the same titles, so retailers are already used to it. +R & -R are perfect examples, does anyone even notice or care any more about that ?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:01 PM

The reason that this war will not be like DVD +R and DVD -R is because those writable formats have a purpose.

DVD+R is primary used for Data
DVD-R is primary used for Video.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:24 PM

whatever the stated purpose of +R or -R, I used a ton to burn DVD's & there were manufacturers players on both sides of that 1 also. most were -R, ironically Sony was 1 of the 1st to support both, along with Philips. Toshiba was -R & their literature today on the HD player states -R...but it plays +R & the dual layer version as well. I was a +R guy then, now it doesn't matter.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
I don't think any format will completely die after this point no matter what happens, i.e. they were still making laserdiscs a couple years ago, but here's a poll for your predictions. I don't have any choices where something completely dies out, I think that's unlikely, but they will simply become niche.

P.S. This is for predicting what will happen, not for choosing what you wish to happen.
Laserdisc is a bad comparison, there was no competing disc format.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:18 AM

hey, guys you wanna laugh

here is choice ---HDDVD will become mainstream, Blu-ray will become niche, i.e. VHS vs. Beta -

Guess who voted for this - none other then Divian ---

I like to know from what point?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-heaven View Post
hey, guys you wanna laugh

here is choice ---HDDVD will become mainstream, Blu-ray will become niche, i.e. VHS vs. Beta -

Guess who voted for this - none other then Divian ---

I like to know from what point?
I too, wish to know the logic behind this vote, unless the only reason is blind fanboyism
Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 AM

Dual format.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 AM

Oh, and on my vote, I forsee Universal being neutral by maximum 2009, HD DVD titles are still released by the neutral companies but it comes to a point where BD is unofficially mainstream and HD DVD just hangs there, kindly like the later years of the VHS/Betamax war.