Toshiba still delusional over HD DVD loss - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 137
Default Toshiba still delusional over HD DVD loss

Saw this at the cess pool known as highdefforum (aka hddvdloserforum):



of course the losers who are still bitter over HD DVD believe every word Toshiba says without even thinking of the validity of it.

For instance, any rational person knows you don't spend $1B to develop a format and cut a "one time payment" of $150M to Viacom if you think your format will be short lived. Weird that Toshiba saw the writing on the wall and STILL forked over $150M to "secure" Paramount. Weird. One would think they thought they would actually you know, recover that $150M throughout the life of HD DVD. Wherein that life would have had to have been pretty long to recover $150M for one studio. But don't worry about those facts, oh no...

A loser trying to rewrite history is all this is.

Love how he has heard from certain "studio guys", yet they won't fess up and won't return calls to comment. Hey, I heard from some "studio guys" right now. They said Fujii is full of sh*t.
  #2  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,134
Default

I saw this.

I found it interesting that blu-ray was described as more revolutionary than HD DVD, considering how much people like to harp on how blu-ray is an evolutionary not revolutionary format.

I also thought that comment about the "ultra capacity hard drives" was inane and made no sense. Few smart phones or tablets are sold with capacities beyond 16gb, and most movies carried around on these devices are 1-2 gb in size, and those hard drives bear little to no relationship with the proliferation of those devices.
  #3  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
towergrove's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,694
Default

Interesting story. They still seem bitter And acidic after all these years.
  #4  
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Kosty's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 28,296
Default

Its not "Toshiba" that's still bitter either, the company makes a lot of money on Blu-ray hardware now and made a business decision.

Everyone I know at Toshiba involved in the format war is happily doing other things. Some have moved on such as Jodi Sally who took a better job at Colby Electronics.

Even reading the article the interviewee has some regrets about a non-unified format not happening but does not personally seem bitter about anything.

For the CE industry the format war kerfluffle was a moment in their careers and hardly had the same emotional involvement that many of the hard core Blu-ray or HD DVD fanboys had at the time. Even most of the participants as consumers and posters have long since moved on even if a few people at some sites seem to be a bit bitter on things or won't let them go.
  #5  
Old 06-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
...I also thought that comment about the "ultra capacity hard drives" was inane and made no sense. Few smart phones or tablets are sold with capacities beyond 16gb, and most movies carried around on these devices are 1-2 gb in size, and those hard drives bear little to no relationship with the proliferation of those devices.
He is full of it. If storage didn't matter why did they try to beat blurays 50GB with their 51GB discs?

In fact, if Toshiba had the foresight of HD optical being short lived, WHY DID THEY EVEN FIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE? bluray was developed first, HD DVD was made in response to bluray. TOshiba should have just let Sony have it from the get go.

nothing this guy said in the article coincides with what toshiba actually did. he comes off as if they were so wise and pre-cognizant, yet they blew $1B and fought to become the next optical format. weird thing to do if you knew it would be shortlived. this is retrospect BS.
  #6  
Old 06-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Brad1963's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,932
Default

IMO There should have only been Blu ray. The 2 formats confused consumers and slowed down the transition from DVD to Blu ray. Some people still seem hesitant and rather just download. The 2 years of both formats gave consumers pause to think if they really wanted another optical disc, so streaming started to build and get stronger.
  #7  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,134
Default

At the time I supported HD DVD. The sneering of ps3 fanboys turned me off, and I have to wonder if elements like Penton-man and similar such "crusaders" (for either side) didn't make the format war that much worse with the animus... recall that of all the forums, only AVS closed down for a few days because someone IIRC made death threats to someone else...?

I also have to ask... We know disc replication costs were and are higher for blu-ray but didn't (David?) Vaughn mention quite some time ago that encoding for blu-ray was cheaper/easier? Because of the higher bitrate and capacity, it was easier and thus cheaper to do encodes for blu-ray. I don't know if the cheaper encode costs + higher disc production costs balanced against pricier encode costs + cheaper disc production costs.
  #8  
Old 06-09-2012, 08:25 AM
towergrove's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Its not "Toshiba" that's still bitter either, the company makes a lot of money on Blu-ray hardware now and made a business decision.

Everyone I know at Toshiba involved in the format war is happily doing other things. Some have moved on such as Jodi Sally who took a better job at Colby Electronics.

Even reading the article the interviewee has some regrets about a non-unified format not happening but does not personally seem bitter about anything.

For the CE industry the format war kerfluffle was a moment in their careers and hardly had the same emotional involvement that many of the hard core Blu-ray or HD DVD fanboys had at the time. Even most of the participants as consumers and posters have long since moved on even if a few people at some sites seem to be a bit bitter on things or won't let them go.
Ive always liked Jodi, great person and businesswoman.
  #9  
Old 06-09-2012, 08:29 AM
towergrove's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
At the time I supported HD DVD. The sneering of ps3 fanboys turned me off, and I have to wonder if elements like Penton-man and similar such "crusaders" (for either side) didn't make the format war that much worse with the animus... recall that of all the forums, only AVS closed down for a few days because someone IIRC made death threats to someone else...?

I also have to ask... We know disc replication costs were and are higher for blu-ray but didn't (David?) Vaughn mention quite some time ago that encoding for blu-ray was cheaper/easier? Because of the higher bitrate and capacity, it was easier and thus cheaper to do encodes for blu-ray. I don't know if the cheaper encode costs + higher disc production costs balanced against pricier encode costs + cheaper disc production costs.
When I look back it all now looks foolish and a waste of time.
  #10  
Old 06-09-2012, 08:31 AM
towergrove's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroberts View Post
He is full of it. If storage didn't matter why did they try to beat blurays 50GB with their 51GB discs?

In fact, if Toshiba had the foresight of HD optical being short lived, WHY DID THEY EVEN FIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE? bluray was developed first, HD DVD was made in response to bluray. TOshiba should have just let Sony have it from the get go.

nothing this guy said in the article coincides with what toshiba actually did. he comes off as if they were so wise and pre-cognizant, yet they blew $1B and fought to become the next optical format. weird thing to do if you knew it would be shortlived. this is retrospect BS.
I remember reading when DVD first started and the so called experts saying that it was just going to be a "bridge format" and short lived until the High Definition discs were to be released....Really? We know how that turned out.
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Analyst-Netflix 2.6-3.6 M subscriber loss = $160 M Redbox gain, 4.7 M loss = $445 M Kosty High Definition Smackdown 51 12-01-2011 10:16 PM
Panasonic Loss $4B Loss, 14% Sales Drop (article link) HDTV1080P Home Theater Gear 1 05-15-2009 01:09 PM
This one's for Indy: PS3 still selling Hardware at a LOSS in Europe megsemmisítés Gaming Smackdown 13 12-22-2008 08:09 AM
HD DVD costing Toshiba 40 billion yen loss whyser High Definition Smackdown 93 12-18-2007 09:09 AM
Toshiba players sold at a loss? Crypter High Definition Smackdown 44 07-31-2007 01:14 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off