NPD: 3D HDTV units up +74% 1Q YoY ( 22% of 40"+ sold were 3D HDTV) content not driver - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM

Default NPD: 3D HDTV units up +74% 1Q YoY ( 22% of 40"+ sold were 3D HDTV) content not driver

Quote:
NPD: 3DTV Sales Rise Despite Consumer Indifference

21 May, 2012
By: Erik Gruenwedel

Unit sales of 3DTVs in the first quarter (ended March 31) increased 74% while revenue rose 64% compared with the same period last year, according to new data from The NPD Group.

3DTVs accounted for 11% of all flat-panel TV sales in Q1, nearly double that of last year, and 22% of all 40-plus-inch sets sold were 3D.

While 3DTV sales increase due to wider consumer awareness, just 14% of consumers interested in buying a flat-panel TV in the next six months said 3D was a “must have” feature, according to a survey. Another 68% said 3D was “a nice feature” to have for the future.

Many consumers who try 3D rate it positively with nearly 70% saying they were “impressed” or “amazed” by an in-store 3D demo.

“3D has been a success for the television market from a sales perspective,” said Ben Arnold, director of industry analysis for The NPD Group. “However, few consumers cite watching content in 3D as a reason for purchasing a TV, indicating that other factors such as screen size, resolution and Internet connectivity hold more importance.”

Indeed, wearing 3D glasses, the cost of sets and accessories, and access to content remain barriers to adoption. While 3D sets have become more affordable since entering the market (average prices in April 2012 were 33% lower, compared with April 2010), glasses-free 3DTVs have yet to enter the market, likely deterring the 80% of consumers who consider 3D glasses a drawback to owning the technology.

Content availability as an adoption inhibitor is waning. Among consumers not interested in 3DTV, 14% said content availability is a purchase inhibitor, down from 21% in May 2011.

“In addition to movies and gaming, sports are essential to growing 3DTV ownership,” Arnold said. “Nearly [60%] sports fans are interested in watching games and matches in 3D.”

The summer Olympics in London and the Euro 2012 soccer tournament are considered key drivers of 3DTV this year, according to NPD.

“Our research suggests ownership of 3DTV doesn’t necessarily mean consumers have adopted the technology,” he said. “Getting owners to put on glasses and watch content is the real measure of 3D’s success.”

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3d/...fference-27318
Old 05-22-2012, 01:18 AM

To be honest if 3D tvs didn't go up, considering most include 3D, the electronics business would be dead.

This article proves what most of us already know, 3D is just a fad that will ultimatly fade away again, as it has every 30 years or so...

fitprod
Old 05-22-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
This article proves what most of us already know, 3D is just a fad that will ultimatly fade away again, as it has every 30 years or so...
Nope, this is no fad. Things were worlds different back then in terms of recording and projecting stereoscopic 3D.

Take an hour or two and read up on the history: http://widescreenmovies.org/WSM11/3D.htm
Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
Nope, this is no fad. Things were worlds different back then in terms of recording and projecting stereoscopic 3D.

Take an hour or two and read up on the history: http://widescreenmovies.org/WSM11/3D.htm
Um... Duh. I know the technology has changed, but you know what? Viewers haven't, they're getting bored with the technology, especially since it doesn't enhance poorly produced product. (Amazing what you learn when film is actually your career...)

Sure, they'll be hyped for the next Avatar and whatever major blockbuster has a hook for them... But it will be reserved for event films... (To be honest I don't understand the appeal of a mis-mash of Ferngully and Dances with Wolves, with worse acting, but that's just me.)

I've seen enough 3D at this point, and fortunately being paid to watch it, that it comes down to the actual film, not the process. The process does not enhance a bad film. Unfortunately most of the 3D product is 3D because they have no other way to sell it. Sure Scorcese and Ridley Scott are going to keep doing 3D films the rest of their career. (So that will total about 8 films at best considering their ages...)

The rest of the 3D will be left to a generation of director's that have no idea how to tell a story, outside of editing a films for the viewers with ADD. Be honest, does 3D really enhance the latest epic where you get to watch Kate Beckinsale in skin tight leather? Will it improve a piece of shlock like Piranha 3DD that is essentially going direct to video?

