Titles? Features? Price? Who Really Knows? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: What will be the deciding factor for the mass market?
Titles 24 61.54%
Extras 0 0%
Price 11 28.21%
No one really knows 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2007, 07:02 AM

Default Titles? Features? Price? Who Really Knows?

What will be the ultimate deciding factor? Number or quality of titles? Interactive / externsive Features? Price? Or does anyone really know for sure?

A lot of stats and historical similarities have been quoted for both formats. Stats can be manipulated and twisted. History of previous wars etc have no real bearing because todays market is so very different to previous format wars.

I can only speak for myself, but if I had to choose a single reason for my format of choice then it would be titles.

I deliberately left quality off the list as in like for like comparisons the quality tends to come out the same. I also left off technology, they are both currently capable of largely the same things, they may both state plans for bigger and better things but until they are a reality they arent facts.

Last edited by renleg; 07-24-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Banned

titles easily
Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 AM

Titles featuring excellent HD encodes and HD lossless sound.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:42 PM

The players have to be within reach of average people in terms of price. People just don't buy stuff if they can't afford it, or can't justify the cost.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
The players have to be within reach of average people in terms of price. People just don't buy stuff if they can't afford it, or can't justify the cost.
If 4 figure HDTV's are within reach of average people, so are the HD players. If they cannot afford a HDTV in the first place, the player price is moot. I believe we will have lots of PS3s, BD players, and HDDVD players thrown in with an HDTV deals for christmas.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 PM

The question is not specific enough.

A deciding factor for choosing HD DVD or Blu-ray? That would be price if long term, pricing for HD DVD could be significantly lower than Blu-ray, but it can't be. At some point, maybe 1-2 years from now, Blu-ray and HD DVD will likely be priced within 10 or 20 bucks of each other. At that price point (whatever it is) it is likely that the mass market will 'decide' to buy into HD.

Then the decision is which format to buy into, and the deciding factor will be movie availability.

The very basic level of survivability belongs to two major factors though:
1. Consumer education - let people know it is out there and that they WANT it.
2. Get pricing down so consumers can buy into it.

For the format war, once 1 & 2 are met, then studio support is what matters if a decision between two formats is still around.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:34 PM

The answer is unquestionably titles. Why would someone buy something, regardless of price, if it isn't supported by the top 3 studios?

This simple glaring fact is the reason HD DVD won't succeed.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroygt View Post
If 4 figure HDTV's are within reach of average people, so are the HD players. If they cannot afford a HDTV in the first place, the player price is moot. I believe we will have lots of PS3s, BD players, and HDDVD players thrown in with an HDTV deals for christmas.
They aren't. You must have a fantastic salary. I envy you.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
I believe it's a combination of titles and price.

Who cares how cheap the player is if you can't buy the movies you want?
Who cares how many movies are available if you can't afford the player?

Interactivity is a cool feature but I just don't see it as a deciding factor compared to price or titles.
I think the cost is prohibitive to some, but I don't think that most people who can afford a $300 player CAN'T afford a $500 player. Now, $200 and below starts to bring in a few additional people, but I think the lack of blockbuster new releases for it negates that.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Lessons from the videogame cousins

Not exactly the same, but just another market for reference.

PS1 and PS2 dominated their markets. Neither of them had the best features or quality in their generation (N64 was ahead of PS1 on graphics. Dreamcast, Xbox, GC were ahead of PS2 on graphics and Xbox had more features like builtin HDD and Xbox Live).

What PS1 and PS2 had was great developer support which meant getting the best and the most titles, and a good variety.

While PS1 and PS2 were dominating its competitors were all forced to drop their prices below them try to keep up sales. The last place console cut the prices the most (GameCube) but remained last.

So the lessons are:

1) Content is king.
2) The losing formats that lack the content are forced to fight with lower prices
3) Lower prices helped to stay alive but didn't reach mass market anywhere near as much as the format that had the most content. This indicates the mass consumer is conscious to content and/or brand power.