Warner Brothers Will Make Netflix, Redbox, Blockbuster Wait Longer for New Movies - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Angry Warner Brothers Will Make Netflix, Redbox, Blockbuster Wait Longer for New Movies

Warner Brothers Will Make Netflix, Redbox, Blockbuster Wait Longer for New Movies

Quote:
Want to watch a new movie just out on DVD from Warner Brothers? You’re going to have to buy it, or wait even longer to get it from Netflix or other disc renters.

A new deal between Time Warner’s movie studio and Netflix, Redbox and Blockbuster will double the “window” for new releases. That means the services will now have to wait 56 days after the discs first go on sale to offer them to their customers, instead of 28 days.
http://allthingsd.com/20120105/warne...or-new-movies/
Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Warner Brothers Will Make Netflix, Redbox, Blockbuster Wait Longer for New Movies

http://allthingsd.com/20120105/warne...or-new-movies/
Wow! They are playing hardball! Well it will be interesting to see how it works out for them. I dont think they are going to get the results they want. They will push people even further away from them. Possibly spur more piracy.

Funny in that story there is a link to Flagging DVD sales.
http://allthingsd.com/20111011/heres...thing-to-work/

Quote:
Hollywood is rolling out UltraViolet, its homegrown cloud/locker scheme that may or may not compete with the ones Apple and Amazon are rolling out. But the studios very much need one of these things to work — and by “work” I mean “convince people to spend more money on movies and TV shows they watch at home.”

Because right now, things don’t look good at all. BTIG’s Rich Greenfield (registration required) lays it out in this grim chart: In the first half of the year, U.S. spending on home entertainment dropped 5.1 percent.

And it’s not because people don’t like to watch TV shows and movies at home: Spending on rentals, primarily via Netflix and Redbox, is up 10.9 percent. But that’s not enough to counter a 17.2 percent drop in movie and TV show purchases. Note that digital sales, primarily via Apple’s iTunes, barely make a dent.
This guy also agrees with us that Bluray is not "working". Oh my! What could he possibly mean by that? Is this another guy that knows there were expectations?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

56 days is a long embargo. Will Universal and Fox join WB? Or will they leave WB twisting in the wind all by their lonesome.

Definitely an anti-consumer move and one I predict will not do them well. Once this makes it over to Facebook and Twitter, WB will be cast as the Villian of 2012. And 2012 is only 5 days old.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 PM

I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. :doh2:

I agree. Dumb move that may backfire on them.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Wow! They are playing hardball! Well it will be interesting to see how it works out for them. I dont think they are going to get the results they want. They will push people even further away from them. Possibly spur more piracy.

Funny in that story there is a link to Flagging DVD sales.
http://allthingsd.com/20111011/heres...thing-to-work/

This guy also agrees with us that Bluray is not "working". Oh my! What could he possibly mean by that? Is this another guy that knows there were expectations?
Actually he understands what you don't. It is not just disc sales that are hurting. It is the entire industry.

From the article:
"Note that digital sales, primarily via Apple’s iTunes, barely make a dent."

So much for all these tablets and phones helping. They are just pushing people to more streaming.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Is that the whole article, or are you seeing 'blu ray' somewhere else?

What he says needs to 'work', is one of the digital options....even though that somehow contrasts with his last line that digital barely makes enough to even mention. First, he says digital needs to work, then he says digital isn't working.

Oh well, we all agree that buying movies has taken a huge hit, and no single 'box' that delivers the movie to the consumer is going to save anything. Studios will indeed be selling their wares in many different 'boxes' from now on.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
56 days is a long embargo. Will Universal and Fox join WB? Or will they leave WB twisting in the wind all by their lonesome.

Definitely an anti-consumer move and one I predict will not do them well. Once this makes it over to Facebook and Twitter, WB will be cast as the Villian of 2012. And 2012 is only 5 days old.
I agree, consumers will not be happy. And I honestly don't think it will help their cause. And I bet this means Redbox, Netflix, and Blockbuster get to buy their movies a lot cheaper too.

Personally, this will not change my habits. There are just too many other movies and TV shows to watch along with sports. So I will wait and only buy the select titles I want at the price I am willing to pay.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 PM

So, Warner believes loads of rental customers who pay $1.00 to $1.50 per night are suddenly going to plunk down $20 to $25 to purchase a mediocre title rather than wait a couple of months to rent it? Keep dreaming.
I expect my habits are more likely common - if it is a title I want to won, I'll buy it when and if the price is at an acceptable level. If it is not a title I've decided I want to buy, I MAY rent it when it becomes available. Titles on the fence might still get purchased when and if the price becomes too low to ignore.
I will also admit that I have plenty to watch in my possession already and can surely wait for most any title.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Banned

I've rented "Friends with Benefits" from my local blockbuster and I could tell it was a retail copy because it had the same case that was sold at retail, I had to go to the counter and they had to fetch the disc from a drawer and put it in the box.

I guess with the way Blu-ray works these days, it was profitable to pay $20 or less for a movie and get both a Blu-ray and a DVD that they could rent separately at the same time. Quite clever, really.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Actually he understands what you don't. It is not just disc sales that are hurting. It is the entire industry.

From the article:
"Note that digital sales, primarily via Apple’s iTunes, barely make a dent."

So much for all these tablets and phones helping. They are just pushing people to more streaming.
There you go again. Are you telling me that you have not read once where I said digital is sucking too? How many times do I have to correct you? Or are you just trying to bait me?