New Nielsen data: Report: Consumer Media Usage Across TV, Online, Mobile and Social - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2012, 11:34 PM

Default New Nielsen data: Report: Consumer Media Usage Across TV, Online, Mobile and Social

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...le-and-social/

Interesting bits of data out there. What struck me is that while we all know that most homes own a TV, most households have multiple tv sets- only 17.7 (million) have 1, 32.7 have 2, 28.3 have 3 and 35.9m households have 4 or more. That's almost 1 in 3 households.

The charts would be more meaningful if it measured households, not persons for the different devices.

Here's the charts:

Old 01-07-2012, 11:36 PM

The report link is here:

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/mediauniverse/

Browsing it now. Looks like there IS more useful information in it
Old 01-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

TVs or not TVs: Sets declining

Quote:
For the first time in 40 years of Nielsen Media Research surveying, the number of households with TV sets has dropped.

Nielsen’s recently released annual “Television Audience” report reveals that the number of households with TVs is likely to fall from this year’s 115.9 million homes to an estimated 114.7 million homes next year.

That represents just over a 1 percent year-to-year drop, despite the fact that the number of US households in general has continued to grow
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...YyIrCuTAjSWlJN
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Any idea what constitutes a TV? I'm guessing that PC monitors do not, and it seems like with a world moving towards online content and plenty of TV, movies, and more available for viewing directly through most PCs it wouldn't make sense to put a TV in many secondary rooms. Especially kids rooms where they uses to be extremely popular. I mean, I could get my kid a TV.... Or, I could put in a decent 24" monitor hooked up to his PC. Many of them support HDMI or even multiple HDMI inputs these days, so you can really get the full functionality of a TV but it wouldn't be counted in the results as a TV I expect.

Likewise wondering if front projection is a part of these stats as we see more and more front projectors entry the market at reasonable pricing.

Just wondering is all, and I'm certainly doing my part with five TVs up and running in our four member house.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Any idea what constitutes a TV? I'm guessing that PC monitors do not, and it seems like with a world moving towards online content and plenty of TV, movies, and more available for viewing directly through most PCs it wouldn't make sense to put a TV in many secondary rooms. Especially kids rooms where they uses to be extremely popular. I mean, I could get my kid a TV.... Or, I could put in a decent 24" monitor hooked up to his PC. Many of them support HDMI or even multiple HDMI inputs these days, so you can really get the full functionality of a TV but it wouldn't be counted in the results as a TV I expect.

Likewise wondering if front projection is a part of these stats as we see more and more front projectors entry the market at reasonable pricing.

Just wondering is all, and I'm certainly doing my part with five TVs up and running in our four member house.
I agree. It's what I've done in both my office and my sons room. He's got a 24" tv with PC. Xbox, and Uverse hooked up. My office has a 32" tv with a PC with built in HDDVD/Bluray drive. And Uverse. Got you beat with TVs man! 4 of us as well. 6 TVs. About to be 7 because I'll be hanging a 32" my garage soon as I redo it. I've been inspired by some garages I've seen lately.

I really don't pay attention enough to some of these details. But the charts showing number of households with TVs or DVD players? They have it broken down to homes with 1 player, 2 players ect. I think this data throws a wrench into the whole Bluray penetration debate. I do not think it is in as many hes as we are lead to believe. I also wonder why Neilson didn't track Bluray players?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

If you go to the last page - the page with the notes, you will see that when they calculated watching TV from the internet, they included home and work.