Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lee Stewart is offline Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Arrow Why Can't I Get an In-Car Blu-ray Player?

Why Can't I Get an In-Car Blu-ray Player?

24 Dec, 2011
    By: Thomas K. Arnold

I am about to install a new DVD player in my car, to replace the old broken one that came with the SUV when we bought it back in July 2005.

That’s right, a DVD player.

I’d love to put in a Blu-ray Disc player, but, alas, every car place I called said there isn’t one, primarily because the inability to make a 10-inch screen show true high-definition. “It’s at least eight to 10 years off, from what I hear,” one installer told me.

That got me to searching the web, and I became increasingly frustrated. Several stories about manufacturers producing Blu-ray Disc players for cars popped up, but try to buy one and you’re out of luck. At the 2007 Toyko Motor Show, Panasonic unveiled the first Blu-ray player to be used specifically inside an automobile. No further word was heard until April 2009, when Panasonic said it was getting ready to launch the world’s first “in-car Blu-ray player” in Japan. At the same time, Mitsubishi said it was getting ready to offer an in-car Blu-ray Disc player, as well.

Fast-forward to January 2011. Engadget carried a report headlined “Audiovox shows off the industry's first in-car Blu-ray player, the AVDBR1.” The story said the player is “due in the spring with an MSRP of $349.99,” and “is even BD-Live compatible with optional WiFi upgrade, available after a firmware update arrives later this year.”

All right, everyone. You have whetted my appetite. I want to buy one. I’d gladly fork over “MSRP of $349.99,” or whatever else I need to.

So why can’t I buy one? The inability to manufacture the right kind of screen is a sorry excuse. At least give me a car player that will play my Blu-ray Discs, even if the monitor isn’t HD. It’s a convenience thing, and I think we as an industry are sending consumers a very bad message by not giving them an in-car device that will play Blu-ray Discs. It fuels the “this is a half-baked format” perception, and coming more than five years after the format launched is simply, utterly, completely ridiculous.

I know there are other options. We can buy a combo pack, store the Blu-ray Disc with our home theater and pack the DVD in our car. Or we can download a digital copy and watch it on our notebook or smartphone. But that isn’t the point. We are being told Blu-ray Disc is the format of the present, and that DVD is obsolete. And yet we still can’t buy a Blu-ray Disc player for the car; if we want to keep the kids happy during a long road trip, we need to take a step back in time and buy a DVD player.

It simply makes no sense.
    http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tks...blu-ray-player

GizmoDVD is offline Banned

HMM posted that story?

But let's be real here - who wants a disc unit of any kind in there car? Just give the kids an iPad and they'll be happy. My Nav system has a DVD player and I've only used it once, just to make sure it worked.

Wait, don't they have portable Blu-ray players? What kind of screens are in those?
    Last edited by GizmoDVD; 12-24-2011 at 06:04 PM.

LordoftheRingsEE is offline Formerly Lordoftherings

I guess there isn't a true demand for it because I'm sure the manufacturers would love to make more money.
    Bob
    There & Gone
    Life, Love & the Blues
    <<< 3DDD!!! Way to go Baby! >>>
    => Click Me!
    I got 'Lawrence of Arabia', 'LOTR EE' Trilogy, & 'Avatar 3D' (without the Panny TV).
    => Audyssey Setup Guide
    "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
    => Audyssey FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
    I guess there isn't a true demand for it because I'm sure the manufacturers would love to make more money.
    Or maybe it's the old story . . . DVD is good enough

Kosty is offline Member

The point was a lament about not having a Blu-ray player DVD as an option so that the DVD copy was not required to play in the family vehicle if consumers were buying only DVDs.

I think its overstated as there are plenty of family orientated BD+DVD combos that fill that need at this point in time.
    "A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
    The point was a lament about not having a Blu-ray player DVD as an option so that the DVD copy was not required to play in the family vehicle if consumers were buying only DVDs.

I think its overstated as there are plenty of family orientated BD+DVD combos that fill that need at this point in time.
    I don't agree with your spin . . . Tom said it very clearly:

We are being told Blu-ray Disc is the format of the present, and that DVD is obsolete. And yet we still can’t buy a Blu-ray Disc player for the car; if we want to keep the kids happy during a long road trip, we need to take a step back in time and buy a DVD player.

It simply makes no sense.

silverado is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Ahhhh Lee, beat me to the punch. How many catalog releases come in a combo pack?

cakefoo is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
    Or maybe it's the old story . . . DVD is good enough
    DVD might be good enough for car speakers and a 10 inch screen as you get tossed around, but DVD isn't good enough for the living room.

Sbert is offline Member

For convenience sakes, I want an in car blu-ray player also. Being that there are portable blu-ray players now, I don't see what the big deal is.

http://www.slashgear.com/panasonic-c...ealed-2053178/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/a...-ray-player-t/
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

Quote Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
    DVD might be good enough for car speakers and a 10 inch screen as you get tossed around, but DVD isn't good enough for the living room.
    Many think it is. Let me remind you that HDTV adoption is 70%, DVD adoption is 90% and BD adoption is 34%

Of course this thread is about an in-car BD player but thanks for the plug!

By the way . . . something wrong with the suspension on your car when traveling?

Quote Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
    For convenience sakes, I want an in car blu-ray player also. Being that there are portable blu-ray players now, I don't see what the big deal is.

http://www.slashgear.com/panasonic-c...ealed-2053178/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/a...-ray-player-t/
    Laptops too. But THIS thread is about in-car BD players being non-existant after 5.5 years of the formats launch.

Of course, I wouldn't want to be in a car holding something in my lap and be involved in a major accident.

chipvideo is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
    Maybe for you it isn't, but the MAJORITY of consumers it is.

Sbert is offline Member

Laptops too. But THIS thread is about in-car BD players being non-existant after 5.5 years of the formats launch.

Of course, I wouldn't want to be in a car holding something in my lap and be involved in a major accident.
    There are definitely portable BD players you can use in the Car and strap in (my brother has a dvd system like that), but I don't think there are any dealer options at the purchase options or any installation options for in dash, headrest, etc for blu-ray.
    Cheers to the ever positive Kosty, may you find peace and happiness in the heavens above.
    Kosty's Obituary
    Kosty's Guestbook
    Kosty's HiDefForum Memorial Thread
    Hidefdigest Zyber Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
    There are definitely portable BD players you can use in the Car and strap in (my brother has a dvd system like that), but I don't think there are any dealer options at the purchase options or any installation options for in dash, headrest, etc for blu-ray.
    According to Tom Arnold - there aren't. That was the point of his editorial.

cakefoo is offline Member

Many think it is. Let me remind you that HDTV adoption is 70%, DVD adoption is 90% and BD adoption is 34%
    And Blu-ray got to that point because people found DVD to not be good enough in the living room. I don't know who is really asking for HD resolution for their 10 inch car screens. The point is that it isn't the "same story" of DVD being good enough, as there are far more people who find DVD good enough for a 10 inch screen than for their big-screen HDTV at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast