Last min Yahoo gift ideas. Netflix makes the cut. Where is Bluray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 PM

Default Last min Yahoo gift ideas. Netflix makes the cut. Where is Bluray?

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...r-tech-lovers/

Quote:
By Andrew Couts, Digital Trends
Don't panic ó there's still time to get all your gifts for the holidays. Just pick out one of these great gadgets, find your closest store, and your on your way to a worry-free holiday.

Courtesy of Microsoft
Procrastinators, rejoice! Just because youíve put off all your gift-buying until the last possible moment doesnít mean you have to be this yearís Grinch. There are still plenty of gifts available. Since youíre likely too late to take advantage of even the fastest shipping options, however, youíre going to need to get out there and buy your gifts at brick and mortar shops. To help you get over the holiday hurdle, weíve rounded up a few tech-centric gift ideas that will be a guaranteed win for the gadget lover in your life ó and pointed you toward nationwide retailers where you should be able to pick them up any time.

Xbox 360 with Kinect bundle: $300
Gifts donít get much better than an Xbox 360; itís literally all fun and games. We recommend spending a little extra loot for the Kinect bundle, which includes an Xbox 360 with a 4GB hard drive, one wireless controller, the Kinect motion-sensor controller, and a copy of the family-friendly Kinect Adventure game. The only problem is that you might want to keep this one for yourself.

Where to get it: The Xbox 360 Kinect Bundle with Kinectimals game starts at $300 on Yahoo! Shopping.

Courtesy of Apple
More from
Digital Trends:

Best high-tech toys of 2011

Tech gifts for the whole family

Top 10 gifts for gamers

Apple iPod touch (8GB): $190
Loaded with nearly all the benefits of an iPhone ó without the expensive monthly service bill ó the iPod touch remains one of the best gadgets out there for people of all ages. The fourth-generation iPod touch packs a front and rear-facing camera (for video chat), texting abilities (through iMessage and other apps), Web surfing over Wi-Fi and access to Appleís iTunes App Store. Best of all, itís widely available, so youíll have no problem snagging one, even if Christmas morning is only hours away.

Where to get it: iPod Touch 8GB prices starting at $180 on Yahoo! Shopping.

Courtesy of Apple
Gift cards: $20 and up

Sure, gift cards might not be the most personal gift in the world ó but they are extremely practical, and carry zero chance of going unappreciated. There are, of course, gift cards for every type of need. Plus, you can buy them nearly anywhere. Grab an iTunes card for music lovers and app fanatics, an Xbox Live card for gamers, or an Amazon card if you havenít a clue what the person youíre buying for likes. In short: Gift cards are the late-gift-buyerís surefire salvation.

Where to buy: Gift cards can be found at Target (grocery stores, drug stores or gas stations) & Yahoo! Shopping.

Courtesy of Canon
Canon ELPH 310 HS: $200
One of our favorite cameras of 2011, the ELPH 310 continues Canonís tradition of excellent point-and-shoot cameras. With a 12.1-megapixel sensor, 8x optical zoom, 1080p HD video shooting capabilities, a bright LCD display, and solid low-light shooting, the ELPH 310 is all the camera any casual users could wish for.

Where to get it: The ELPH 310 is available on Yahoo! Shopping with prices starting at $199.

Courtesy of Netflix
Netflix subscription: $8 to $95
While competitors are popping up left and right, Netflix remains the best video-streaming service available. Itís accessible from a wide range of devices, including PCs, smartphones, tablets and gaming consoles, among others. And itís relatively inexpensive. Netflix offers gift options that range from one month of streaming-only ($7.99) to one year ($95.88), with two-month, three-month and six-month options in between. Not only that, but you donít have to even leave your computer to scratch this one off your list.

