So when was the last bit of good news for HD-DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 AM

Default So when was the last bit of good news for HD-DVD

In recent times i recall lots of good news for Blu Ray. Store exclusives, 1 million units installed capable of playback, week on week outperformance on discs sold, first to get to 100,000 landmark for discs, more studios signing up to blu-ray with many doing so exclusively, dominant disc sales performance in europe...

Other than claiming to be the cheapest ,(and still not sgetting more support), what is the last bit of good news that can be reported for HD-DVD (other than being the first format available)? And also, what is it about HD-DVD that endears such hardcore devotion despite all this? (or should i have put, 'hardcore denial' ?)
Old 07-16-2007, 05:08 AM

Let me see
#1 Wait I think it was. My HD DVD version has better interactivity than your version
Old 07-16-2007, 05:09 AM

The day they invented the idea that if they ignore 100% of PS3s then HD DVD looks like its winning player sales.

HD DVD name is hard to misinterpret. Oh wait
Old 07-16-2007, 05:17 AM

The movie "300" comes in a combo with regular DVD and has little extras in it that will cost more than the Blu-ray version.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:17 AM

Is this a troll post since it's the 1st post?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter21 View Post
My HD DVD version has better interactivity than your version
Oh great, so you can watch some ugly directors mug in the corner of your screen while you watch the movie. I would rather have 50GB discs, 54mbps bitrate, hardcoating, non flipper discs, 24fps.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:32 AM

No, its not a troll post. I have been visiting this website for a few months and always enjoy reading these forums.

I feel my question was legitimate, when was the last bit of good HD-DVD news. What I often read, regardless of the affiliation or bias of any site I am on, is good news for bluray and devoted defense from HDDVD. Rather than spinning the statistics, what I would genuinely like to know is when there was last some new, good hddvd news?

I actually have no leanings leanings towards either format, but that doesnt mean it seems there is a scarcity of good news
Old 07-16-2007, 05:37 AM

And in 5 replies the only trump card appears to be interactiviy. The last thing I want to do when settle down and i fire up a film for a good nights vieiwng is start interacting with it! I would drive my family mad!

Thats not a criticism of HDDVD but any format that has too much interactivity. I remember the first Matrix and the 'follow the white rabbit' feature, a good idea but also a pain. Same to with discs with short 5-minute featurettes and no 'Play all' option. People (and me especially) are inherently lazy.

Interactivity will not be the killer app for either disc!!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renleg View Post
Other than claiming to be the cheapest ,(and still not sgetting more support), what is the last bit of good news that can be reported for HD-DVD (other than being the first format available)?
amazon customflix indie films initiative:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=10860
Old 07-16-2007, 05:43 AM

The rise in standalone sales due the the price cut of players was good news and more important than the customflix deal.

The fact that it didn't lead (so far) to an increased software market share is puzzling.