BR Fans At HME Protest, And Demand That Universal Support BR. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-19-2007, 05:47 AM

Default BR Fans At HME Protest, And Demand That Universal Support BR.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6461381.html

At the Home Media Expo, during a Q&A session, some BR fans including Mr. Bill Hunt, adamantly questioned Kevin Collins of Msoft and Ken of Universal as to why Universal would not end the war by becoming neutral. So BR fans even protested!

"JULY 18 | LAS VEGAS—Universal Studios Home Entertainment is adamant about exclusively offering HD DVD titles, despite protests by enthusiasts during the Home Media Expo here that it should work to end the high-definition format war.

Starting with the first season release of Heroes on HD DVD on Aug. 28, all new releases in the format from Universal will contain Web-enabled features. The interactivity is intended to underscore HD DVD advantages over Blu-ray Disc, whose studio backers have not yet starting offering Web-enabled Blu-ray titles. Most available Blu-ray players do not feature Internet connectivity.

With Heroes, consumers who buy the HD DVD will be immersed in the show’s official Web site, but officials declined to share details, which will be publicly announced during an NBC-Universal session at Comic-Con in San Diego, Calif., later this month.

“We are targeting the MySpace generation,” said Ken Graffeo, Universal executive VP of marketing and head of high-definition. “We are developing that same community. With Heroes, producer Tim Kring is very involved in letting HD DVD users exclusively participate in the Heroes community.”

Blu-ray players “don’t have the consistency in their machines to be able to handle this,” Graffeo added.

During a Wednesday session for Home Theater Forum members, Microsoft HD DVD evangelist Kevin Collins gave Home Theater Forum members the first public look at Heroes scenes and showed off some included picture-in-picture interactivity, another feature not yet offered on Blu-ray discs.

During a Q&A session with Collins later in the day, HTF members seemed grateful to hear about the format’s plans. But many still seemed angry over Universal’s HD DVD-only decision.

“I have Blu-ray. When are you going to go Blu-ray?” asked exasperated HTF member Dan Deganis, who recently purchased a Blu-ray-capable PlayStation 3.

Graffeo, Collins and other panelists acknowledged that PS3 owners far outweigh HD DVD player owners. But they argued that Toshiba and Hewlett-Packard are soon releasing a slew of HD DVD drives for notebooks and PCs.

“I don’t watch movies on my computer,” shot back Deganis, which was met with cheers from the audience.

Digital Bits Web site founder Bill Hunt told the panelists about a family friend who bought a Toshiba player quickly after the company reduced prices to $299. The machine was just as quickly returned to the store after the friend’s wife mistakenly bought Blu-ray titles Ice Age and Pirates of the Caribbean, not realizing they were incompatible with the new player.

“The average consumer is just sitting out on the sidelines,” said Hunt, adding that a lot of people are enjoying the advanced quality on upscaling DVD players, not feeling it’s necessary to also buy true high-def players. “How can this ever be a mass market?”

Digital Bits Web site founder Bill Hunt and HTF members also questioned Universal’s and Microsoft’s stance that interactivity gives HD DVD a serious leg up over Blu-ray.

With picture-in-picture, HTF’s Sam Posten bemoaned the complexity, saying “I can’t even explain this stuff to my mom. It makes it harder to get to the actual [film] feature. Who is going to sit through a movie three times to hopefully see a bug in the corner of the screen?”

Hunt chimed in, “And who is to say that a year from now, Blu-ray won’t be able to add these things anyway?”

Graffeo consistently defended Universal’s position, pointing out that outside of the U.S. HD DVD is far more pervasive than Blu-ray. Some Blu-ray studios do not have the international distribution rights to titles, which then are delivered by indie companies to non-U.S. retailers. Many of these indies, including Studio Canal, are choosing to produce in the cheaper-to-replicate HD DVD format.

“In Europe, 80% of the high-def content is HD vs. Blu-ray,” said Graffeo. “We need to look at this business on a global basis.”
Old 07-19-2007, 05:55 AM

“I don’t watch movies on my computer,” shot back Deganis, which was met with cheers from the audience.

lol, so true, so true
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Graffeo consistently defended Universal’s position, pointing out that outside of the U.S. HD DVD is far more pervasive than Blu-ray. Some Blu-ray studios do not have the international distribution rights to titles, which then are delivered by indie companies to non-U.S. retailers. Many of these indies, including Studio Canal, are choosing to produce in the cheaper-to-replicate HD DVD format.

“In Europe, 80% of the high-def content is HD vs. Blu-ray,” said Graffeo. “We need to look at this business on a global basis.”
He's lying about Europe. HD DVD is a distant second here in the UK. Even if HD DVD have sold 80% of HD standalones, that figure comes nowhere near counteracting the PS3 effect.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Blu-ray players “don’t have the consistency in their machines to be able to handle this,” Graffeo added.
Yeah, because Toshiba is the ONLY COMPANY MAKING HD DVD PLAYERS.

Toshiba didn't have to clear the HD DVD spec with any other CEs. The BDA did.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:09 AM

You know, for 18 months people complained about RRoD and even just weeks ago Peter Moore said it was nothing but a vocal minority. Then one day they caved in after all the repeated complaints and retailers getting vocal.