There's only one film on the 3D radar possibly worth seeing, and that's Prometheus. But that's more out of curiosity, and I wont watch it in 3D until after I've seen it in 2D. (If the film isn't good, I won't waste the money on the 3D presentation.)

fitprod
Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Um... Duh. I know the technology has changed, but you know what? Viewers haven't
Quote:
I've seen enough 3D at this point, and fortunately being paid to watch it, that it comes down to the actual film, not the process. The process does not enhance a bad film.
The process needs to be transparent, and it wasn't in the 50's. That's why you can't compare today with 60 years ago. Better technology = less fatigue, fewer headaches. You think that people get eyestrain now? The percentage of people who got sick back then must have been far higher because the precision of the alignment varied throughout the picture. And flexibility of the film rigs back then must have been a huge pain in the butt. Today we have digital cameras, which work great for 3D, and the focus is on compacting those even further. Then there's 3D CG- and not just Pixar and Dreamworks stuff- Avatar and Planet of the Apes have demonstrated that there's a market for more photorealistic CG, good enough that it can be intertwined with live actors. And it's really easy to make impressive 3D when you aren't limited by Earth's physics.

Quote:
Sure, they'll be hyped for the next Avatar and whatever major blockbuster has a hook for them... But it will be reserved for event films...
There are on average for me, 10-15 3D movies each year worth seeing. Plus I game in 3D on PS3 when it's supported, and watch 3D Blu-rays and documentaries as well. And some filmmakers have toyed with the idea of using 3D in drama, like Scorsese, Scott etc, so the possibilities are expanding.

Quote:
Unfortunately most of the 3D product is 3D because they have no other way to sell it. Sure Scorcese and Ridley Scott are going to keep doing 3D films the rest of their career. (So that will total about 8 films at best considering their ages...)

The rest of the 3D will be left to a generation of director's that have no idea how to tell a story, outside of editing a films for the viewers with ADD.
Cameron, Spielberg, Jackson, Del Toro, Burton, Ang Lee, Sam Raimi, Zack Snyder, Alfonso Cuaron, Michael Bay, plus Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, Sony animation, etc. The list is growing. If you ask me, Chris Nolan sounds like he just needs a new franchise outside of Batman, be able to shoot on film and have a good postconversion studio who will take the time to do it right.

Quote:
Be honest, does 3D really enhance the latest epic where you get to watch Kate Beckinsale in skin tight leather? Will it improve a piece of shlock like Piranha 3DD that is essentially going direct to video?
Those kinds of movies are more of a throwback to the 80's 3D fad, and as such are not representative of today's 3D. They're successful, especially the 3D, but they won't help the format evolve.

Quote:
There's only one film on the 3D radar possibly worth seeing, and that's Prometheus. But that's more out of curiosity, and I wont watch it in 3D until after I've seen it in 2D. (If the film isn't good, I won't waste the money on the 3D presentation.)
Oh come on. Pretty much ANY experienced film critic, journalist or die hard movie buff knows that Prometheus is a must-see in 3D. Other films that I see the journos swooning in anticipation over are Life of Pi, The Hobbit, Spiderman, and Great Gatsby. And I'd personally add Disney/Pixar movies like Brave, Finding Nemo and Wreck it Ralph, because I'm a kid inside.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Oh come on. Pretty much ANY experienced film critic, journalist or die hard movie buff knows that Prometheus is a must-see in 3D. Other films that I see the journos swooning in anticipation over are Life of Pi, The Hobbit, Spiderman, and Great Gatsby. And I'd personally add Disney/Pixar movies like Brave, Finding Nemo and Wreck it Ralph, because I'm a kid inside.
I not a journalist... FYI.

Of those films "journos" are swooning over... It's not because of the 3D, it's the film itself. (Aside from the Finding Nemo Re-Issue/Cash Grab/Home Video Re-promotion.) - They're swooning over the next Ang Lee project (Life of Pi); they're anticipating the potential train wreck that The Amazing Spiderman may turn out to be; they looking forward to a continuation of the Lord of the Rings storyline (although the 48fps demo disaster has made many wary about the presentation aspect...). The Great Gatsby? Um... Not so much.

