Top 10 Ways Hollywood Can Win Its Audience Back - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 PM

Default Top 10 Ways Hollywood Can Win Its Audience Back

Saw this article on brietbart.com ... it's a political site and some of the top 10 reasons delve into politics, so I'd rather avoid chatting about those ideas of Mr. Noltes. However, he has some non political points to raise that are telling. Namely:

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jj...audience-back/

Quote:
5. Stop Marketing Exclusively to Teens
“The Help” made nearly $170M because it was an outstanding film, and it made a ton of profit because the draw was the story not some overpriced star surrounded by $150 million in special effects. “The King’s Speech” made $140 million for the exact same reasons.

6. Go Back To Storytelling Basics, Crack the Code of the Classics

(snipped)

8. Learn How to Market Fresh Ideas
“Hugo” and “The Adventures of Tintin” going down in box office flames is inexcusable. Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg are two of the most important and respected directors in the history of the motion picture, and yet I have to read that both of these Christmas entries bombed because “nobody knew how to market them.”
Even more troubling is the collective shrug over this reality. I haven’t heard one person in the sycophantic entertainment media or the industry itself show a shred of concern over the fact that Hollywood was unable to market two films by two of our greatest directors because they weren’t handed pre-sold brands.
I thought this last point was eye opening. I saw Tin Tin this weekend, and enjoyed it. There was a scene that was a little Michael Bay-esque, but then it is a cartoon .

Oh and Nolte had this other point to make:

Quote:
9. Stop Making Excuses for a Failing Home Video Market
Both the collapse of the home video market and the 25% decrease in what’s known as “the multiple” proves that you can only fool fewer and fewer people all of the time.
Again, the sycophantic entertainment media is doing you no favors in perpetuating the myth that piracy, Netflix, and Redbox are to blame. No one’s saying those things don’t contribute to the problem, but your main problem is that too many movies today just aren’t very good.
The multiple is down for the same reason home video sales are down: no one wants to see a bad movie more than once.
Nolte's article also references this LA Times article:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...tory?track=rss

Quote:
When the big-budget superhero movie "Green Lantern" opened in June to $53 million, executives at Warner Bros. were optimistic that, despite negative fanboy buzz, they had a hit on their hands.

Instead, bad word of mouth led the movie to rapidly fizzle to a total domestic box-office take of $116 million, barely more than double its opening weekend ticket sales.

That phenomenon — a solid start followed by a quick drop-off — has been the primary driver of a decade-long decline in movie theater attendance that continued in 2011. The box-office figure known in the industry as the "multiple" — the final box-office take compared to a movie's opening weekend ticket sales — has dropped 25% since 2002.

That figure provides perhaps a clearer answer to Hollywood's recent domestic box-office blues than the reasons suggested by studio executives, who blame poorly maintained theaters, new digital diversions like video games and Facebook, and films that simply aren't good enough.

In fact, average opening weekend ticket sales have stayed fairly constant over the last decade, when adjusted for inflation. Avid moviegoers excited to see a new picture as soon as possible (think "Twihards" or "Harry Potter" fanatics) still flock to theaters as eagerly as ever in the first few days of release.

It's the more casual audiences, the type of people who read reviews and wait to hear what their friends say, that are becoming increasingly difficult to lure to the multiplex.

"The primary culprit for declining box office is that people who are unsure at first if they want to see a movie are now more likely to wait to see it on DVD or video on demand," said Vincent Bruzzeze, motion picture group president for research firm Ipsos MediaCT. "There's no reason to believe that the problem is movie quality or distraction from other activities like video games."
Of course, that last statement undermines Nolte's remarks, and appears to be inconsistent with "conventional wisdom.

There's more at the link... I think I've posted enough to chew on here.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Watcher of stances

for me personally, i can't stand the crowds and masses of inconsiderate people.
it seems like every time i go leaves me annoyed for a various reason so i'd rather wait ~4-6 months and see it in peace for most films. theaters just can't pack a room filled with people and not have trouble like they once did.

first matinee on sunday a couple weeks after premiere seems to be the best opportunity for me, but it doesn't always fit my schedule.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:56 PM

I hate going to the movie theaters. That is why I built my own inside my house. I can fart and do what and when I want. LOL.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM

You are right. Sunday mats are when we go. We never go at night. Too many idiots thinking that acting like an idiot means you are cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
for me personally, i can't stand the crowds and masses of inconsiderate people.
it seems like every time i go leaves me annoyed for a various reason so i'd rather wait ~4-6 months and see it in peace for most films. theaters just can't pack a room filled with people and not have trouble like they once did.

first matinee on sunday a couple weeks after premiere seems to be the best opportunity for me, but it doesn't always fit my schedule.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
I hate going to the movie theaters. That is why I built my own inside my house. I can fart and do what and when I want. LOL.
Farting works great when the stranger next to you is texting or acting a fool.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

We always go during the week - 5PM show - never any issues with audiences. LOL - there aren't many for that showing.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM

Generally I try to hit matinees, but I also tend to wait until a month later before seeing the movies. I saw Toy Story 3 in August and the theater was empty.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Two Analysts Project Slight 2012 Box-Office Growth Driven by Higher Prices

Quote:
With 2011 in the books, Barclays Capital analyst Anthony DiClemente predicted a 1.5 percent increase in the domestic box office this year to $10. 31 billion. While he sees attendance dropping 0.5 percent, he expects the average ticket price to rise 2 percent to $8.12.

MKM Partners analyst Eric Handler is more bullish. “We remain somewhat optimistic toward the 2012 box office and forecast 3 percent growth for the year, driven entirely by pricing,” he wrote in updating his estimates on Tuesday. He expects a 7 percent improvement in the first quarter thanks to “better carryover from holiday films.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ht-2012-277508
Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM

I got so mad one time I threw the person's phone at the screen and left. The people behind me and around me cheered so it was worth it.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
I got so mad one time I threw the person's phone at the screen and left. The people behind me and around me cheered so it was worth it.
I'm surprised you weren't arrested. You should have been for doing that to someones property. I hate people doing that too but not your job dude. Was she crying when you walked out?