Ken Graffeo may still sound like he's 100% confident in HD DVD but the reality could be that there's just one more straw left to break the cammels back. He even admitted that GE was putting pressure on him to go Blu.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:13 AM

In my region they only stock blu-ray in the big store, but they are crazy expensive.. Some retailers have hd-dvd but thats mostly movie stores, not big electronic store.. There was an artical, it said 90% blu-ray, but its because of mainly ps3..I would love to see some kind of selling stats from play.com.. Do they even sell hd-dvd's there anymore ?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:13 AM

Seems like rather selected quote takeing. Very slanted.

Exact same questions could be asked to blu-ray exclusive studios. If it was really meant to be up to the consumer the only way to settle it would be if there were no exclusive movies at all.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:14 AM

"During a Q&A session with Collins later in the day, HTF members seemed grateful to hear about the format’s plans. But many still seemed angry over Universal’s HD DVD-only decision.

I have Blu-ray. When are you going to go Blu-ray?” asked exasperated HTF member Dan Deganis, who recently purchased a Blu-ray-capable PlayStation 3"

Is this for real or some kind of joke ? People "protesting" Universal decision to stick with HD DVD and "demanding" they become neutral. Good idea let's take over the streets and "demand" the release of our favorite movies in our favorite format: what can be more important than that...

Human race dumbness seems to have no bounds ...
Old 07-19-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:

At the Home Media Expo, during a Q&A session, some BR fans including Mr. Bill Hunt, adamantly questioned Kevin Collins of Msoft and Ken of Universal as to why Universal would not end the war by becoming neutral. So BR fans even protested!

"JULY 18 | LAS VEGAS—Universal Studios Home Entertainment is adamant about exclusively offering HD DVD titles, despite protests by enthusiasts during the Home Media Expo here that it should work to end the high-definition format war.

Starting with the first season release of Heroes on HD DVD on Aug. 28, all new releases in the format from Universal will contain Web-enabled features. The interactivity is intended to underscore HD DVD advantages over Blu-ray Disc, whose studio backers have not yet starting offering Web-enabled Blu-ray titles. Most available Blu-ray players do not feature Internet connectivity.

With Heroes, consumers who buy the HD DVD will be immersed in the show’s official Web site, but officials declined to share details, which will be publicly announced during an NBC-Universal session at Comic-Con in San Diego, Calif., later this month.

“We are targeting the MySpace generation,” said Ken Graffeo, Universal executive VP of marketing and head of high-definition. “We are developing that same community. With Heroes, producer Tim Kring is very involved in letting HD DVD users exclusively participate in the Heroes community.”

During a Wednesday session for Home Theater Forum members, Microsoft HD DVD evangelist Kevin Collins gave Home Theater Forum members the first public look at Heroes scenes and showed off some included picture-in-picture interactivity, another feature not yet offered on Blu-ray discs.

During a Q&A session with Collins later in the day, HTF members seemed grateful to hear about the format’s plans. But many still seemed angry over Universal’s HD DVD-only decision.

“I have Blu-ray. When are you going to go Blu-ray?” asked exasperated HTF member Dan Deganis, who recently purchased a Blu-ray-capable PlayStation 3.

Graffeo, Collins and other panelists acknowledged that PS3 owners far outweigh HD DVD player owners. But they argued that Toshiba and Hewlett-Packard are soon releasing a slew of HD DVD drives for notebooks and PCs.

Digital Bits Web site founder Bill Hunt told the panelists about a family friend who bought a Toshiba player quickly after the company reduced prices to $299. The machine was just as quickly returned to the store after the friend’s wife mistakenly bought Blu-ray titles Ice Age and Pirates of the Caribbean, not realizing they were incompatible with the new player.

“The average consumer is just sitting out on the sidelines,” said Hunt, adding that a lot of people are enjoying the advanced quality on upscaling DVD players, not feeling it’s necessary to also buy true high-def players. “How can this ever be a mass market?”

Digital Bits Web site founder Bill Hunt and HTF members also questioned Universal’s and Microsoft’s stance that interactivity gives HD DVD a serious leg up over Blu-ray.

With picture-in-picture, HTF’s Sam Posten bemoaned the complexity, saying “I can’t even explain this stuff to my mom. It makes it harder to get to the actual [film] feature. Who is going to sit through a movie three times to hopefully see a bug in the corner of the screen?”

Hunt chimed in, “And who is to say that a year from now, Blu-ray won’t be able to add these things anyway?”

Very informative reading. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:32 AM

My favorite part: Digital Bits Web site founder Bill Hunt told the panelists about a family friend who bought a Toshiba player quickly after the company reduced prices to $299. The machine was just as quickly returned to the store after the friend’s wife mistakenly bought Blu-ray titles Ice Age and Pirates of the Caribbean, not realizing they were incompatible with the new player.

Awesome, so what they just proved is that typical *average* consumers buy based on price. HD DVD offered the affordable player with outstanding capabilities, in this case it was DISNEY that poo pooed the customer by being format exclusive to the $500+ club.

Overall, a great read. Its good to hear about a bunch of snobs with $500-1000 blu-ray players "protesting" Universal. My gosh, it sure would be great if I had nothing better to do than hound studio heads about how abused I feel because they don't release films on my format. boohoo.

Hey, did the article mention if the same group of people protested Fox studios for films as well?