So does anyone still think digital downloads will replace hard media anytime soon? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 PM

Default So does anyone still think digital downloads will replace hard media anytime soon?

This is just to vent really, but the more I stream online from Netflix or Vudu, the less worried I become about this possiblity. I have really good internet, 25mbps from Charter cable, the fastest available in my area from any provider. Yet I can't watch Netflix without the image going sporadically soft and pixely at random times, even though I do speed tests which are 100% consistently fast. I even have my devices hardwired, since the wifi is completely unreliable. Same with Vudu and other services.

Then they claim I'm not connected to the internet at all, forcing me to restart my router, even though the internet is working fine on my phone and computer. I only watch streaming stuff for myself, I would never try it with people over, way too embarasing. I can barely get through and episode of anything on Netflix without one or all the above happening. And Amazon Prime streaming? Forget it! I used my credit to try a couple movies on it, and from an HD movie, it claimed my internet was too slow for anything better than sub DVD quality, disgusting!

Anywho, your thoughts?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM

I think it will for rentals, but not for purchases. Hard media will still be the choice of collectors, audiophiles and videophiles, but we're fewer and farther between. A lot of people out there really don't care about the quality. I even have a friend who just got the Sharp 70" beast of a TV, but he still has the Automotion on, the colours are on torch mode and he's running an SD feed to it! What's worse is that I pointed all this out to him and he said "Huh. Didn't notice." And then he didn't change a thing. I doubt streaming/DL will EVER have the same sale point as Blu or DVD, but it will take a long time before it even gets close to that.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM

I don't understand all the problems people are having with thier Netflix. I have 12mbps Uverse and my HD Netflix streams are great. No buffering and looks awesome. Not Bluray awesome but very very good. Like right now I'm half way through season 2 of Breaking Bad. Great series. Not as good as Dexter but very good. Mr. White yo! if you haven't seen it give it a watch! Anyway I never have a problem with my Netflix. Get away from cable man. Maybe that node is getting overloaded? We are power gamers and streamers in my house with zero problems. I've had people over watching HD Netflix comment how great it looks. Something is wrong but I doubt it's Netflix.

No I don't thing digital is going to take over physical anytime soon. If you are talking financially. but there is a lot of digital floating around that is free. If we are talking content? That may already be happening.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM

The quality thing with Netflix is semi-random for me. During the day it plays fine without a hitch, but at night it can sometimes bog down and have issues buffering the best quality, but not always. Maybe one out of 7 times I have an issue. And I never have issues with the internet, just Netflix. I suspect it's just down to how overloaded their servers are?

Anyway, I don't see streaming replacing physical for ownership anytime in the next ten years. I think it's foothold in catalog and TV is solid, and it's growing in the newer releases space, but not quickly. Basically the more value there is in a piece of content, the more people will want BD or DVD. The less value there is, the more acceptable streaming that content becomes. I think the studios will work over the next 3 years to make streaming rights more expensive, which means that whole situation will get worse before it gets better.

Plissken & Mal: you guys mind posting your locations? Really curious if Plissken is in a higher traffic area.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Anytime soon? Nah, not at all. At this point, I'm even wondering if digital will completely replace anything..at all. I see a permanent co-existence between the two.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
The quality thing with Netflix is semi-random for me. During the day it plays fine without a hitch, but at night it can sometimes bog down and have issues buffering the best quality, but not always. Maybe one out of 7 times I have an issue. And I never have issues with the internet, just Netflix. I suspect it's just down to how overloaded their servers are?

Anyway, I don't see streaming replacing physical for ownership anytime in the next ten years. I think it's foothold in catalog and TV is solid, and it's growing in the newer releases space, but not quickly. Basically the more value there is in a piece of content, the more people will want BD or DVD. The less value there is, the more acceptable streaming that content becomes. I think the studios will work over the next 3 years to make streaming rights more expensive, which means that whole situation will get worse before it gets better.

Plissken & Mal: you guys mind posting your locations? Really curious if Plissken is in a higher traffic area.
I'm in the high desert 1 hr north of Los Angeles. If you are having issues at night it could be a network congestion issues. At what level is what you need to find out. If you are on cable you share bandwidth with up to 1500 people on a node. So there will be less bandwidth to go around when everyone comes home from work. You can have a similar issue with dsl. But that bottleneck is beyond the plant.

Do a speedtest during the day. Then do it when you are having problems. Make sure you stop streaming when you run the test. www.speedtest.net is what i like to use. If you are slower at night you figured out your problem. Lots of people are unaware they have an Internet problem until they start streaming because surfing the web isn't really taxing their Internet enough to notice the underlying problem.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:53 PM

I'm in North Richland Hills TX, which is sandwiched right in between Dallas and Ft. Worth, so yeah there's a LOT people online where I am.

Even slowdown I can understand(to a degree), but why it has to make believe that I'm offline entirely...?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:57 PM

I'm about 25 miles out of Atlanta with Comcast cable internet and the only time I have Netflix issues is if I'm using up a lot of bandwidth with other computers/TVs. Rented an "HD" (720p) movie on Vudu recently and the whole thing played through without a hiccup. Actually was really impressed with the Vudu quality.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:09 PM

I don't think it will happen any time soon. There are still far too many different suppliers with vastly differing selections, and there are still those out there with internet connections slower than 5mbps. In Denmark, the selection is usually crap and vastly overpriced. No service comes anywhere near Netflix, and even Netflix has some MAJOR holes all over their movie and series library.

Of course, it will happen at some point, whether we like it or not. I think most people agree that Blu-ray will be the last physical media, and that streaming is the future. Hopefully Blu-ray will survive for a long time. There's no need for a better format for home use anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
This is just to vent really, but the more I stream online from Netflix or Vudu, the less worried I become about this possiblity. I have really good internet, 25mbps from Charter cable, the fastest available in my area from any provider. Yet I can't watch Netflix without the image going sporadically soft and pixely at random times, even though I do speed tests which are 100% consistently fast.
I don't understand this. My connection is 20/2 and, as you can see, I'm pretty far from any Netflix server. Sure, once in a while the connection has gone 'soft' on me, but I usually get really good looking HD within a minute of the stream starting.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

So does anyone still think digital downloads will replace hard media anytime soon?

Not really. Consumers are too inbred to purchase movies on physical media. The studios are going to find that out shortly, to their dismay.