Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
    Kosty is offline Member

Blu-ray 2012 Blu-ray Sales Metrics Stats: HMM/Nielsen/Videoscan/The-Numbers Quarterly DEG etc

NEW 2012 THREAD OPENED 1/27/2012

UPDATE 1/27/12:

Link to the latest reference thread. Last page in reference thread should have latest sets of historical charts and graphs.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...es-thread.html

Note: 1/27/12 The reference thread is a bit slow in being updated by me and I should be able to catch up with it sooner or later.

(I have left a lot of reserved posts at the beginning for summary data.

NOTE: If you just want the latest charts and graphs and discussion, go to the last page of this thread.

If all you want is the latest weekly charts and graphs and the historical charts of the performance of individual titles off the Top 20 Sellers Charts and Top 20 Blu-ray charts for each week and the HMM narratives you can find them at this thread, without the discussion as I close that update thread between weekly updates:

HMM Nielsen data temporary update thread

Kosty
    Last edited by Kosty; 01-27-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

This is a the newest version ( started January 2012) continuation of the Nielsen/Videoscan sales thread.

This thread is for all discussion of Blu-ray sales stats on how Blu-ray sales are compared to DVD . Discussion of the Home Media Magazine stats and all other industry released sales statistics on Blu-ray is encouraged. This mostly will focus on software sales, as we get the most consistent information there, but relevent hardware sales talk is also allowed.

The first pages or so have summary posts aor historical data or stuff I think are useful as reference for the 2011 discussion. Requests to put stuff on the top of the thread can be posted in the thread or PMd to me or I may harvest stuff as I see it.

Discussion on current week sales figures are generally near the last couple pages of the thread, with current new weekly data coming in sometime late Wednesday afternoon to late evening when Home Media Magazine and The Hollywood Reporter give initial info on the Nielsen Videoscan first alert data which is released on that day for the last weeks data which ends on Sunday.

I've stopped trying to give a link to the latest week's discussion as the early posting of the Blu-ray and DVD research charts at Home Media magazine's homepage on Wednesday has kinda blended things together. Just go the last few pages of the thread and look for the graphs and charts to find the start of this weeks current discussion.

We now get the Nielsen Videoscan first alert Top 20 Sellers and Top 20 Blu-ray and BD Title Share and Rental charts publised a week before we get the revenue numbers from HMM, on a Monday through Sunday reporting week.

The revenue numbers for Blu-ray and DVD are now coming from HMM a week later with a one day offset with a Sunday through Saturday reporting week starting mid December 2010.

older threads located here:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...ntrak-deg.html

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...llers-etc.html

2009 Blu-ray Sales Metrics Stats: Nielsen/Videoscan/HMM Charts/Ratios/Bestsellers Etc

Nielsen/VideoScan 2008 Sales Metrics Thread: Ratios, Bestsellers, Weekly Charts etc

2007 sales metrics thread

For the record:

Why and how I do this stuff...

Quick question: with all the tables and graphs, WHEN do you find time to watch any movies????
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosty
    Almost everyday I find time when I'm not traveling to watch HD movies.

I'm interested in the success of HD movies and home theater and I have friends who like my analysis.

Plus once I've started , I have a lot of guys out there who have encouraged me and look forward to my comments and data roll up update each week so I kinda feel obligated.

I multi task during the day and night. I watch at least a HD movie a day, maybe more, if I'm not on the road.

If I'm incrementally adding on to the charts each week it takes less time that creating them from scratch, so its a routine. Pretty much I'm analyzing them as I type, so it takes less time, although I make an occasional typo or make a mistake that I hopefully catch when I re read them in context.

I'm reasonably fluent in Excel skills and I don't spend a lot of time making them pretty. Its a subject I'm interested in and I'm just sharing the joy. Posting started as a professional writing exercise and its now a habit. Most of the time comes in when the new data from TheNumbers.com gets released and I do the unit calculations. Did I say that I multi task pretty well?

Plus at this point, I have a lot of you guys double checking my data, so I feel pretty confident that if/when I make mistakes someone will catch it, so I feel free to just post.

This is fun stuff to do analysis on. Much easier to do it than with other subjects that I've been paid to do in the past.

For me its a stream of consciousness, multitasking orgy of analysis, connections, trade connections, forwarded PMs, emails, telephone calls, trade magazine reading, and basic curiosity from me and my real world business associates and clients.

That and reasonably fast typing skills.

I just like sharing some of the information I can find and organize in a way that keeps things in perspective and helps kill the FUD. Plus its a hobby and habit now and I learn a lot that helps out my real world clients as well as my own home theater enjoyment.

I'd rather let the facts speak for themselves or at least have all sides of the arguments presented so people can think for themselves.

Last but not least, I think this time is a bit significant in the adoption of high definition video and lossless audio in the home. I've to a degree met a lot of players in the industry and I kinda feel almost that I'm been seeing a bit of marketing and consumer electronics history. So at this point, I'm just feeling obligated to go along for the ride and see it through.

Glad someone out there appreciates it.

Kosty
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosty
    For the uninitiated, Wal-Mart does not cooperative with any data aggregators directly anymore, as the largest retailer it figured it was getting less out of the deal. But the weekly Nielsen Videoscan first alert report pretty much takes the point of sale cash register electronically reported data each week and keeps track of every transaction by price and SKU.

So for the most part, unless Wal-Mart had a special promotion or event (like Twilight DVD special edition and no Blu-ray version at all a few months ago) the Wal-Mart rankings will be almost exactly like the rest of the market. Pretty much its a 100% census of packaged media sales each week of every retailer with more than one store in the country. Or if you will a 60% sample size of the DVD market and 75-80% sample size of the Blu-ray market down to the individual transaction level.

The home media magazine weekly revenues add in an adjustment for Wal-Mart on top of the Nielsen Videoscan data and my top 20 estimates in this thread do so as well.

As of mid December 2010 HMM has transitioned into using additional data for their revenue estimates with studio input. This should help them provide a more accurate estimate of Walmart DVD and Blu-ray sales over time. When new revenues are being published the previous years estimates may also be revised to the best available final data.
    Old Nielsen Videoscan retailers list and Nielsen Videoscan overview

All of the charts involving individual titles and their Blu-ray marketshare or relative sales Index numbers are always based on unit sales. They are generated based on the units sold by SKU off the Nielsen Videoscan first alert report that comes out on Wednesday for the week ending the Sunday before.

Any charts based on the Nielsen Videoscan first alert report also don't include Wal-Mart in their Blu-ray marketshare or unit calculations, although its a fair assumption that Wal-Mart sales would be similar, especially as Blu-ray has become more mainstream and mass market and lower in price and the Walmart share of Blu-ray sales has risen over time.

Only HMM statistic that is revenue based is the overall format revenues and now the pie chart. Thats based on the Nielsen Videoscan first alert report, plus HMMs adjustment for Wal-Mart revenues and probably a nudge up for the first alert versus final number undercount. As of mid December 2010 HMM now uses additional input directly from the studios to generate the revenue data and has delayed the publication of the DVD and Blu-ray data for one week behind the individual title information and top 20 charts. As stated above, the revenue data is now offset one day with a Sunday through Saturday reporting week.
    Last edited by Kosty; 06-13-2012 at 04:59 AM.
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x2

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x3
    Last edited by Kosty; 03-12-2012 at 07:17 AM.

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x4

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x5

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x6

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x7

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x8

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x9

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x10

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x11

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x12

follow me on Twitter

Kosty is offline Member

Reserved x13

follow me on Twitter

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast