Anime studios and their HD format plans. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Anime studios and their HD format plans.

IGN has taken it upon themsleves to question the various anime studios about their HD format plans. The first article is up and here are the quick glance results:

Blu-ray:
Funimation (Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragonball series, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo! series)

HD DVD
Bandai (Gundam series, Naruto, .hack series, Ghost in the Shell series, )

To Be Determined:
Geneon (Gungrave, Hellsing, Paranoia Agent, R.O.D, Trigun)

Article link.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Next week IGN will be giving us the scoop on:

ADV (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, Elfen Lied, Full Metal Panic)
Manga (Blood: The Last Vampire, Street Fighter, Akira)
Viz (The Big O, Bleach, Blue Dragon, Pokemon, Wolf's Rain)
Old 07-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Bandai has already gone neutral in the US.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Never understood this Anime. But I know their fans can drive sales (ala gameboy). But also, is it really worth it in HD?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
Never understood this Anime. But I know their fans can drive sales (ala gameboy). But also, is it really worth it in HD?
Anime is all about sharp lines, so as you can surely imagine, those lines look much nicer in high definition.

Watch the Freedom HD DVD for a dazzling demonstration of just how amazing HD anime looks.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM

Also the anime crowd is not above importing. Also the subtitling is 1 key aspect for anime crowd in usa/can. So if any info on subs is big info.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
They're neutral everywhere (well Japan also, for the moment), I think it was just Freedom that was HD-DVD exclusive, possibly because of the features.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:17 PM

I would love to see some of Miyazaki's stuff like Princess Mononoke,Spirited away and others,maybe the latest Appleseed too,that would look great in hi Def
Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM

Yeah, close to half of my DVD collection is anime... maybe more actually. So this kind of news is quite big for me
Old 07-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinius_rex View Post
Yeah, close to half of my DVD collection is anime... maybe more actually. So this kind of news is quite big for me
My DVD collection is more like 75-80% anime with the rest of it non-anime. It's funny how I went through a spell only buying "big hit" movies and HD in general has pulled me back into having an interest in Hollywood movies.

What's pissing me off is the pricing scheme of the new anime disc in HD. I though I had paid my dues (overly high prices) back in the late 80's / early 90's. I was just getting used to an entire season on DVD for ~$40, now they want $40 for a single 25 min episode with no English Dub Yes I'm one of "those" fans that prefer dubs.... especially at a convention where you can't read the subs from all the people in your way. Stupid cos-players and their costumes (JK )