Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
  1. #16
    Kosty's Avatar
    Kosty is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    28,296

    Default

    I'm glad the nonsense discussion here has gone away here as well.
    .
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

    "I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

    follow me on Twitter

  2. #17
    rroberts is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    137

    Default

    4-5 people at HDF love HD DVD. To this day, they fight the good fight.

    die bluray die- die bluray die - die bluray die

    failure failure

    die bluray die- die bluray die - die bluray die

    failure failure

    die bluray die- die bluray die - die bluray die

    failure failure

  3. #18
    towergrove's Avatar
    towergrove is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Hi all I'm back now and plan to put most of posh idea discussion time into HDD after leaving HDF.

    I do still enjoy my few HDDVD discs but have slowly over time rebought them in the BD format. This old girl has just become tired of the round and round circles that some go with in still arguing the HDDVD cause even in 2012 when most have moved on.
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

  4. #19
    towergrove's Avatar
    towergrove is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
    I'm glad the nonsense discussion here has gone away here as well.
    Amen! So glad we have you to keep us up to date with the numbers Kosty.
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

  5. #20
    Kosty's Avatar
    Kosty is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    28,296

    Default

    Glad you are back here and I understand your feelings on those that won't give up the format war.

    But lets move beyond criticism of the sister site there, as I think the mods are fine there and they are certainly entitled to their discussion and point of view in any case.

    I too find the same arguments repetitious and the search for any negative spin a bit much but I appreciate all points of view and enjoy many of the more adult conversations there at well, even when I disagree.

    But its just inappropriate here to carry on as well with the sister site, so I suggest we just move along.
    .
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

    "I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

    follow me on Twitter

  6. #21
    Sbert's Avatar
    Sbert is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,069

    Default

    My youngest brother just got married. He and his wife have a combined income of around 100-150k, they have school debt and came to me asking about advice about getting a BD player. They didn't want to spend 70 dollars to buy one.

    I gave them my old sony 350 bdp.

    It's a sad state of affairs if the economy is bad enough, inflation, gas prices, etc have gotten so bad that a 6 figure income couple with no kids have to really think hard about a 70 dollars BD player purchase.

    I thought the economy was getting better to some degree, but I am in a sheltered profession and it's taken it's hit and appeared to have stabilized, but with Obamacare coming around the corner with the imbedded property tax, I expect things to take another dive soon.
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

  7. #22
    OneManShow's Avatar
    OneManShow is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
    It's a sad state of affairs if the economy is bad enough, inflation, gas prices, etc have gotten so bad that a 6 figure income couple with no kids have to really think hard about a 70 dollars BD player purchase.
    It depends on a lot of things...like the cost of living where they live and other spending habits. My wife and I are six figures combined, have one kid, & live very comfortably. But we paid off student loans, no credit card debt, don't drive luxury cars, put away for savings, bought a house that we knew one of us could afford if the other got laid off, live in Texas which has a rather low cost of living, and generally just don't live beyond our means like so many people do.

  8. #23
    Sbert's Avatar
    Sbert is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
    It depends on a lot of things...like the cost of living where they live and other spending habits. My wife and I are six figures combined, have one kid, & live very comfortably. But we paid off student loans, no credit card debt, don't drive luxury cars, put away for savings, bought a house that we knew one of us could afford if the other got laid off, live in Texas which has a rather low cost of living, and generally just don't live beyond our means like so many people do.
    That's true. They are saving for a child/home and have a budget to keep in mind and they do live in southern california where the cost of living is substantially higher.
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

  9. #24
    OneManShow's Avatar
    OneManShow is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
    That's true. They are saving for a child/home and have a budget to keep in mind and they do live in southern california where the cost of living is substantially higher.
    That's a nice area, but you definitely pay for it. I had a buddy that went to college in San Francisco and his rent was around three times what I paid and that was considered "cheap" for San Fran.

  10. #25
    AV_Integrated's Avatar
    AV_Integrated is offline Forum Member Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC - USA
    Posts
    7,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
    That's a nice area, but you definitely pay for it. I had a buddy that went to college in San Francisco and his rent was around three times what I paid and that was considered "cheap" for San Fran.
    Shoot, I just bought a new home in the Washington DC area and I have friends who live in Indiana... Their PITI is the same as what my real estate taxes are every month.

    I think that some people really have no idea of how much the cost of living varies across the country. A home on one acre in the midwest may cost under $100K while a one acre piece of land in our area or California could cost (well over) $200,000 without even having a home on it!

    Definitely weird though when people who are making a perfectly reasonable amount of money find themselves struggling on such a low level purchase.

    Remember when there was an arguement about how 'expensive' BD players were?
    AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology consultation during the build and installation process in the Washington DC, Northern VA, and MD area.

  11. #26
    Rich86's Avatar
    Rich86 is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area Calif. - USA
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
    Definitely weird though when people who are making a perfectly reasonable amount of money find themselves struggling on such a low level purchase.

    Remember when there was an arguement about how 'expensive' BD players were?
    I expect you will find it is all about priorities and money management. I know quite a few people who scrimp on various things in their life that might cause you to scratch your head, as they motor on down the road in their BMW to their favorite $$$$ restaurant waving their usually max'ed out Amex card in the air . . . if that blu-ray player is way down on their priority list, why would they give up something they value more to buy one?

    and maybe rroberts should post his concerns over on that other forum he/she whines about so much, assuming they haven't banned him/her already.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs

  12. #27
    Lee Stewart's Avatar
    Lee Stewart is offline Formerly "HDTV Addict"
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by towergrove View Post
    Hi all I'm back now and plan to put most of posh idea discussion time into HDD after leaving HDF.

    I do still enjoy my few HDDVD discs but have slowly over time rebought them in the BD format. This old girl has just become tired of the round and round circles that some go with in still arguing the HDDVD cause even in 2012 when most have moved on.
    Except that isn't the reason why you "left HDF" is it? You got insulted when we challenged you to provide additional data to back up a statement you made and you didn't.

    You are in good company here . . .

  13. #28
    towergrove's Avatar
    towergrove is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
    Shoot, I just bought a new home in the Washington DC area and I have friends who live in Indiana... Their PITI is the same as what my real estate taxes are every month.

    I think that some people really have no idea of how much the cost of living varies across the country. A home on one acre in the midwest may cost under $100K while a one acre piece of land in our area or California could cost (well over) $200,000 without even having a home on it!

    Definitely weird though when people who are making a perfectly reasonable amount of money find themselves struggling on such a low level purchase.

    Remember when there was an arguement about how 'expensive' BD players were?
    I personally didn't realize this until the other day when I was doing some research about prices across the US and how they vary. My area in St Louis has some of the lowest cost of living in the nation (which I didnt know as well).
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

  14. #29
    vikingfan's Avatar
    vikingfan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by towergrove View Post
    Hi all I'm back now and plan to put most of posh idea discussion time into HDD after leaving HDF.

    I do still enjoy my few HDDVD discs but have slowly over time rebought them in the BD format. This old girl has just become tired of the round and round circles that some go with in still arguing the HDDVD cause even in 2012 when most have moved on.
    Nice to see you back, always enjoy reading your posts.
    Toshiba 57HM167 PS3 80GB 106 BD's 4 games

  15. #30
    towergrove's Avatar
    towergrove is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vikingfan View Post
    Nice to see you back, always enjoy reading your posts.
    Thanks Vikingfan! I always enjoy yours as well.
    Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1