Where to get it: Netflix.com

Courtesy of HP
HP Pavillion G6 15.6-inch laptop: $430
Packed with a dual-core 2.1GHz Intel processor, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive, the HP Pavillion G6 has all anyone short of a hardcore gamer will need from their PC. All the other requisite features are there, as well, including Wi-Fi, a built-in card reader and a webcam. The G6 comes pre-loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). All in all, itís a solid computer for a good price.

Where to get it: Walmart.com

Courtesy of Samsung
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (16GB): $450
One of the best tablets weíve ever laid our hands on, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 is light and thinner than an iPad 2, but with a big enough screen to enjoy all a tablet has to offer. The 1280 x 800 resolution touchscreen is beautiful, and the 1GHz dual-core Tegra 2 processor is more than enough to power your gifteeís couch-surfing whims.

Where to get it: Best Buy

Courtesy of Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble Nook Simple Touch: $99
While not as flashy as the Nook Tablet or Amazonís Kindle Fire, the Nook Simple Touch remains one of the best e-readers on the market. Your gift recipient will have access to Barnes & Nobleís catalog of more than 2 million books. And the Nook Simple Touch can hold up to 1,000 books thanks to its SD card slot, which supports storage expansion up to 32 GB. The long-life battery allows for up to three weeks of reading on a single charge (with Wi-Fi on). And at a mere 8 ounces, the whole things weighs less than your average paperback.

Where to get it: The Nook Simple Touch is available on Yahoo! Shopping with prices starting at $99.
It's the weekend before Christmas. Bluray players are easily found under 100 bucks. Yet Doesnt make the list. I've said it once and i'll say it again. I just don't see the hype for Bluray. Except from like 6 guys on this forum. :blackeye3:
Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post

It's the weekend before Christmas. Bluray players are easily found under 100 bucks. Yet Doesnt make the list. I've said it once and i'll say it again. I just don't see the hype for Bluray. Except from like 6 guys on this forum. :blackeye3:
The Sammy Galaxy makes the list but not the ever popular iPad or AppleTV?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:

Or the people that bought 3.6 million Blu-ray Discs last week. :tongue:

Or the people designing the Best Buy Target and Walmart ads that feature Blu-ray movies and players every week in the holiday season.

Or the studios that feature Blu-ray now first on any TV commercial promoting a new release.

Or....
Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 PM

As far as I'm concerned most "gamers" already have blu-ray on their ps3. And those that don't, who use uptodate computers have blu-ray drives.

I'm not sure if a BD player would really be on that list myself. Although, I did buy a BD writer for a friend who is a gamer who hasn't upgrade his PC since 2006 (it was also a 3.5k pc).
Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 PM

Then what's the use, Mal? Just close your account and call it a day.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 PM

Hooray for Netflix. Some random journalist thought of you when he made a list. Big whoop.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Or the people that bought 3.6 million Blu-ray Discs last week. :tongue:
Look at that! Unit talk. Wow, who'd a thunk?

No one cares. Studios don't care how many discs are sold. They care about how much they made. And that barely 2 billion (maybe!) split between how many majors and many indies is nothing.

Nice try though.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Then what's the use, Mal? Just close your account and call it a day.
What fun would that be?!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
What fun would that be?!
He's just mad that your not here discussing unit sales. We all know when you work, they pay you in units and not money.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:57 AM

wow since we are posting random articles from digitaltrends, here are two additional ones!

Blu Ray software sales finally start accelerating
"Despite the growing number of streaming options available to consumers for new movies, Blu-ray is slowing starting to grow and become a popular choice among consumers."
/home-theater/blu-ray-software-sales-finally-start-accelerating/

Best Blu Ray Movies
"Throughout 2011, things changed. The format has become increasingly more accepted and sales have begun to accelerate. With the holiday season now looming, we take a look back at the best Blu-ray releases to date."
/home-theater/best-blu-ray-movies/

we get it, you die-hard hd-dvd supporters are bitter for losing the war. blu ray will not be the success dvd was, but it will last another 10 years so i guess you'll be posting 'blu ray IS DYING" until 2020 or until you guys get bored.