HD DVD Has Better Quality Than Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-25-2006, 09:15 PM

Default HD DVD Has Better Quality Than Blu-ray

HD-DVD has better quality video, better audio, and better interactivity. Part of this comes from the Blu-ray camp's choice to use MPEG2 as its format of choice. Each of the formats has three required video codecs: VC1 (standardized Windows Media Video 9), H.264 (also known as MPEG4 AVC), and MPEG2. H.264 appears to be too complex for anything to decode well at this time and neither are using it. The HD DVD camp is going with VC1 and the Blu-ray camp with MPEG2. VC1 is a much better codec than MPEG2. It was invented many years after the aging MPEG2 standard. It can store the same data in roughly half of the space. This means that HD DVD can store a better picture in less space. Also, despite the promises that Blu-ray would be the higher-capacity format, it presently is not. Blu-ray is shipping 25-GB single layer discs whereas HD DVD movies are shipping on double-layer 30-GB discs. Between the codec and the capacity, HD DVD has space for content that is twice as good or twice as much content that is equal.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:37 PM

Merry Christmas...lay off the alcoholic egg nog. The majority of what you've said here is completely false. Look at other threads before you spew chunks of false information, pun intended.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:42 PM

Hmmm....then please correct me, so I can counter. Otherwise, you have nothing backing up your generic statement. Thank you.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:45 PM

lmao! I like marzetta7's reponse

"MOST OF WHAT YOU SAID IS FALSE YOU FALSE INFORMATION PERSON"

lol
Old 12-25-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post
The majority of what you've said here is completely false.

What majority would that be? You can pretty much find what he said in a High Def Digest article somewhere... It was all true except for the fact that some studios are now incorporating VC1 into some of the latest Blu-ray releases. Also, we are now starting to see some 50 GB releases starting with Click, all the previous releases were only on 25 GB discs.

Maybe it is you who is the one that is mis-informed.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:59 PM

MPEG 2 has been the standard of coice for Blu-ray up to this point. FACT. All Blu -ray titles have been single layer until very, very recently (and production has been low). FACT. The truth shall set you free.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:11 AM

James - you are acting like a typical HD DVD fanboi to the most extreme. Your information is dead wrong.

MPEG2 titles have been put out that have been stunning, including Tears of the Sun and others. But, in the end, the studios decide which codecs they wish to use and we have seen titles in VC-1, AVC, and MPEG2 all of which have been used with a level of quality that, after a rocky start, has been on par with HD DVD. This is fact, and is supported by almost all recent reviews on all the major websites including this one.

So, point one, you are wrong.

More accurately - as a direct response: "This means that HD DVD can store a better picture in less space." HD DVD can't store a better picture in less space if the studios use the same codecs. Many studios, including Warner, and Disney are using advanced codecs and therefore are storing the same material in the same amount of space.

While Blu-ray with MPEG2 may use more space, they actually have the ability to do this and fully utilize MPEG2s proven quality to generate very high quality video - which has been proven. Newer does not, by default, mean better. But, it is now known as fact that both codecs have the ability to deliver.

Finally: "despite the promises that Blu-ray would be the higher-capacity format, it presently is not"

Again - pure FUD and dead wrong. You are a liar. Period. Blu-ray is shipping many 50GB discs right now. I believe 17 which is about 20% of their library or so and more than 20% of their library is using advanced codecs and can fit onto a single layer 25GB disc without issue. Really, do you know anything about these formats at all?

You mentioned audio... but then had nothing beyond that to back it up... Why is that? Oh yeah - because on EVERY major website that is reviewing both formats Blu-ray has been consistently outperforming HD DVD on audio quality across the board. Uncompressed PCM audio - yep, it sounds better, on average, than what HD DVD has been delivering.

When with the HD DVD fanbois stop with the lies?
Old 12-26-2006, 01:58 AM

A disc is only as good as what is put on it. Why would I buy blu-ray when I can get a better experience with HD DVD?
Old 12-26-2006, 02:07 AM

uhh... i think hd-ded just said the kick ass audio tracks LPCM and DTS-HD both uncompressed compared to the dd+ and a rare dd-hd, and let me say i have both players, im 50/50 not supporting either camp, but i prefer to watch my movies on blu-ray, until you have seen both formats in action i would say you should keep your mouth shut
Old 12-26-2006, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
A disc is only as good as what is put on it. Why would I buy blu-ray when I can get a better experience with HD DVD?
Yup... It's what you put on the discs.... and I don't think Fox/Sony/Disney-BV/Lions Gate/MGM will be putting anything out on HD-DVD ehh...