'Arrested Development' coming back as Netflix exclusive in 2013 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 PM

Default 'Arrested Development' coming back as Netflix exclusive in 2013

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046367

Quote:
Netflix is licensing new episodes of the TV series "Arrested Development" from 20th Century Fox Television and Imagine Television.
The sides struck a deal with the streaming service that will launch new episodes of the Emmy-winning comedy in early 2013, the studio confirmed.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Didn't this show leave because of poor ratings? So Netflix picks up a show that fewer and fewer were watching with low ratings that has a very small vocal fan base? Netflix is spending like a Drunken Congressman!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:39 PM

That depends on your definition of "poor ratings". Many networks, and FOX in particular, drop even profitable shows just because the show isn't profitable "enough" for the timeslot. Also, Netflix's business model is vastly different, so we don't know how much profit it will turn for them. Even so, it may be a loss leader as they learn how to work original programming into their service.

I would like to see Netflix buy rights to "Firefly" from FOX next.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
That depends on your definition of "poor ratings". Many networks, and FOX in particular, drop even profitable shows just because the show isn't profitable "enough" for the timeslot. Also, Netflix's business model is vastly different, so we don't know how much profit it will turn for them. Even so, it may be a loss leader as they learn how to work original programming into their service.

I would like to see Netflix buy rights to "Firefly" from FOX next.
My definition of poor ratings= very few are watching. It was a high regarded show but had faltering ratings. Hey maybe with how well Reed Hastings has been doing at the Healm of Netflix lately he could take over creative control of the new Arrested series!:yay:
Old 11-21-2011, 05:46 PM

Loved Arrested Development .. and I think itís gain a substantial cult following after it went off the air. Maybe it's another "Family Guy" type thing, that can come back to life.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:58 PM

Wow, now I might have to finally get Netflix. Huge Arrested fan.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:02 PM

So the movie gets killed in favor of this? I like it as I had some serios misgivings about turning AD into a movie.