Best Buy Closing 50 Stores, Laying Off 400 Employees - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Arkadin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12,401
Default Best Buy Closing 50 Stores, Laying Off 400 Employees

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-b...120457157.html
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...cabefd01ce3e7c
gonna hurt bd sales for sure.
BB shifting it's focus to mobile. wow. =*
I'm not some massive BB fan, but I do enjoy having an actual store to go to, and overall I hate to see this happen. It's been terribly sad watching all the types of stores I enjoyed going just slowly disappear over the past 10 years. Pretty soon there really I really won't have anywhere else left to go except the grocery store and maybe the drug store every now and then. I love amazon, but just hate that these "real" stores don't seem to be able to survive anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,346
Default

I love the idiot in the other forum. Everyone! Best Buy is clearly closing stores because Blu-ray is the only thing they sell. LOL.

They don't sell appliances, video games, cell phones, computers, iPods, digital cameras, musical instruments, no... they only sell Blu-ray and this is why they had to close their stores.

I mean you are as bad as the MPH girl.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Kosty's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 28,296
Default

50 larger stores out of 1000. That's 5%. That's leaving 95%.

Most of those will probably be older under performing stores that were duplicate stores in the same urban or suburban markets.



Quote:
The Minneapolis-based consumer electronics retailer said it would shutter 50 big box stores in the current (2013) fiscal year as it plans to cut $800 million in costs through 2015, including $250 million this year. It plans to open 100 smaller footprint Best Buy Mobile stand alone stores during the same period.

Best Buy ended 2011 operating more than 1,000 stores in the United States. It plans to operate 600 to 800 Mobile stores in the coming years, up from 305 stores today.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,134
Default

This is hardly good news but I think equating best buy to circuit city is a bit premature especially with the plans to expand the BB foot print.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Reverend Blu's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,262
Default

Target and Walmart are siphoning customers away from Best Buy.
Its funny how Best Buy with larger size stores took customers away from Circuit City.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Arkadin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12,401
Default

now the CEO has resigned--
http://marketday.msnbc.msn.com/_news...struggles?lite
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Buy Loses Big in 4th Quarter Closing 50 Stores TheDickWard Home Theater Gear 29 10-08-2012 03:01 PM
Best Buy closing stores.... Godstar The Water Cooler 20 04-18-2012 01:24 PM
MyerEmco Closing all its stores (up to 50% off everything) HDTV1080P Home Theater Gear 0 02-12-2010 03:35 PM
Check This Out: Eighty People dress up as Best Buy employees and go inside a Best Buy HamsterDance The Water Cooler 17 10-02-2008 08:11 AM
SCEI(The PlayStation company) is laying off its workers Deadmeat Gaming Smackdown 16 01-08-2008 01:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off