Interesting to compare with video...NPD: 2011 Video Game Spending Declines 9% - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 AM

Default Interesting to compare with video...NPD: 2011 Video Game Spending Declines 9%

Looks like people were not spending as much on video games this 4th qtr much like the pattern with home video.
Quote:
An underperforming December month in sales of new video games and consoles contributed to an estimated 9% drop to $17.02 billion in overall 2011 consumer spending, according to new data from The NPD Group.
The numbers for gaming also include hardware which home video does not.
Quote:
The tally, which includes new hardware, physical video and PC games, digital full-game downloads, social network games, downloadable content, mobile games, and accessories, reached nearly $18.6 billion in 2010.
Interesting to compare home video to gaming. Looks like home video came out on top for the year ever so slightly...
Quote:
By comparison, consumer home entertainment spending on physical and digital movies topped $18 billion in 2011, according to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/vid...clines-9-26131

Last edited by towergrove; 01-14-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:03 AM

We're 6 years into the current generation of hardware. The Wii fell off a cliff in sales this year and the PS3 has not made up for it. 360 + Kinect sold well, but again, not to offset the drop off of the Wii. 3DS had a disastrous launch and Sony has done little to nothing exciting with the Move. Really, this is about what anyone should have expected from a hardware stand point.

Also note that Black Friday had some killer deals, which likely soaked up some units that would have otherwise been December purchases. I would assume comparing Q4 as a whole Y-O-Y would show a smaller decline. Software still rocked though. MW3, Skyrim and Just Dance 3 killed it.

Not sure why this would ever be compared to Home Video though. They are wildly different markets.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
We're 6 years into the current generation of hardware. The Wii fell off a cliff in sales this year and the PS3 has not made up for it. 360 + Kinect sold well, but again, not to offset the drop off of the Wii. 3DS had a disastrous launch and Sony has done little to nothing exciting with the Move. Really, this is about what anyone should have expected from a hardware stand point.

Also note that Black Friday had some killer deals, which likely soaked up some units that would have otherwise been December purchases. I would assume comparing Q4 as a whole Y-O-Y would show a smaller decline. Software still rocked though. MW3, Skyrim and Just Dance 3 killed it.

Not sure why this would ever be compared to Home Video though. They are wildly different markets.
Are they widely different? I play my PS3 games and my movies on my PS3. Lots of cross over. Many on here often say that many people are spending their money on gaming more now and less on movies and blu rays. They are often compared. I see this as a valid discussion.

These nunber are kind of interesting as they also include accessories like gaming gloves and DS covers. I wonder what the real numbers are.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Personally, I think that the economy is still not fully recovered. That a lot of people held off personal purchases that they normally would have made for themselves until Q4. Since I now firmly believe there is a near capitated amount that the US consumers can spend on things, these products that they purchased in Q4 that normally would have bought earlier in the year ate into other sales.

Now these products that were on hold that they would have bought for _THEMSELVES_ were unlikely to be movies or video games as opposed to small appliances, etc.

I think it's funny as heck that people were using black friday as a defacto standard to determine strength of sales. (sad but apparently attempted)
Old 01-14-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
Personally, I think that the economy is still not fully recovered.
You sir win today's understatement award.