Kosty is going to be attending CES 2012 - Any specific items or technologies to see? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 AM

Question Kosty is going to be attending CES 2012 - Any specific items or technologies to see?

CES 2012 will again be held in Las Vegas on January 2012.

As usual is there any specific items or technologies for me to look at? The more specific the better and booth numbers or any background in formation will be useful in my planning.

I will be there for the entire length of the floor exhibit days and will be there just before and after the show this time around. Between my business obligations and meetings and my own look at various technologies I will have some additional time to see other things. Pretty much I will walk the entire exhibit space so nothing is too exotic for me to possibly look at.

As usual any home theater stuff, front projectors, HDTVs of all types and technologies,3D stuff Blu-ray players and home theater items and home networking are my primary aspects to look at but anything is possible. UltraViolet as well.

The more specific you can be the more likely I can look at what is of interest.

The list of exhibitors is here:

http://www.cesweb.org/

http://ces12.mapyourshow.com/5_0/search.cfm?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Mobile, Tablets and the Cloud to Dominate CES

26 Dec, 2011
By: Chris Tribbey

3DTV and connected TVs have been all the rage the past couple of years at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), but so far there’s been little hype surrounding those topics leading up to the latest show, held Jan. 10 to 13 in Las Vegas.

Instead, everyone seems to be talking about mobile.

“Mobile and portable connected devices are driving growth in the CE industry and will be a major focus of the 2012 CES,” said Karen Chupka, SVP of events and conferences for the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). “The 2012 CES is the best place to see all the latest tablets and smartphones that bring broadband capability to wireless devices that fit the way consumers work, live and play.”

CEA research has tablet computer growth at nearly 160% for 2011, with more than 26.5 million units shipped, producing $14 billion in revenue. Smartphone sales are expected to grow 45% by the time the year’s finished, producing $23 billion in revenue.

CES’s Access on the Go TechZone will highlight devices that deliver on-the-go content, including movies, TV and music, and basically every major smartphone company, other than Apple, will be on hand. Digital Hollywood will run a two-day Smartphone and Tablet Conference with several panels Jan. 9 and 10.

“The importance of CES cannot be understated,” said Douglas Turner, VP of Iogear in Foothill Ranch, Calif. “This year we’re focused on mobility and convergence products — two segments CEA has placed great emphasis on.”

Other conference sessions in the mobile arena include those focusing on applications, 4G and new content features for smartphones.

■ For news on one of the newest initiatives in the home entertainment space, UltraViolet, the industry will look to Jan. 10, when the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem, or DECE, the cross-industry consortium behind UltraViolet, has its event, where it will provide a progress report on the cloud-based service, preview what’s coming next for the service and offer some data regarding how the service has worked thus far.

■ Neustar Media, which built the cloud-based infrastructure for UltraViolet, is expected to debut Catalyst, a white-labeled digital storefront for studios and retailers that could help them improve the user interface for UltraViolet. Neustar will be the only company on the CES show floor that will have demos of UltraViolet.

■ More than 2,700 exhibitors will be at the show, with more than 140,000 attendees expected. Of those attendees, more than 20,000 are expected to come from overseas. Attendees will be treated to more than two dozen specific Tech Zones, and, time permitting, the Hollywood types may want to stop by [email protected], HDMI, Mobile DTV and Access on the Go.

■ Entertainment Matters, sponsored by Variety and Ericsson, is a program aimed directly at the content community. Attendees of 2012 Entertainment Matters will get a first look at devices, technologies and platforms for broadcasted content. Robert Kyncl, VP of global content partnerships at YouTube, will deliver the Entertainment Matters keynote address. Jan. 11 panel sessions include “What’s Cooking? Technologists Eye the Future of Entertainment,” “The New Technorati: How Today’s Youth Are Shaping the Future of Digital Media and Content,” and “Masters of Film and Technology Breakthroughs.”

