3D-TV's Are A Bust - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-20-2011, 01:43 PM

Default 3D-TV's Are A Bust

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/hdnet-ce...se-of-3-d/9241

Found this article at DVD Town.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 PM

Can't say I'm not surprised, can't say I'm not glad either. But don't worry 3D fans, if we look at history, 3D makes a comeback every few decades or so. First in the 1950s, the in th 80s, so in about ten or twenty years it'll be back, and better then ever. Hopefully without having to use stupid glasses either....
Old 11-20-2011, 02:49 PM

This makes it sound like it isn't going anywhere:

Quote:
"A number of people…thought they could just deliver a kind of low-end, crappy version of [3D] and people wouldn't care," said Katzenberg recently. "Nothing could have been further from the truth." The onetime 3D evangelist said that if the studios deliver quality films, the format will return to favor. "I think it will take us a while, but we'll earn it back."
Old 11-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gorilla View Post
Can't say I'm not surprised, can't say I'm not glad either. But don't worry 3D fans, if we look at history, 3D makes a comeback every few decades or so. First in the 1950s, the in th 80s, so in about ten or twenty years it'll be back, and better then ever. Hopefully without having to use stupid glasses either....
Your farewell to 3D speech is a bit premature. . .

They continue to release 3DTV equipment to consumers
They continue to make 3D movies for theaters
They continue to add 3D content for consumers

New TV formats do not explode in sales a year or two after they are introduced. Didn't happen for B&W nor Color TV nor HDTV.

Some people's expectations just aren't based on historical reality.

And Autostereoscopic 3D will always pale in comparison to glasses based 3D. It is just "the nature of the beast." In all the years that Auto 3D has been around, there have been no real breakthroughs other than head tracking which only helps in defining a seating position.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

New TV formats do not explode in sales a year or two after they are introduced. Didn't happen for B&W nor Color TV nor HDTV.

And Autostereoscopic 3D will always pale in comparison to glasses based 3D. It is just "the nature of the beast." In all the years that Auto 3D has been around, there have been no real breakthroughs other than head tracking which only helps in defining a seating position.
I agree with Lee here.

3D HDTV sales may have been less than projected last fall but we are just moving into the hardware holiday shopping season.

Studios are still releasing 3d movies even if they are taking it a bit less rushed.

Blu-ray 3D players and Blu-ray 3D movie sales are already noticeable in volume and and increasing steadily and all in all it seems that its premature to call 3D a bust.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

The thing that pisses me off the most in all of this is this:

'Avatar' in 3D from the Blu-ray is still not available to the entire vast majority of regular people!

James Cameron can say all he wants, and Panasonic can claim all they want;
but the fact is that he and them are the biggest 3D killers of the entire planet!

And this I will never forget as long as I live! ...That tells you right there about people's own greed!
...And who don't share the benefits to the rest of the masses, or our society!
{They excluded themselves in the name of money, and not technology!}

Remember this folks, as it is one of the most valuable and true lesson about 3D,
and a whole lot more stuff in the world we live in...
Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Lee do you expect to see many more 3D video releases next year? I have enjoyed and purchased quite a few lately as the releases are really coming out now.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
This makes it sound like it isn't going anywhere:
Isn't going anywhere as in it isn't leaving us?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

More like 'Not expanding over a dismal reality'.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
The thing that pisses me off the most in all of this is this:

'Avatar' in 3D from the Blu-ray is still not available to the entire vast majority of regular people!

James Cameron can say all he wants, and Panasonic can claim all they want;
but the fact is that he and them are the biggest 3D killers of the entire planet!

And this I will never forget as long as I live! ...That tells you right there about people's own greed!
...And who don't share the benefits to the rest of the masses, or our society!
{They excluded themselves in the name of money, and not technology!}

Remember this folks, as it is one of the most valuable and true lesson about 3D,
and a whole lot more stuff in the world we live in...
Chicken or the egg problem?

Do you really think releasing Avatar in 3D generally would sell more units? Or is it a reasonable decision to hold off a general Avatar Blu-ray 3D release until the ownership base is larger?