Chuck and Larry top Harry Potter in Box Office Sales... - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Treadstone's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,924
Default Chuck and Larry top Harry Potter in Box Office Sales...

WOW, this is shocking. Chuck and Larry have bested Harry Potter. HP's been out for only a little over a week. So this is rather shocking.

So much for it falling on its face...
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...and-hairspray/

Here's the Top 10 chart:

1. 1. Chuck And Larry $12.6M Fri, $11.9M Sat, and est $9.1M Sun. (cume $34.8M)
2. 2. Harry Potter Phoenix $10.4M Fri, $12.3M Sat, and est $9.8M Sun. ($208.5M)
3. 3. Hairspray $11M Fri, $9.2M Sat, and est $7M Sun. ($27.2M)
4. 4. Transformers $6.1M Fri, $7.9M Sat, and est $6M Sun. ($262.9M)
5. 5. Ratatouille $3.5M Fri, $4.2M Sat, and est $3.4M Sun. ($165.6M)
6. 6. Live Free Or Die Hard $2.1M Fri, $2.8M Sat, and est $2M Sun. ($116.1M)
7. 7. License To Wed $1.2M Fri, $1.5M Sat, and est $1.1M Sun. ($38.7M)
8. 8. 1408 $825K Fri, $1M Sat, and est $715K Sun. ($67.5M)
9. 9. Evan Almighty $801K Fri, $961K Sat, and est $700K Sun. ($93.4M)
10. 10. Knocked Up $702K Fri, $914K Sat, and est $650K Sun. ($142.7M)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:26 PM
cleeve's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,993
Default

Uhh, this is Harry Potter's second week out. It's very common for movies to be topped the week after they debut.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:28 PM
CaptainCanuck's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,665
Default

I guess Adam Sandler has a cult following. Those still aren't great numbers though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Rob.D.inToronto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,359
Default

Anything with Adam Sandler will pull in a lot of money.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 158
Default

Harry Potter only finished behind Chuck and Larry by less than 2 million dollars...plus, there was the book called Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that got released on Saturday. That might have some affect in it's box office.

Look, the Potter films, domestically, average around 265 million dollars and on average around 850 million worldwide. This film will be no different. Domestically, it'll tap out at around 265 million and could reach 900 million worldwide. It's already at 550 million worldwide after two weeks.

The film is making bank. It's no where near a failure or disappointment. It's doing quite well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:43 PM
kalim1998's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
WOW, this is shocking. Chuck and Larry have bested Harry Potter. HP's been out for only a little over a week. So this is rather shocking. So much for it falling on its face...
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...and-hairspray/
Please tell us when anyone here said an Adam Sandler movie would "fall on its face".....

And btw, don't crow too much about a comedy that grosses only $34 million its first weekend when Spiderman 3 got $150 million

That sandler movie will barely be a blip when it comes out on HD-DVD (and probably Blu-ray once universal goes neutral)....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Treadstone's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
Harry Potter only finished behind Chuck and Larry by less than 2 million dollars...plus, there was the book called Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that got released on Saturday. That might have some affect in it's box office.

Look, the Potter films, domestically, average around 265 million dollars and on average around 850 million worldwide. This film will be no different. Domestically, it'll tap out at around 265 million and could reach 900 million worldwide. It's already at 550 million worldwide after two weeks.

The film is making bank. It's no where near a failure or disappointment. It's doing quite well.
First, no one is putting down Harry Potter.
Second, the book sales was released in conjunction with the movie for the entire purpose of advertising. The book sales definitely do not hurt the movies sales, it helps them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Treadstone's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim1998 View Post
Please tell us when anyone here said an Adam Sandler movie would "fall on its face".....

And btw, don't crow too much about a comedy that grosses only $34 million its first weekend when Spiderman 3 got $150 million

That sandler movie will barely be a blip when it comes out on HD-DVD (and probably Blu-ray once universal goes neutral)....
uh.....
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=12567
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:46 PM
kalim1998's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
Uh....Notice the guy makes no mention of the BOX OFFICE - he's specifically talking about the dismal critics reviews....

You guys are becoming WAY desperate here, "mate"...makes me feel like this place is full of teenagers - then again, that might 4explain the defense of this stupid sandler movie (and note i liked his Click movie a lot).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 158
Default

Maybe...maybe not. We'll never know. What I do know is that this film, specifically, should've been released during the Thanksgiving weekend. This film is suited more towards that time of the year instead of Goblet of Fire. Goblet of Fire was an action film. Order of the Phoenix is a character driven piece on Harry with a great climax. It would've probably made more in the fall than it's making now.

Even still, WB isn't worried. Again, after two weeks, it's at 550 million worldwide. It'll either get close or pass 900 million, this film. Amazing achievement for the fifth film in a franchise.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy Harry Potter 1-6, get free Lego Harry Potter game! project-blu Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 2 08-09-2010 08:52 PM
Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust announced for Xbox 360, PS3, PC Master X Game Room 21 04-08-2009 01:03 PM
I got I now pronounce you chuck and Larry for free at CC ! GearsOfWar HD DVD Bargains 19 11-07-2007 01:25 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off