Cinram BD and DVD Replication - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Question Cinram BD and DVD Replication

Wonder how the sale of cinram will impact there BD and DVD replication?

"TORONTO, June 25, 2012 -- /PRNewswire/ - Cinram International Income Fund (TSX: CRW.UN) (together with its subsidiaries, "Cinram" or the "Fund"), one of the world's largest providers of multi-media products, announced today that it has reached agreements with newly formed subsidiaries of Najafi Companies (collectively, "Najafi") for the sale of substantially all of Cinram's assets and businesses in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France and Germany."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/25/458...#storylink=cpy
Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 PM

Isn't this the company that manufactured scores of defective HD-DVD titles for Warner, Rhino & Magnolia? Based on their performance for Warner, the only way for cinram's replication services to go is up from a quality point of view.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:00 AM

Cinram was the major DVD producer for Warner for over a decade with countless CD and DVDs produced.

There was one actual case of one production run each of Children of Man and Blood Diamond that were HD DVD combos that had trouble playing in some machines, but that was found to have one operator not adjusting a machine or QC properly something that made the bonding layer between the two disc halves be out of tolerance or something like that.

The Cinram Olyphant PA plant used to eb owned diretly by Warner Asylum records in the CD days befor Cinram aquired it from Warner so it had a long history of doing optical disc work for Warner and other companies.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Cinram was the major DVD producer for Warner for over a decade with countless CD and DVDs produced.

There was one actual case of one production run each of Children of Man and Blood Diamond that were HD DVD combos that had trouble playing in some machines, but that was found to have one operator not adjusting a machine or QC properly something that made the bonding layer between the two disc halves be out of tolerance or something like that.

The Cinram Olyphant PA plant used to eb owned diretly by Warner Asylum records in the CD days befor Cinram aquired it from Warner so it had a long history of doing optical disc work for Warner and other companies.
Kosty, I expect you are far out of touch with the HD-DVD quality control problem regarding Warner distributed releases. There are scores of titles that were defective impacting numerous customers, and Warner USA has been replacing them willingly. And this is NOT a HD-DVD Combo problem - it includes a fairly large number of HD30 releases as well. I speak from personal experience plus assisting others in getting their problems resolved with Warner. Warner replaced approximately a dozen titles for me - and neither Children of Men nor Blood Diamond were a problem for me. Warner did not have any HD-DVD's so they sent me blu-rays. Rhino replaced a title (Cream-Royal Albert Hall) as did Magnolia (The Host) - neither of them were combo's and the replacement HD-DVDs they sent me played perfectly. As best I can tell, these all were manufactured by cinram with Warner as the distributor. I compliment Warner on their customer support - and think cinram deserves to no longer exist.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Kosty, I expect you are far out of touch with the HD-DVD quality control problem regarding Warner distributed releases. There are scores of titles that were defective impacting numerous customers, and Warner USA has been replacing them willingly. And this is NOT a HD-DVD Combo problem - it includes a fairly large number of HD30 releases as well. I speak from personal experience plus assisting others in getting their problems resolved with Warner. Warner replaced approximately a dozen titles for me - and neither Children of Men nor Blood Diamond were a problem for me. Warner did not have any HD-DVD's so they sent me blu-rays. Rhino replaced a title (Cream-Royal Albert Hall) as did Magnolia (The Host) - neither of them were combo's and the replacement HD-DVDs they sent me played perfectly. As best I can tell, these all were manufactured by cinram with Warner as the distributor. I compliment Warner on their customer support - and think cinram deserves to no longer exist.
Warner has always had some of the best customer service in the business. I also have had problems with some of the discs and they replaced them no questions asked. They are the same with the Warner Archives titles. Great customer service means that I will return time and time again.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Well, I probably am out of touch with any problems after the format war ended as personally all the HD DVDs I own still work just fine whenever I play them on my HD XA2 (or HD XA1) and since Feb 2008 my concerns have switched to Blu-ray.

I do agree that Warner has always been excellent with customer service for me and anyone else I have know personally throughout the years.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:37 PM

Yes, I kind of assumed your comment was mostly from an industry point of view with no motivation to concern yourself with HD-DVD any longer, which is why I thought I would share a more current consumer's perspective. I have a very large collection of HD-DVDs that now all play fine in my 3rd generation players (well, there still are a handful I have not opened yet, but they are not Warner distributed titles so I do not anticipate any problems based on personal experience). Warner probably could have blown off their customers experiencing these problems, but their staff in Burbank have been very helpful & supportive.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:18 PM

All my HD DVD stuff has never had any problems and I still have a sizable collection. I never even had any problems with with Children of Man or Blood Diamond either with my HD XA2 either, so I still have a personal interest as well.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
All my HD DVD stuff has never had any problems and I still have a sizable collection. I never even had any problems with with Children of Man or Blood Diamond either with my HD XA2 either, so I still have a personal interest as well.
You've been fortunate. But you might want to drag out some of those Warner titles with a HD30 side for a spin to ensure they still play all the way through to make sure cinram disc production hasn't bitten you also.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
You've been fortunate. But you might want to drag out some of those Warner titles with a HD30 side for a spin to ensure they still play all the way through to make sure cinram disc production hasn't bitten you also.
Thanks for the advice.

Not too worried about it though.

I already own Blu-ray versions of most of the Warner titles anyway because of the upgrade to Blu-ray programs or I picked them up for cheap on Blu-ray in the past few years anyway.