What Ultrabooks Could Do To The Tablet Craze - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Default What Ultrabooks Could Do To The Tablet Craze

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelh...-tablet-craze/

Quote:
... I have learned something very important about the will-be hot item at CES this year: Ultrabooks. They might make some people rethink tablets.
Color me a little skeptical, especially as Ultrabooks are a bit pricier than tablets, but it does serve as a reminder to people that sometimes what we percieve as being generational shifts in behavior can simply be fads. Just ask Netflix.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 PM

Isn't an Air about double the price of an iPad? Never looked at owning one. Maybe I'm wrong. I think thats too much of a difference to pick it over a tablet. Got my wife the Vizio Tablet for Christmas. She loves it. and it was under 200 bucks. Plus it came with this cover.

That solves the issue of using it as a stand in bed on your lap. We highly recommend it. Best bang for your buck. And It was sold out everywhere weeks before Christmas. Smart shoppers got it.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Banned

Market for $1000+ laptops is small, the only ones that can reliably sell well seem to be made by Apple. Better to get a $500-$600 "bulky" laptop and a $250 tablet.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 PM

Boy....am I old fashioned. I use a 6 year old cell phone that can only make phone calls; a 5 year old laptop that still works just fine and a TV in the bedroom. :sick01:
Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
Boy....am I old fashioned. I use a 6 year old cell phone that can only make phone calls; a 5 year old laptop that still works just fine and a TV in the bedroom. :sick01:
Haha well my wife wanted it as a book reader mostly. But she also wanted to put some movies on it when we are on the road in the RV and for surfing the web. It's a pretty sweet tablet for the price. I just think the iPad is overpriced personally. I just couldn't get myself to spend the money on it. My wife is even more thrifty than I am. I'm lucky. We researched and she said that's the one she wants.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, we all know that because you constantly harp about recording television shows like its 1988.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
Yes, we all know that because you constantly harp about recording television shows like its 1988.
You could record HD movies and collect them on HDDs in 1988? Wait where are you from again?!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
LOL - I too have a cellphone that I can only use to make and receive calls with. A two year old standup PC with my old 20" LCD monitor and no television in my bedroom. If I want to watch TV, I go out to the living room where my Panasonic 58" VT25 resides. And no - I do not watch any TV on my PC.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 PM

He goes on and on and on about recording shit from tv like he just found out about the vcr; like recording shit is some new holy grail.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 PM

Honestly, I prefer my iPad over anything else. I'm a teacher and for education having access to the many different apps for children as well as teachers has helped me greatly. As for media it's got hulu, netflix, vudu and iTunes so it has all the bases covered.

I was tempted to get a Kindle Fire, but many of the apps that I use either aren't available or the polish isn't there.

As for ultrabooks, I don't see why you can't use a tablet and an ultrabook together. I use my macbook air and am able to control it with my iPad when doing classroom presentations. It's light and very powerful and highly mobile.