Apple TV stats- Installed base of 6.8 million HDTVs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 PM

Default Apple TV stats- Installed base of 6.8 million HDTVs

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ady_hdtvs.html

Quote:
Apple has now sold 6.8 million Apple TV units since switching over to an iOS-based, $99 model. In contrast with similar offerings, Google TV sales have been estimated to have flopped at the 0.5 to 1 million mark after a bold debut last year didn't materialize in sales. Roku has reported sales of about 2.5 million of its low priced, Netflix-oriented TV boxes.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 AM

This is great news for Apple. I enjoy Plex on AppleTV.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:41 PM

What made you decide to take the plunge and buy one? I've hesitated getting one... I had little use/need for it but there are these 2 TV shows I watch and there's no blu-ray in sight and in 6 (combined) seasons worth of episodes, there's only 1 full season available. I won't be cord cutting, but admittedly if I go this route, it would discourage me from bothering to upgrade my Tivo HD to a newer model. When my tivo bites the dust, no idea what I'll do then.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
What made you decide to take the plunge and buy one? I've hesitated getting one... I had little use/need for it but there are these 2 TV shows I watch and there's no blu-ray in sight and in 6 (combined) seasons worth of episodes, there's only 1 full season available. I won't be cord cutting, but admittedly if I go this route, it would discourage me from bothering to upgrade my Tivo HD to a newer model. When my tivo bites the dust, no idea what I'll do then.
We have a small bar TV that I wanted to play my iTunes music and Home network movies on so I installed purchase an Apple TV and installed Plex. I use HTPC boxes in the rest of the house though as they are the Swiss army knife of our home network.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM

The Apple TV is great if you can't be assed setting up a HTPC or some kind of media server (running Plex or XMBC), especially if you have all of your music on iTunes. Bought my mom an Apple TV a year ago (lives in the outback with a great internet connection but no video stores) and she rents everything through it.

I'm getting a spare one to add to my Plex set up.