More Space = Better Sound - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 PM

Default More Space = Better Sound

Are there any HD-DVD Titles with Uncompressed Audio tracks?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:33 PM

Yes.

More space doesn't necessarily mean squat. Case in point Paramount and Warner, who have given BD lesser quality tracks on numerous occasions.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 PM

TrueHD = Lossless
Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 PM
formerly Blu Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanWG View Post
Yes.

More space doesn't necessarily mean squat. Case in point Paramount and Warner, who have given BD lesser quality tracks on numerous occasions.
Well, that doesn't have to due with disc space.

Basically, Dolby True HD, is the equivelant of PCM on Blu-ray (and even outputs as PCM when connected through an HDMI capable reciever). There are a LOT of threads with a lot more information for you on this. I would try educating yourself on all the audio specs available and then the recievers coming out. Searching through the AVSforum.com would be a good place to start. (And they are pretty HD-DVD friendly there.)

Take it easy.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-sane View Post
TrueHD = Lossless
I didn't say Lossless, I said uncompressed.

What good is TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, if you don't have a decoder?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
I didn't say Lossless, I said uncompressed.

What good is TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, if you don't have a decoder?
Don't be a cheapskate, Uncle Frank. Decoder's are pretty cheap. If you had enough money to buy your HD player, I'm pretty sure you'll have enough money to buy a real bitchin' digital sound system.

Uncompressed just takes up way too much space. TrueHD is the way to go. No difference in sound whatsoever.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
Don't be a cheapskate, Uncle Frank. Decoder's are pretty cheap. If you had enough money to buy your HD player, I'm pretty sure you'll have enough money to buy a real bitchin' digital sound system.

Uncompressed just takes up way too much space. TrueHD is the way to go. No difference in sound whatsoever.
TrueHD (or DTS HD MA) gives you a better shot at having enough room for a lossless sound track; sometimes you run out of space for a lossless soundtrack (e.g. "King Kong") because of storage limitations. Or, you sacrifice video bitrate to make room for a lossless (or even DD 5.1) soundtrack....
Old 07-16-2007, 11:40 PM

I have to say, I like the Dolby Digital Plus. For such films like King Kong as mentioned above, all you really need is just a dolby digital plus soundtrack. It sounded fantastic. There's enough room to fit a TrueHD soundtrack on Terminator 3, Smokin' Aces, Flags of our Fathers, etc. but to be honest, you don't really need it. I really like the DD+ soundtracks on a lot of films (The Polar Express sounded amazing). I don't believe TrueHD gets tossed aside due to disc space, but just by the thought of not really needing it. Look at DVDs for example; if you wanted your "best" sound experience, then every DVD would've had DTS/-ES on it. But on a lot of action flicks, a 5.1 DD track was all you needed, and it sounded great (like SWAT, HULK, and Black Hawk Down just to name 3). If you were blind-folded and an audio track was playing over a movie (DD, DD+, DDTrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, etc.) my guess is is that 95% of us would guess wrong. We would just be guessing as to what was playing.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 AM

Default Who the heck is Uncle Frank?

Quote:

Agreed that uncompressed takes more space than DTHD or DTS-HDMA. Which was my original statement. And yes lossless is the way to go for the best sound quality.

However, I can't believe you wen't cheapskate on me. So what if decoders are cheap, sure, but why in the heck would I buy a cheap decoder? So I could get cheap sound, Aunt Betty?

But seriously, as far as quality sound goes, you'd only spend the same on a sound system that you spent on an HD-DVD player?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
I have to say, I like the Dolby Digital Plus. For such films like King Kong as mentioned above, all you really need is just a dolby digital plus soundtrack. It sounded fantastic. There's enough room to fit a TrueHD soundtrack on Terminator 3, Smokin' Aces, Flags of our Fathers, etc. but to be honest, you don't really need it. I really like the DD+ soundtracks on a lot of films (The Polar Express sounded amazing). I don't believe TrueHD gets tossed aside due to disc space, but just by the thought of not really needing it. Look at DVDs for example; if you wanted your "best" sound experience, then every DVD would've had DTS/-ES on it. But on a lot of action flicks, a 5.1 DD track was all you needed, and it sounded great (like SWAT, HULK, and Black Hawk Down just to name 3). If you were blind-folded and an audio track was playing over a movie (DD, DD+, DDTrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, etc.) my guess is is that 95% of us would guess wrong. We would just be guessing as to what was playing.
I can tell you the difference between Dolby 5.1 & uncompressed sound in a blindfold test. If you think Black Hawk Down sounds good in Dolby 5.1 you should it in uncompressed sound. It actually makes you feel like you're in the movie. Listen to one of the scenes where they're in the helicopted in uncompressed sound. It was audio nirvana.