HD DVD Barely Hanging On - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 AM

Default HD DVD Barely Hanging On

It came to my mind that when people talk about Blu-ray that the word 'Sony' is often brought up to go with the technology.

I would have to say that it is definitely fair enough to disagree with that, but also agree that if Sony were to stop supporting Blu-ray, or go neutral, that Blu-ray would be in serious trouble. Pretty much across the board, if any other company went format neutral instead of Blu-ray exclusive, it would have far less impact on Blu-ray overall as a format.

But, HD DVD seems to be barely hanging on and any of three companies involved with HD DVD can make a huge difference to the format by going neutral of defecting to the other side.

While it does seem to be the Toshiba monopoly and if Toshiba went neutral, or threw in the towel it is pretty much a hands down 'HD DVD is gone' point. But Toshiba most definitely has a ton of reliance on two other companies that should just be bit players in the format war.

Universal Studios and Microsoft.

Universal is the one most often mentioned because it is the only holdout (major) studio in this format war for Blu-ray. If Universal went neutral than almost anyone could buy just one player and get any movie they wanted. As it stands, yes HD DVD is cheaper, but can't offer nearly as many current blockbusters or series. A move to neutrality by Universal would be a huge stumbling block for HD DVD.

Microsoft is the other one... Lets face it, if Microsoft got behind Blu-ray and made/allowed a add-on drive to the X360 and openly made software and worked to produce components/chips the way they do for HD DVD then I think there are few who would believe that HD DVD could actually survive. A group of millions of X360 owners would likely get off the 'HD DVD rulez' high horse and instead buy the player that matched up with the movies they want. Much less of a fanboi basis if you have a choice and the price were the same. Not quite sure how HD DVD could possibly survive a blow like that either.

What's more, those two companies aren't necessarily locked into HD DVD the way Toshiba is, or the way Sony is with Blu-ray. Universal could make the move easier than anyone - probably why their name is brought up most often.. But Microsoft could almost as easily allow one of the Blu-ray manufacturers to make an add-on for the X360 with no pain at all.

My bet is the Universal will act first and that Microsoft will simply step out of the picture and focus on the X360 with HD downloads which will be tied into Vista.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:46 AM

i dont get your first line post of HD dvd barely hanging on, i have yet to see any $199 blue ray players on the market and the 5 free for blue ray just came into focus in the past couple of weeks, i would say the competition is just starting to fight in order to catch up, after all the blu ray format is still setting and changing standards and parameters for a complete product
Old 07-24-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
i dont get your first line post of HD dvd barely hanging on, i have yet to see any $199 blue ray players on the market and the 5 free for blue ray just came into focus in the past couple of weeks, i would say the competition is just starting to fight in order to catch up, after all the blu ray format is still setting and changing standards and parameters for a complete product
HD DVD is barely hanging on in both sales and support.

If 1 of the three fold, then the format folds... it is in a far worse position than BD.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:50 AM

You're a founding member who writes some of the most flame throwing make it up as you go along rubbish I've ever read on this board. Why don't you try and set a higher standard considering you are a founding member and change the record about Universal while you are at it?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't say HD DVD is "barely hanging on" at least in NA, but it's definately playing catch-up.

Otherwise, aside from it being a little condescending ,cant argue with the OP. Then again... we've heard this arguement before... over, and over.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasr View Post
Why don't you try and set a higher standard considering you are a founding member and change the record about Universal while you are at it?
He speaks the truth, it's obvious you can't handle it. Many of us feel Uni will go neutral - eventually - but CES '08 is looking like the official announcement time.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 PM

Very sane and rational arguments. It's "flaming" because it's truthful.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 PM

What I don't understand is why we need to have thread after thread that adds nothing new to the conversation. We all know Universal going neutral would be very bad for HD-DVD, and we all know Microsoft going neutral would also be very bad for HD-DVD. Do we need another whole thread regurgitating the same old information?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
What I don't understand is why we need to have thread after thread that adds nothing new to the conversation. We all know Universal going neutral would be very bad for HD-DVD, and we all know Microsoft going neutral would also be very bad for HD-DVD. Do we need another whole thread regurgitating the same old information?
You HD DVD zealots are worse than talk radio with your regurgitated talking points... here we go .

- HD DVD is better, its better quality..
(BD starts selling better, releases the "science fiction" BD50 discs...smashing HD DVD into oblivion)

Then...

- HD DVD is about the standalones, the PS3 can't win this war..
(PS3 launches, smashing HD DVD again into oblivion)

Then..

- HD DVD has a better price, it's cheap, cheap enough for J6P
(Toshiba cuts price 3 times, guess what, BD sales still smash HD DVD into oblivion)

Then...

-J6P doesn't care about HD...
(I'll guess on this one... J6P prefers BD to HD DVD because of the marketing, greater studio support and the PS3... HD DVD gets SMASHED into oblivion)

Hang it up guys, it's the same BS from you HD DVD zealots every single time...

and every time, you are wrong... prepare to be wrong all the way to the format folding.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
He speaks the truth, it's obvious you can't handle it. Many of us feel Uni will go neutral - eventually - but CES '08 is looking like the official announcement time.
Not trying to flame... seriously, but how do you know that? Certainly it would be a "good" time to do it after having seen how the holiday season played out... but...