Personally, I'm most curious about Brave... I want to find the theater that going be set up for Dolby's new Atmos system. Combine that with 3D, and your changing the theatrical experience completely.

Of course, that still wont build the general consumer's interest, since they're getting tired of ticket prices, and in the case of 3D, the addition of having to wear glasses.

fitprod
Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I not a journalist... FYI.
I didn't say you were.

Quote:
Of those films "journos" are swooning over... It's not because of the 3D, it's the film itself.

(Aside from the Finding Nemo Re-Issue/Cash Grab/Home Video Re-promotion.) - They're swooning over the next Ang Lee project (Life of Pi); they're anticipating the potential train wreck that The Amazing Spiderman may turn out to be; they looking forward to a continuation of the Lord of the Rings storyline (although the 48fps demo disaster has made many wary about the presentation aspect...).
I'm talking about all the hype specifically for the 3D elements of those particular movies. For so many people in such privileged positions as film critics and enthusiasts to speak so highly of 3D, it says a lot about the appeal.

Quote:
The Great Gatsby? Um... Not so much.
Again, must I correct you?

slashfilm/collider/first showing all liked what they saw, starts at 5:17 in this clip:

http://www.slashfilm.com/cinemacon-r...n/#more-125862

On the topic of consumer reaction in general,

Quote:
In a poll conducted by the organization, 52% of those surveyed had seen at least one 3D movie in the last three years. Asked to describe their experience, 71% said that their 3D experience surpassed watching conventional 2D movies, 31% reporting that their 3D experience was "incredible."
And that's not even taking into account the fact that some people are basing their opinion on mediocre postconversions. But as I said, technology improves, postconversion will be become better and/or be less necessary thanks to it being easier to shoot native, the audience WILL grow to like 3D, just like how those journalists reacted negatively to the news of Great Gatsby but did a 180 when they actually saw the footage.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
To be honest if 3D tvs didn't go up, considering most include 3D, the electronics business would be dead.

fitprod

I don't agree that this demonstrates that 3d "is just a fad". There's still interest in 3D content. I don't put too much into statements like "14% of consumers interested in buying a flat-panel TV in the next six months" because often, purchases of hardware/software can be impulse buys and people's opinions can easily change in a 6 month period.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Again, must I correct you?

slashfilm/collider/first showing all liked what they saw, starts at 5:17 in this clip:

http://www.slashfilm.com/cinemacon-r...n/#more-125862

On the topic of consumer reaction in general,

And that's not even taking into account the fact that some people are basing their opinion on mediocre postconversions. But as I said, technology improves, postconversion will be become better and/or be less necessary thanks to it being easier to shoot native, the audience WILL grow to like 3D, just like how those journalists reacted negatively to the news of Great Gatsby but did a 180 when they actually saw the footage.
No need to correct me... The box office will speak...

Baz Lurhman's track record:
Strictly Ballroom (Still his best work...) - $11.7 Million (Domestic) / International Numbers Not Available
Romeo + Juliet - $46.3 (Domestic) / $101 Million (International)
Moulin Rouge - $57.3 (Domestic) / $121.8 Million (International)
Australia - $49.5 (Domestic) / $161.7 Million (International)

None of those numbers warrant a 3D musical version of The Great Gatsby, or whatever that horrendous preview was just released by Warner Brothers. I hope they didn't invest more than $75 million into the film, it's going to get killed.

fitprod
Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 AM

Here's a pretty typical week for recent Blu-ray sales I've keeping track of that data since Home Media Magazine started publishing those statistics as part of the Nielsen Videoscan first alert weekly update since 02/26/12.

The Blu-ray 3D is a new addition to the Nielsen Videoscan sales tracking this year because of increased sales volumes.

I also included the overall Blu-ray Marketshare chart that's sorted by highest to lowest marketshare for overall Blu-ray titles on the expanded Nielsen Videoscan first alert report 50 titles report for context.

Obviously, now some consumers are starting to buy the 3D versions of new and recently released titles even though they by far are the most expensive priced SKU's at retail.