I keep reading about company's closing LCD plants. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Default I keep reading about company's closing LCD plants.

That they are not selling well. What is selling right now. What is taking its place?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesha View Post
That they are not selling well. What is selling right now. What is taking its place?

What I think is going on is the plants that are open are getting bigger and more volume comming out of the main ones. Keeps costs down too. Keep the HUGE plants running 24/7.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Samsung made a bunch of money last year is my understanding, but companies like Sony which can't get their costs under control tend to lose money on their TV department. Hopefully companies like Sharp are also making a good deal of money as they continue to innovate and push out the 70" and 80" displays to the market. It would be great to see an even larger display from Sharp come to market in the next year or so at their typically phenomenal pricing. A 90 or 100 inch display for under $10,000 would really be something. Of course, at about $4K for their 80" model, it's already a bit much for most people.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Samsung made a bunch of money last year is my understanding, but companies like Sony which can't get their costs under control tend to lose money on their TV department. Hopefully companies like Sharp are also making a good deal of money as they continue to innovate and push out the 70" and 80" displays to the market. It would be great to see an even larger display from Sharp come to market in the next year or so at their typically phenomenal pricing. A 90 or 100 inch display for under $10,000 would really be something. Of course, at about $4K for their 80" model, it's already a bit much for most people.
Sharp struggles with TV competition, Q3 2011 results reveal 86 percent drop in profit

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/01/s...s-reveal-86-p/

Sharp to cut LCD production in Osaka plant by half

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/01/s...plant-by-half/
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Samsung's HDTV and overall marketshare gains were the talk in Las Vegas this year at their huge booth and display area at CES 2012 along with their items on display. Samsung was clearly a presence and looked healthy in all aspects of its business. Some talk was how they leveraged Walmart and Best Buy to take marketshare away from Sony and Sharp. Samsung seemed to bet right on its product mix and consumer and retailer incentives.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 PM

What the hell is going on in the TV marketplace. Does everyone have a HD tv already?
Is that the cause of the slump?

I have two, a Panny Plasma, and a Sharp LCD. I love them both, and I am happy.

Is the HD tv market about to crash?????
Old 02-02-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
That would imply it was booming at one point. I don't think anyone can honestly say it was...
Old 02-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
What the hell is going on in the TV marketplace. Does everyone have a HD tv already?
Is that the cause of the slump?

I have two, a Panny Plasma, and a Sharp LCD. I love them both, and I am happy.

The economy in the USA isn't helping HDTV sales. Then you have the issue of the saturation of the HDTV install base. Adoption of any mass market CE product is a "bell curve" and currently we are on the down slope not that far from the bottom.