Director Ridley Scott - Blu-ray Disc as the Best Way to Watch Movies-Huffington Post - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Default Director Ridley Scott - Blu-ray Disc as the Best Way to Watch Movies-Huffington Post

Big Blu-ray mention on one of the most prominent web sites around for Blu-ray.

Nice PR mention for Blu-ray at the start of the December holiday sales season.

Its a prominent as the featured blog post in their entertainment section and is the featured blog mention as well on their hugely trafficed home page of The Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

Quote:
The Huffington Post

Ridley Scott Director

The Only Way to See a Film

Posted: 12/ 6/11 03:24 PM ET

Technology continues to bring us wondrous advances in filmmaking to improve how we view movies.

While it's exciting to consider the possibilities stemming from this era of innovation -- which directors and futurists for decades have envisioned -- that allows us to watch a movie "anywhere, anytime," the more preoccupied we become with the technologies of how movies can reach us, the less we seem to ask the most important question: How do we really want to experience a film?

In my view, the only way to see a film remains the way the filmmaker intended: inside a large movie theater with great sound and pristine picture. Music and dialogue that doesn't fully reproduce the soundtrack of the original loses an essential element for its appreciation. Simply put, the film loses its power.

Short of that, the technically sophisticated Blu-ray disc, of which I've been a supporter since its inception, is the closest we've come to replicating the best theatrical viewing experience I've ever seen. It allows us to present in a person's living room films in their original form with proper colors, aspect ratio, sound quality, and, perhaps most importantly, startling clarity.

Which is why it has never made sense to me that those preoccupied with how movies are delivered have for years written off "physical media" (i.e., movies on discs) as "dead" even though the evidence shows it isn't happening and won't for years to come.

Technology will need to make many more huge leaps before one can ever view films with the level of picture and sound quality many film lovers demand without having to slide a disc into a player, especially with the technical requirements of today's 3D movies.

Granted, the older DVD technology is phasing out. But it is yielding to the Blu-ray just as videocassettes once gave way to the technically superior DVD. This is evolution.

Far from being dead, physical media has years of life left and must be preserved because there is no better alternative. Pundits aside, Blu-ray for the foreseeable future remains the finest technology to preserve the impact and enjoyment of watching movies at home.

We've come a long way from those flickering, silent screens which were accompanied only by a person playing a piano. What has remained constant is that people then and now have always sought out the magic one feels after watching a truly memorable film. For movie lovers it doesn't matter whether that magic comes at a theater or through a disc, an electronic stream, a satellite or a wireless device as long as it is delivered through the best possible experience.

Ridley Scott is a three-time Oscar nominated filmmaker, producer and director. His next film project, Prometheus, is scheduled to be released next year by 20th Century Fox.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ridley...b_1132350.html
Old 12-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Title of this thread is a lie. Scott clearly says that the theater is the best way. He said Bluray is the closest to that. Did you even read the article before thinking up the best Pro Bluray title you could come up with?? Plus we all know that Bluray is the best we have for home use. So not sure how this is smackdown really. I think you tried too hard on this one coming off the heals of those 5% BLack Friday numbers.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Title of this thread is a lie. Scott clearly says that the theater is the best way. He said Bluray is the closest to that. Did you even read the article before thinking up the best Pro Bluray title you could come up with?? Plus we all know that Bluray is the best we have for home use. So not sure how this is smackdown really. I think you tried too hard on this one coming off the heals of those 5% BLack Friday numbers.
Saying its a lie is strong and unnecessary. Thread titles are limited in word length.

I agree that he mean Blu-ray is the best way to duplicate the theatrical experience in the home. I clearly showed that by highlighting the parts of the article that said exactly that and including the entire article and his comments for context.

But for the thousands of movies that are not in current release in the theater as only a handful are at any given time Blu-ray is the best way in his opinion to watch them.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 AM

Its worth noting as the Huffington Post is one of the most read websites in North America and on the entire web and its a prominent mention for Blu-ray.

Sorry since its pro Blu-ray you do not like it but since this is the High Definition Digest its on topic.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
It is amazing how upset you get when you hear that Blu-Ray will be around for years to come. Is it really such a bad thing. Chew on this. Even the person how maintains the UV FAQ website thinks Blu-Ray could be around another 20 years or so...
Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wowzers. Another change to make Blu-ray the front and center of attention. Well, expect many more pro-Blu pieces especially after that embarrassing Black Friday week.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 AM

I think that most consumers are not worried about recreating the "movie theater experience" so much as:

Quote:
For movie lovers it doesn't matter whether that magic comes at a theater or through a disc, an electronic stream, a satellite or a wireless device as long as it is delivered through the best possible experience.
The best possible experience does not mean PQ or AQ, and should not be confused. We are enthusiasts, so is Mr. Ridley Scott, but there are families who believe that the best possible experience is sitting together as a family and watching a good movie that makes everyone laugh, cry or jump, and don't really care about the pixels.
Whoa, I think I need my morning oatmeal and coffee.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I think that most consumers are not worried about recreating the "movie theater experience" so much as:

The best possible experience does not mean PQ or AQ, and should not be confused. We are enthusiasts, so is Mr. Ridley Scott, but there are families who believe that the best possible experience is sitting together as a family and watching a good movie that makes everyone laugh, cry or jump, and don't really care about the pixels.
Whoa, I think I need my morning oatmeal and coffee.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/ind...nt-sales-25712

Quote:
Sales of big screen HDTVs and tentpole Blu-ray Disc titles are projected to lead Black Friday home entertainment sales, according to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group.

The industry trade group said sales of TVs 60 inches and larger have become popular home theater centerpieces to engage with packaged media, including video games, as unit retail prices fall below $1000.

Specifically, 1.3 million HDTV units with 60-inch and larger screen size are projected to be sold by the end of the year, up 50% from the same time in 2010.
That is a pretty significant number of HDTV's that are 60"+ for this year on top of what has already been sold and then all the folks that own projectors.

Tells me that people do want to replicate the theater experience in their home. I know I do.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Wowzers. Another change to make Blu-ray the front and center of attention. Well, expect many more pro-Blu pieces especially after that embarrassing Black Friday week.
Oh course that's your bitter and gloomy argumentative take.

Makes perfect sense that more positive articles and press relations would take place during the time when consumer sales are the strongest for packaged media and consumer electronics.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Oh course that's your bitter and gloomy argumentative take.

Makes perfect sense that more positive articles and press relations would take place during the time when consumer sales are the strongest for packaged media and consumer electronics.
Strongest? Not for Blu-ray. We just saw a measly 5% growth. That's not strong.