Blu-ray to finally outsell DVD players this Xmas, says Asda - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Default Blu-ray to finally outsell DVD players this Xmas, says Asda

At least in the UK.... :tongue: according to Asda (that's Wal-mart to you folks in the Colonies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techradar
Asda believes that the Blu-ray player will finally outsell DVD players this Christmas, with GfK data convincing the UK supermarket giant to focus on the more modern format.

Pointing to a "more subtle, though significant, difference in image quality" as the reason it's taken five years for Blu-ray to flourish, Asda believes that the tipping point has been reached.

Wayne Steenson, vision expert at Asda said: "More and more UK homes are now equipped to enjoy the full benefit of high-definition Blu-Ray discs and we're pleased to be offering Blu-Ray players at the lowest price in the market."

Supremacy
Asda is selling a Blu-ray player for £40 for the UK, with the ONN player offering a cheap entry to high definition spinning media.

Blu-ray has had to battle for this belated supremacy, fighting through an ill-judged format war against HD-DVD that did not help either in the race to replace DVD.

But the true threat appears to be coming from download –with people turning to digital HD versions of films and televisions in an increasingly connected world.

However, the tangible qualities of owning something solid remain for many, and after five long years it appears that Blu-ray is finally moving past its popular predecessor.
Blu-ray to finally outsell DVD players this Xmas, says Asda

Ray Von
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Von View Post
At least in the UK.... :tongue: according to Asda (that's Wal-mart to you folks in the Colonies).
Asda? Like:

Ass-duh
Azz-duh
Azz-dah
Ass-dah
Ass-Day

?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM

Should have included UK in the title. Kinda an important fact.

If Bluray can't outsell DVD players here in the states this year it would be a total failure for the format. Looks like Bluray out numbers DVD players on the surges here in the states by far at most stores.
I would hope so. DVDs are starting to disappear from shelves. So this news doesn't impress me anymore. Hey guys that really slow running guy finally won the marathon!! Oh but forgot to tell you. He was the only one in the race this year. . If you had posted this story last year or the year before it might have been more news worthy.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
If Bluray can't outsell DVD players here in the states this year it would be a total failure for the format.
Is there a link you have which supports this? Or, are you stating your opinion as fact? Seems like if we can just make shit up and state it as fact then I need to remind my boss that my salary is $500,000 a year and anything else is their own mistake.

That's the way it works right? You get to make it up and it becomes truth? While that make work for Enderle, most of us know that's just not reality.

Blu-ray will never be as big as DVD, but players, then discs, will eventually pass DVD, and then some form of digital will come and surpass both of them up. Then something else will replace that form of digital with another. Media will be more and more diverse over the years. But, right now, the pinnacle of A/V quality is BD, not DVD or downloads.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Asda? Like:

Ass-duh
Azz-duh
Azz-dah
Ass-dah
Ass-Day

?
Associated Daairies, as was. "As" as in "as" in "as in", "Da" as in "der", though the second syllable will be pronounced differently depending on which part of the UK the person saying it is from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius
Should have included UK in the title. Kinda an important fact.
The title of the thread is the title of the article, unadulterated, as is my preference If "Asda" didn't give it away, a quick read of the article would. I suppose some people might have read the title alone and spat their coffee out in outrage :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius
If you had posted this story last year or the year before it might have been more news worthy.
It's the UK's second largest retailer sounding the death knell for DVD players, AFAIK the first one to do so. Plus here in the UK we did start out somewhat behind the USA in adoption.

Ray Von
Old 11-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Is there a link you have which supports this? Or, are you stating your opinion as fact? Seems like if we can just make shit up and state it as fact then I need to remind my boss that my salary is $500,000 a year and anything else is their own mistake.

That's the way it works right? You get to make it up and it becomes truth? While that make work for Enderle, most of us know that's just not reality.

Blu-ray will never be as big as DVD, but players, then discs, will eventually pass DVD, and then some form of digital will come and surpass both of them up. Then something else will replace that form of digital with another. Media will be more and more diverse over the years. But, right now, the pinnacle of A/V quality is BD, not DVD or downloads.
Really? So explain to everyone how it's a success story if DVD players outsell Bluray players when DVD players are outnumbered by far on the shelves? I guess if you want to convince yourself that anything bad for bluray is good.

And why bring up "quality" when that has nothing to do with the discussion? Nobody is debating Blurays quality. Maybe it's a diversion technique because you don't have a real argument against my opinion.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Is there a link you have which supports this? Or, are you stating your opinion as fact?
Well lets be fair; if we expect everyone to only post factually provable comments replete with links and documentation then smackdown is dead and we're just left with the "Regurgitated News Articles" subforum.

I think the reader is able to discern that Mal's statement is not a fact, but quite clearly an opinion. I hope we haven't degenerated to the point where people are accused of lying on this forum simply because they don't put "IMO" in front of every sentence.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:

LMFAO!

Take a look at the OP AVI. It isn't a fact. It is nothing more then speculation.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
LMFAO!

Take a look at the OP AVI. It isn't a fact. It is nothing more then speculation.
Of course it is, otherwise it would be history :tongue:

However, it's speculation from a huge retailer who is willing to back that speculation with pounds and pence. Personally I don't have any problem with Mal expressing his own opinion on it, but by the same token I can't blame AV for asking him to back it up. I don't know why people are jumping on either, can't we all just get along?

Ray Von
Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Von View Post
Of course it is, otherwise it would be history :tongue:

However, it's speculation from a huge retailer who is willing to back that speculation with pounds and pence. Personally I don't have any problem with Mal expressing his own opinion on it, but by the same token I can't blame AV for asking him to back it up. I don't know why people are jumping on either, can't we all just get along?

Ray Von
Honestly, I don't know why people pay attention to the "opinions" of people like Mal, mike morrel etc. We have been hearing for years now what a failure Blu-Ray is. Yet, here we are 5+ years into Blu-Ray's life and all it has done is crush the competiton (HD-DVD) and it is still the fastest growing home video format. Digital? Well we see the numbers there. It is having a very hard time growing. Download kiosks that Mikemorell raved about? Umm, yeah enough said.

It kills these guys that Blu-Ray is still very much alive and kicking. There is nothing to really Smackdown anymore IMHO. Blu-Ray made it. It is here to stay for many more years. Oh, I am sure we will get more conspiratpcy theories about how the studios want to kill it off because it is a failure. But does anyone really doubt that you won't be able to buy a movie on Blu-Ray 5 years from now?