■ Hollywood professionals also should keep an eye on the home entertainment sessions, which include sessions on tablets, 3DTV, smart TV, “Navigating the Connected Home” and portable 3D. Additionally, “Content in the Cloud,” a series of sessions Jan. 11 produced by the Distributed Computing Industry Association, includes such panels as “Consumer Benefits of Cloud-Delivered Content: Ubiquity, Cost, Portability Improvements Keynote” and “Consumer Drawbacks of Cloud-Delivered Content: Privacy, Reliability, Security Issues.” And the Parks Associates’ Jan. 10 Connections Summit will include “Smart TV 2012 Outlook” and “The Personal Cloud and Digital Locker.”

■ Planned CES keynotes include the Consumer Electronics Association’s Gary Shapiro, Qualcomm’s Paul Jacobs, Microsoft’s Steve Ballmer, Ericsson’s Hans Vestberg, Intel’s Paul Otellini, Mercedes-Benz’s Dieter Zetsche, Xerox’s Ursula Burns, Ford’s Alan Mulally and Verizon’s Lowell McAdam.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/con...nate-ces-25969
Old 12-27-2011, 05:23 AM

would be neat to see how goes the latest in 4k for home. latest ive seen were projectors still in the 10k+ range, and nothing as far as a format. blu ray was created back in 2000, so if nothing is new on this front, we are at least 10 years out for a 4k format (and i think its quite possible we never see 4k). anyway yeah that would be my choice!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion View Post
would be neat to see how goes the latest in 4k for home. latest ive seen were projectors still in the 10k+ range, and nothing as far as a format. blu ray was created back in 2000, so if nothing is new on this front, we are at least 10 years out for a 4k format (and i think its quite possible we never see 4k). anyway yeah that would be my choice!
It may be sooner than that for enthusiast availability if not general consumer adoption. Especially for movies even regular Blu-ray 2K content looks better on a 4K display especially for a large front projector image and the other advantage of a 4K display is it does 3D images in 2K resolution at increased fidelity as well as you can get 120 hz in both eyes at 1920x1080p resolution at full frame rates and a brighter image.

Sony and JVC both had 4K projectors on the floor at CEDIA 2011 back in September in Indianapolis and the Sony one was really true 4K2k without interpolation magic like the JVC ones. Both brands promised better versions at CES with Sony talking about 4k content as some rumblings of a 4K Blu-ray format.

I'll be sure to look at it and report back in detail but anything talking about 4K on home video is definitively on my to do list as primary objectives.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:52 AM

Please see if you can get any info on upcoming 3D televisions or even monitors in the 19-24" range. I'm hoping we finally get some more options in that size range, preferably glasses free or at least with passive glasses. Specifically I'm hoping Vizio moves the technology down to their 22" sets as its already standard now in their higher end TVs 32" and up.

Oh and have a great trip!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Stream TV's Autostereoscopic 3D displays

Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Business obligations? Hmmmm.

Well how about any info on any products that might actually help save OD?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

CES 2012 will again be held in Las Vegas on January 2012.

As usual is there any specific items or technologies for me to look at? The more specific the better and booth numbers or any background in formation will be useful in my planning.

I will be there for the entire length of the floor exhibit days and will be there just before and after the show this time around. Between my business obligations and meetings and my own look at various technologies I will have some additional time to see other things. Pretty much I will walk the entire exhibit space so nothing is too exotic for me to possibly look at.

As usual any home theater stuff, front projectors, HDTVs of all types and technologies,3D stuff Blu-ray players and home theater items and home networking are my primary aspects to look at but anything is possible. UltraViolet as well.

The more specific you can be the more likely I can look at what is of interest.

The list of exhibitors is here:

http://www.cesweb.org/

http://ces12.mapyourshow.com/5_0/search.cfm?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Anything OLED, please
Old 12-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post
Anything OLED, please
LG's 55-inch 'world's largest' OLED HDTV panel is official, coming to CES 2012

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/25/l...official-comi/

BTW - if you have to ask, "how much?" . . . you can't afford it.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:13 PM

any use of near field tech in home theatre